Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 10 Feb 2017, 1:21 pm

freeman3 wrote:Well, we did keep Jews out fleeing from Nazi persecution...not one of our better moments as a country. We can give in to our fears and prejudices...or we can let professionals make reasoned assessments about people coming in to our country. It would seem that since 9-11 that our intelligence services have done a very good job in keeping the bad guys out and letting other people in. Trump wants metaphorically to get rid of the whole stack of hay in order to make sure the needle does not sneak in. That is just not right.

No, I think you impute too much to Trump. I think he wants to ensure the vetting is done right.

And, I don't believe FDR knew precisely how bad it was. Either that, or he was a villain.

I wouldn't agree our intel services have done a good job. Some of the terrorists who have hit us waved jihadi flags in our face before attacking. Major Hasan being an obvious one.

Overall, I think we've been too willing to suppress what we know about Islam in order to be "fair-minded."

Given their relatively small percentage of the US population, they've done more than a fair amount of attacking. If Jews had done half as much terrorism as the Muslims have, the liberals would be up in arms.
Statesman

Post 10 Feb 2017, 1:33 pm

Fate
Christians are being slaughtered, so an exception would seem to make sense, wouldn't it?

In Syria Sunnis, Druze and Yazidis are being slaughtered as well as Christians.
But they are banned.
In Iraq, Shia minorities face enormous discrimination. But they are banned. Even if they've fought as part of the coalition against ISIS.

Fate
This is not a ban. It's a suspension until proper vetting standards are in place.

What was wrong with the current vetting standards?
Since they seem to have kept terrorists out from the 7 countries listed (there being no events of terrorism from immigrants or refugees from them) they seem to have worked well.
Just because Trump says terrorists are getting in, doesn't make it so. Based on his track record, its far safer to automatically believe the opposite of what comes out of his mouth.
Statesman

Post 10 Feb 2017, 1:38 pm

fate
I wouldn't agree our intel services have done a good job.

The debate isn't about how well American Intelligence services have done in the US.
Since the person you note is an American......
Nidal Malik Hasan
September 8, 1970 (age 46)[1]
Arlington County, Virginia, U.S.

But about whether or not the current immigration and refugee vetting is working...
Point to failures in that system, rather than to American self radicalized lone wolves like Hassan.
Hassan, and others Americans like him, are in no way, is a justification for the immigration ban.
Ambassador

Post 10 Feb 2017, 1:42 pm

rickyp wrote:Fate
Christians are being slaughtered, so an exception would seem to make sense, wouldn't it?

In Syria Sunnis, Druze and Yazidis are being slaughtered as well as Christians.
But they are banned.
In Iraq, Shia minorities face enormous discrimination. But they are banned. Even if they've fought as part of the coalition against ISIS.

Prove it.

Fate
This is not a ban. It's a suspension until proper vetting standards are in place.

What was wrong with the current vetting standards?

Wrong question.

Why shouldn't Trump have the opportunity to review them? That is the question.
Ambassador

Post 10 Feb 2017, 1:45 pm

rickyp wrote:fate
I wouldn't agree our intel services have done a good job.

The debate isn't about how well American Intelligence services have done in the US.
Since the person you note is an American......
Nidal Malik Hasan
September 8, 1970 (age 46)[1]
Arlington County, Virginia, U.S.

But about whether or not the current immigration and refugee vetting is working...
Point to failures in that system, rather than to American self radicalized lone wolves like Hassan.
Hassan, and others Americans like him, are in no way, is a justification for the immigration ban.

Yeah, I know he's an American. You're being moronic.

He was in the freaking Army for crying out loud.

Here's the problem: if they were willing to overlook his terror connections and statements, why should we just accept that anyone in the government knows what they're doing?

He called himself a "Soldier of Islam."

And yet, the government called his terror attack "workplace violence."

