Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 08 Dec 2016, 6:31 am

First, no I do not live in the city, I live in the suburbs where we have little crime.
Second, you could tell me they had a zero homicide rate and that wouldn't change any of the other problems. It was pointed out how San Fran had terrible crime problems and your answer was you managed to not get shot as some sort of proof that wasn't the case.

You are right about the city of Rochester, there are many areas here I would never even drive through but if I did (and survived) I would not attempt to say we had no problem now would I?
Unfortunately I can't get away from our terrible weather, next weeks forecast is for temps in the teens (F) and snow measured by the feet.
Ambassador

Post 08 Dec 2016, 7:49 am

I was not offering it as proof that SF is perfect. More as a juxtaposition to Fate's argument by single case that it is hell on earth.

Comparing with the various US cities I have visited, SF is one of my favourites (which is why I spent my 40th there). Cities themselves are more prone to crime, and have extremes of poverty and wealth by their nature. Whereas suburbs tend to be more class-homogeneous and lower density by their nature.

Anyway, back to votes and recounts. Why are US vote counts so inefficient and error-prone? Ours are by hand and seem quicker and more consistent.
Ambassador

Post 08 Dec 2016, 11:01 am

danivon wrote:I was not offering it as proof that SF is perfect. More as a juxtaposition to Fate's argument by single case that it is hell on earth.

Oh, it's not hell on Earth. However, the city limits should be fully padded.
Administrator

Post 08 Dec 2016, 11:58 am

I don't think the error rate is very high at all. If you had an incredibly close election, I can see the need to recount but here we have States that were won by tens of thousands of votes, those numbers just will not change and this is a waste of time.

(oh, Florida several years ago is an exception! Back then they used a card that required the voter to punch. That lead to the whole "Hanging Chad" problem that has since been done away with. It was a stupid way to do it from the start, partly why they named the State "FloriDUHHHH")
Adjutant

Post 08 Dec 2016, 12:30 pm

San Francisco is just a symbol to social conservatives--a large gay population, sanctuary city, liberal. A social conservative does not even have to go there to know how bad it is. In fact, its violent crime rate is not even close to cities like Baltimore, St Louis, Memphis, etc. and a bit worse than Los Angeles and New York. More importantly, it's the quintessential most liberal city of the most liberal state that social conservatives can't stand.
Ambassador

Post 08 Dec 2016, 4:36 pm

freeman3 wrote:San Francisco is just a symbol to social conservatives--a large gay population, sanctuary city, liberal. A social conservative does not even have to go there to know how bad it is. In fact, its violent crime rate is not even close to cities like Baltimore, St Louis, Memphis, etc. and a bit worse than Los Angeles and New York. More importantly, it's the quintessential most liberal city of the most liberal state that social conservatives can't stand.

I have been there. How crazy is it? This crazy: they had to ban going into restaurants nude.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/2 ... 24533.html