Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 10 May 2011, 9:33 am

Now this is when I would really like to have access to all the old threads--particularly the ones from almost exactly 4 years ago. I remember some people wagering that a certain presidential candidate would be long forgotten by now.

Specifically, after one of the debates, this candidate was accused of 'spamming' the polls. In that particular debate, he made a name for himself with a heated exchange with one of the front-runners in that election.

We all know who I'm talking about. Is it time to say your predictions were wrong?

Juan Williams says:

It was almost exactly four years ago when Ron Paul sparred with former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani in a 2008 Republican presidential primary debate. Paul said about the role of U.S. policy in bringing about the 9/11 attacks: “They attack us because we’ve been over there, we’ve been bombing Iraq for 10 years. We’ve been in the Middle East. I think Reagan was right. We don’t understand the irrationality of Middle Eastern politics.”

Giuliani shot back: “That’s an extraordinary statement of someone who lived through the attack of Sept. 11, that we invited the attack because we were attacking Iraq. I would ask the congressman to withdraw that comment and tell us that he didn’t really mean that.”

Who could have guessed that, four years later, Giuliani would be off the stage while the persistent Paul is growing, exhibiting more and more power in Republican politics, shaping the GOP debates and in the absence of any strong establishment candidate, looking like a strong contender for the party’s 2012 nomination?

And

Who polls the best against Obama from the GOP?

Who does best against Obama? Paul. The congressman from Texas, who also ran as a libertarian candidate for president in 1988 and who is well liked by many in the tea party movement, trails the president by only seven points (52 to 45 percent) in a hypothetical general election showdown. Huckabee trails by eight points, with Romney down 11 points to Obama.
Emissary

Post 10 May 2011, 10:15 am

Pretty sure you can still access the archive threads if you really want to waste an evening of your life....
Ambassador

Post 10 May 2011, 11:40 am

I don't know about 'forgotten', but I'm pretty sure there were plenty who said that Ron Paul had no real chance of getting the GOP nomination, let along win the Presidency, while his supporters waxed lyrical about how well he was going to do right up until the first few Primaries showed that all the straw polls in the world are but a hill of beans compared to actual votes.

Who would think ten years ago that Newt Gingrich would be running?