If you need more evidence of political-correctness endangering the safety of Americans, I've got plenty. Meanwhile, why don't you just stay nice and safe (and silent) in Canada? We'll handle our own safety, thanks.
Administrator

Post 10 Feb 2017, 2:01 pm

http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/terror-attacks-radical-islam/2015/12/07/id/704847/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Little_Rock_recruiting_office_shooting
A convert to Islam, Muhammad had gone to Yemen in 2007 to teach English, staying about 16 months. He was deported from Yemen to the United States, after having overstayed his visa and been detained.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faisal_Shahzad
In 2008, while in Pakistan, he asked his father for permission to fight in Afghanistan,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzhokhar_Tsarnaev
As children, Tamerlan and Dzhokhar lived in Tokmok, Kyrgyzstan. In 2001, the family moved to Makhachkala, Dagestan, in the Russian Federation. In April 2002, the Tsarnaev parents and Dzhokhar went to the United States on a 90-day tourist visa. Anzor Tsarnaev applied for asylum, citing fears of deadly persecution due to his ties to Chechnya.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Chattanooga_shootings
Abdulazeez migrated to the U.S. with his family in 1996 and became a U.S. citizen in 2003. During the Second Intifada, Abdulazeez, then fifteen, traveled with his father to Jamma'in, the village in the West Bank where the father was born, with the goal of acquiring a Palestinian ID

Here are 4 instances of the intelligence community failing to stop someone re-entering the United States and committing terror acts.

Quote from Freeman: It would seem that since 9-11 that our intelligence services have done a very good job in keeping the bad guys out and letting other people in.

Nine dead people and 200 wounded would disagree with you rather vehemently...
Adjutant

Post 10 Feb 2017, 2:32 pm

Any of these guys from the 7 nations? And, yes, I think that since we have been in a global fight against Islamic terrorism that 9 people dead in 15 years ain't bad in any case. No vetting is perfect. 43 murders occur in the US...every day on average. 43 a day. 9 dying from terrorist attacks that you mentioned as compared to over 200,000 being murdered in the US in the same period of time.
Statesman

Post 10 Feb 2017, 3:34 pm

Fate
Why shouldn't Trump have the opportunity to review them? That is the question

No. He can order a review at any time. And should. And if there is evidence that there are better methods of vetting he should have them ordered a change.

The question is, why is there a need to ban everyone for 90 days in order to review the process? Can't people walk and chew gum at the same time?

What immediate threat, or evidence of breakdown in the vetting process would cause such emergent action?
As noted there were enormous disruptions and damage as a result of this ill considered ban. The Ninth circuit asked if the Administration had any evidence that there was emergent need. None was offered.There was no justification other than the Presidents perogative.
Statesman

Post 10 Feb 2017, 3:50 pm

bbauska
Here are 4 instances of the intelligence community failing to stop someone re-entering the United States and committing terror acts.

As American citizens, they could not be stopped from entering the country, even on Trumps ban.
Except for Shazad, none had committed offences while abroad that they could have been charged with either.
And there were very complicated reasons for each of them radicalizing. Three of the five were mentally ill.
From your source:
Abdulazeez had drug and alcohol problems, and his family tried to place him in a rehabilitation program. The New York Times reported that limits on the family's health insurance coverage "thwarted their plan to have him go into rehab." The investigation after the shooting revealed that Abdulazeez "had serious psychological problems."

Decent health insurance might have done more to stop this terrorist than anything...
Administrator

Post 10 Feb 2017, 6:45 pm

Didn't say they should be prohibited from re-entering the country. I was merely providing proof that the intelligence community cannot ensure safety, as Freeman inferred.
Statesman

Post 10 Feb 2017, 8:02 pm

bbauska
I was merely providing proof that the intelligence community cannot ensure safety, as Freeman inferred.

You were attempting to conflate the entry of American citizens who later committed acts of terror with the issue of whether immigrants or refugees who are rigorously vetted for 18 months should instead be banned while someone figures out how to improve an already almost perfect vetting regimen.

Besides; Freeman has pointed to the record of safe entrance of immigrants and refugees from the 7 countries. None have committed acts of terrorism since 1980.
That's a pretty good record.
we can also point to the similar safety record for all refugees since 1980.

The focus on the supposed threat from immigrants and refugees is conning people.
Meanwhile the things that are really dangerous in the US, the things that are really killing people before their time, are ignored or deemed acceptable risk.
Ambassador

Post 10 Feb 2017, 9:25 pm

rickyp wrote:Fate
Why shouldn't Trump have the opportunity to review them? That is the question

No. He can order a review at any time. And should. And if there is evidence that there are better methods of vetting he should have them ordered a change.

