Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Emissary

Post 07 Dec 2016, 9:45 am

I don't know what to make of this.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/12/07/world/asia/rodrigo-duterte-philippines-drugs-killings.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Duterte has a drug problem that is out of control. He doesn't have the resources presumably to do much about it. He's watching the drug trade expand within his country like a plague. He doesn't even have enough prisons to hold those captured. Still mass murder strikes me as a bit draconian. What a tragedy for the police though obviously some of them don't see it that way.

Putting aside for a moment the morality of such an approach, can a program like this even succeed? I don't see how it can.

And since I can no longer believe anything I read about Trump. Did the fool actually condone Dutere?

I believe to kill another human being is never justified unless done in self defense. Though I am not pretending to have a solution to the drug epidemic.

On some levels I'm concerned that if this plan does succeed it may become a blueprint for other nations.

Thoughts?
Administrator

Post 07 Dec 2016, 12:22 pm

I could see the "blueprint" being used in SOME other nations, but few of them any of us have really heard of. I think the real problem is such violence often leads to more violence on the other side, all of a sudden you have a real war raging that sucks other nations (that we have heard of) into the mix!