Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 24 Jan 2017, 6:33 pm

Please come up with something Obama said remotely similar to Trump saying he lost the popular vote because 3 million illegals voted? All politician dance around the truth;Trump just takes truth and throws it out the window. I never thought we would hear the phrase "alternative facts" by a presidential spokeswoman. Trump's lies are different in volume and scope (some of them are truly absurd ones). Of course Republicans and Democrats disagree on facts, but it is kept within a narrow enough range so that there is an objective underlying reality that we agree on, though we disagree on things at the margins. Trump with his absurd lies threatens to undercut that social/political reality that we agree on. That's dangerous.
Last edited by freeman3 on 24 Jan 2017, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adjutant

Post 24 Jan 2017, 6:42 pm

By the way, I broke down Trump's CIA speech and analyzed basically what he said. Here it is:

(1)Nobody feels stronger about the intelligence community
(2) You’re going to get so much backing that please no more backing
(3) The military and intelligence community voted for me
(4) We’re going to do great things; we’re going to get rid of ISIS
(5) You’re getting a gem in CIA director Pompey
(6) Pompeo was #1 in his class at West Point and I believe strongly in academics and I had an uncle who was a great professor at MIT and trust me I’m a smart person
(7) Pompeo is the most important person (with regard to defeating ISIS?)And the generals are wonderful and the fighting is wonderful
(8) We have to start winning again
(9) When I was young—I feel young I feel like I am 30, 35, 39 and in the final month of the campaign I felt young—when I was young we were always winning.We don't win anymore.
(10) To the victor belongs the spoil-we should have kept the oil in Iraq. I did not want to go into Iraq but once we were there we should have kept the oil. If we kept the oil maybe no ISIS. Maybe you should have another chance but we should have kept the oil.
(11) You guys are going to be instrumental in making us winners again and I am behind you 1,000 percent.
(12) You’re my first stop because I am a running feud with the media and they are dishonest and they made it sound like I had a feud with you and it’s exactly the opposite which is why you are my first stop.
(13) Did everyone like my speech? And we had a huge crowd and the networks show an empty field, wait a minute, I made a speech, I looked out and it looked like a million, a million and a half people. They said it was going to rain but God looked down and he said we’re not going to let it rain on your speech.
(14) It looked like there was a million and a half people and the networks said there was only 250,000 people and that was a lie, We caught them in a beauty and they are going to pay a big price.
(15) There’s a beautiful statute of Martin Luther King and I also happen to like Winston Churchill. I like Churchill he was a real ally. And the Churchill statute was taken out. And the Prime Minister is coming over and they want to know whether or not like it back and I said yes but meantime we have a bust of Churchill
(16) I have been on the cover of Time Magazine 14 or 15 times, I think that is an all-time record.
(17) But Zeke from Time Magazine lied and said I took down the statute of Dr Martin Luther KIng.
(18) The retraction was a line
(19) We may have to get a larger room next time when I came.
(20) I love you, I respect you and we’re going to start winning again.

You cannot tell me that someone with a brain like that is going to be a good president.
Ambassador

Post 24 Jan 2017, 7:08 pm

rickyp wrote:Is it anti-Trump to challenge provably false claims? To call them what they are?
Why wouldn't you care if the media if the media went after the truth or not?

It is anti-Trump to spin everything against him. They are demonstrating they are quite content to ignore whatever good he does and to stress his idiotic statements.
Administrator

Post 24 Jan 2017, 7:58 pm

I know you can admit the Pres Obama was "loose" with the facts concerning Obamacare. RickyP defends it to the hilt, but hollers like a stuck pig about Trump. He is representative of the hyperventilating Left. Hypocritical...

As for Pres Trump, facts are facts..., regardless of political affiliation.
Emissary

Post 24 Jan 2017, 8:44 pm

Freeman,

Come now, you are clearly suffering from the fact that you are now winning so much, you've become bored with winning.

:sleep:
Emissary

Post 24 Jan 2017, 9:05 pm

Sassenach wrote:

The traditional media has been teetering on the edge of bankruptcy for a long time now because of the internet and the way a whole generation now expects to get everything for free. The approach that they've adopted to try and stay afloat is to be as shrill and controversial as possible so as to catch more fleeting attention in the hope of getting advertising revenue. I wouldn't expect this to change anytime soon because if there was a big enough market for moderate and unbiased reporting they'd still be doing it.

Eloquently put.
Statesman

Post 25 Jan 2017, 6:55 am

fate
It is anti-Trump to spin everything against him. They are demonstrating they are quite content to ignore whatever good he does and to stress his idiotic statements.

What good has he done?