The question is, why is there a need to ban everyone for 90 days in order to review the process? Can't people walk and chew gum at the same time?

What immediate threat, or evidence of breakdown in the vetting process would cause such emergent action?
As noted there were enormous disruptions and damage as a result of this ill considered ban. The Ninth circuit asked if the Administration had any evidence that there was emergent need. None was offered.There was no justification other than the Presidents perogative.

There is no reason not to have a 90 day pause. No, Trump cannot walk and chew gum simultaneously. The reason? Because the so-called "Democrats" won't even give the man his cabinet. What they are doing is unprecedented--and un American. It's like they've all become Canadians.
Administrator

Post 10 Feb 2017, 10:06 pm

Don't tell me what I am doing unless you have proof. You don't.

I was doing exactly what I said. Freeman places too much faith in the intelligence community. The more inspection, the better.

I had a saying as a weapons guy in the military... In God we trust, all others we track.

https://www.redbubble.com/people/davedelben/works/9350727-in-god-we-trust-all-others-we-track?p=sticker
Ambassador

Post 11 Feb 2017, 3:50 am

bbauska wrote:Because we have a border. That border needs enforcement. There are illegal aliens entering the country. There are people coming from "dangerous countries". That is why.

Are you saying we should have borders, but not enforce them?

You do already. I know someone who had to take 6 months of checks to get a tourist visa, a UK citizen (not dual with another country), lived here all their life. Now I know the reason why, and I understand it. But do not create a false narrative that until Trump's EO there were no checks.
Ambassador

Post 11 Feb 2017, 3:53 am

Doctor Fate wrote:
There is no reason not to have a 90 day pause. No, Trump cannot walk and chew gum simultaneously. The reason? Because the so-called "Democrats" won't even give the man his cabinet. What they are doing is unprecedented--and un American. It's like they've all become Canadians.
WTF?
So, which cabinet picks have been rejected so far? Sessions and DeVos are already in.

Part of the delay that he had not actually properly nominated them all as early as his predecessors. And most of his recent predecessors had not had their full cabinet approved by now: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38913709

At its most basic level, Mr Trump's tweet about the historic nature of the delays in assembling his "full cabinet" is demonstrably false.
As of 8 February, Mr Trump has had six of his 15 cabinet selections confirmed by the Senate, with several more awaiting final Senate approval. While he still has a way to go before his entire team is in place, it's hardly historic at this point.
Bill Clinton didn't have his final spot filled until 11 March. Republican George HW Bush took until 17 March. Barack Obama holds the modern record, as his last pick - Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius - didn't get her Senate vote until 28 April.
Only George W Bush, who like Mr Trump won the presidency without securing a plurality of the popular vote, had his full team in place within weeks of his inauguration, following John Ashcroft's confirmation as attorney general on 30 January.

And...

Part of the reason it took so long to fit those last pieces into their cabinets is because those past presidents had to withdraw initial selections due to scandal or insurmountable political opposition. George HW Bush's defence pick, John Tower, was voted down by the Senate. Mr Clinton swung and missed twice on attorney general before settling on Janet Reno. Mr Obama withdrew commerce nominees twice and health and human services once.
So far, Mr Trump has stuck with his original picks - although labour secretary nominee Andrew Puzder has yet to complete his ethics review and has had his confirmation hearing delayed four times.
Puzder isn't the only one of Mr Trump's wealthy nominees who has had difficulty completing the Office of Government Ethics' vetting paperwork, which has contributed to confirmation delays. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross were among those who were tardy in complying with background-check requirements.
Mr Trump was also remarkably slow to come up with several cabinet picks. He didn't announce Veterans Affairs nominee David Shulkin until 11 January. Agriculture pick Sonny Perdue was unveiled just two days before inauguration on 20 January - an astounding fact, considering of Mr Trump's four predecessors, only four original nominations came after New Year's Day (George HW Bush's energy pick James Watkins was the latest, on 12 January).

Yes, Democrats are obstructionist. But as I understand it, the Republicans have the votes in Congress to win votes. But your narrative is false.

Also note that some nominees were late with their paperwork