Buying the Carrier jobs ?
But the deal will only save about 800 jobs that were initially slated to be outsourced, fewer than the roughly 1,000 initially reported. That means an estimated 400 to 500 workers at the plant, as well as 700 employees at another plant owned by related company in Huntington, Ind., will still lose their jobs.
Some economic development experts said the agreement is troubling.
"It's a potentially dangerous policy where you reward a company that threatens to leave. ... In this case, you're rewarding a company that is actually cutting a lot of jobs in the state," said Steve Weitzner of site selection firm Silverlode Consulting.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/carrier-tr ... -1.3879089

What else?
The problem is, that all Trump is , so far, is idiotic statements.
Statesman

Post 25 Jan 2017, 7:13 am

bbauska
Why is that?
You can keep your insurance.
You can keep your doctor
Your costs will go down
There are many more; that is just from the Obamacare start up!
My question is why do you defend the Democrat, but chide the Republican? Bias, perhaps?

We've debated your health care system many times. Surely you know from my rants on that topic that I think the ACA is pretty awful.... (Just better than what existed before. And based on offerings so far on whatever is supposed to replace it...
And do remember that the ACA is a product of Congress, and the thousands of compromises that had to be made.
But as for Obama's "lies"? They weren't. They just came with some unspoken conditions...Conditions he should have spoken I agree...

You can keep your insurance (As long as the insurance you had met minimal standards. And why anyone would want a policy that couldn't meet minimal standards... like no life time caps..... That's a question of protecting uniformed and ill-informed consumers who cannot evaluate risk or benefits in a complicated financial contract. The policies. Kind of like if there were better ways of protecting consumers from joining fraudulent educational institutions like Trump University . )

You can keep your doctor. (As long as he is willing to keep you, and by that as long as he is willing to abide by the terms of insurance policies. This is a uniquely American problem, before the ACA and after.)
Your costs will go down. (For most it did for awhile...But the ACA doesn't really attack the underlying problems of medical costs. Give Trump his due, he says he's going to negotiate with drug companies and drive down prescription costs. If he does this great.)

On health care, Bernie was right though.
Administrator

Post 25 Jan 2017, 9:37 am

Yes, RickyP, you have said the ACA is not good. I did not say that. I said that you have given the previous president a pass when it came to lying. I used the ACA as examples. I will not debate the ACA again. I am pointing out your jaundiced perspective.

You are not giving the current president the same attitude.

I think it is bias, what say you?
Administrator

Post 25 Jan 2017, 12:37 pm

Our liberal friends,
Why do you insist Obama told no lies? Admit them, maybe claim they were few but to claim he was some sort of saint is a bit foolish. let's use your own beloved Politifact as a start:
http://www.politifact.com/personalities ... ing/false/

Now let's compare to the recent Trump nonsense you guys are moaning about...
Trump claims he lost the popular vote because of what three million? illegal votes for Hillary?
Here's the problem, Trump can not prove his statement and he is a moron for making the claim but the problem is you can't "prove" he is is wrong either. Granted you don't have to prove it but in your zeal to show how wrong Trump is
Is it anti-Trump to challenge provably false claims?

again, you can't PROVE his claims are false, all you can do is deny his claims and debunk his supposed facts if he ever came out with any, you are allowing him to win!
Ambassador

Post 25 Jan 2017, 1:30 pm

rickyp wrote:The problem is, that all Trump is , so far, is idiotic statements.

I would disagree. I think many of his cabinet appointments are fantastic (and, no, I don't want to debate them here). I like his executive orders. I like a lot of the things he has done.
Statesman

Post 25 Jan 2017, 2:00 pm

bbauska
I said that you have given the previous president a pass when it came to lying. I used the ACA as examples

Well i demonstrated that the ACA statements weren't bald faced lies...
And I don't give him a pass.
Objective analysis says he lied about 150 times. twice particularly egregiously.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/barack-obama/
The PolitiFact scorecard

True123 (21%)(123)
Mostly True163 (27%)(163)
Half True160 (27%)(160)
Mostly False70 (12%)(70)
False71 (12%)(71)
pants on fire 2% 9

the score card for trump is pretty much the opposite. He tells the truth about 16% of the time, and lies 70% of the time.
The PolitiFact scorecard for Trump.

True15 (4%)(15)
Mostly True42 (12%)(42)
Half True51 (14%)(51)
Mostly False67 (19%)(67)
False116 (33%)(116)
Pants on Fire62 (18%
Ambassador

Post 25 Jan 2017, 3:18 pm

rickyp wrote:bbauska
I said that you have given the previous president a pass when it came to lying. I used the ACA as examples

Well i demonstrated that the ACA statements weren't bald faced lies...

What? Where?

And I don't give him a pass.
Objective analysis says he lied about 150 times. twice particularly egregiously.

Sorry, but there is nothing "objective" about this analysis.

Here's a pretty good opinion about Trump: http://thefederalist.com/2017/01/23/don ... modernism/
Statesman

Post 26 Jan 2017, 7:24 am

fate
Sorry, but there is nothing "objective" about this analysis.

Thank you for your alternative fact.
Emissary

Post 26 Jan 2017, 7:27 am

Fate wrote:

Here's a pretty good opinion about Trump: http://thefederalist.com/2017/01/23/don ... modernism/

"Pretty good?"

Fantastic article. I'm sharing this one with quite a few folks.

Thanks for posting it.