Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 10 Nov 2016, 7:39 pm

Our Democratic mayor, Betsy Hodges---always ready to embarrass her office---posted the following Plea for Hope (my title) on her Facebook page, just after Trump's election:

https://www.facebook.com/betsy.hodges.7/posts/10209471115069461

To those who awoke afraid and more vulnerable to a President who has pledged to attack you: I stand with you, your city stands with you, and we will find a way through. To my Muslim, Mexican, immigrant, indigenous, LGBTQ, low-income, of-color, women, Jewish, and other friends: you are not alone, I and all allies stand strong with you, we will create more and better allies, and we will find a path forward. Together.

To my fellow white people: we get to do a lot of work with one another. We have been surprised by our brothers and sisters who are so angry, scared, and confused that Donald Trump seemed like a solution to a problem. We cannot expect people of color to lead us out of this. We can’t expect blame, attack, and criticism to magically make people less angry, scared, or confused. We get to tackle our own confusions about one another and find a way forward. Together.

That is not an invitation to naiveté. People’s lives, livelihoods, safety, and well-being are at stake. We must continue, as always, to take a stand against what is coming, to fight for and with people against the meanness that is upon us. We must continue, as always, to stand for what is best in us as people – helping rather than hindering, inclusion rather than division.

The first order of business, however, is to grieve, to rage, to confess confusion, to shake with fear. Only when we let ourselves feel fully do we free our minds enough to think clearly about what is next. Then we get to remember that we have one another, we know how to organize, and we know how to stand up, dust off, and take the next step. Together.
This is how Minneapolis is strong. We come together. I believe in us.

Keep in mind, this is the Mayor of Minneapolis charging that Trump has pledged to attack every ethnic and protected class she can rattle off (she forgot short people who wear glasses). Hodges writes as if she is the leader of a French Underground unit in WWII, romantically resisting a Nazi attack, with patriotic music swelling in the background as the bombs begin to fall.
Truthfully, weren't you thinking of "Casablanca" at this point?

In paragraph two, she breaks out a fundamental premise of Liberal Thought: We can't expect minorities to solve their own problems, so it will take Hodges and her "fellow white people" to step in and Save the Day for the Minorities. Once Again. Hooray!

To my fellow white people: we get to do a lot of work with one another. We have been surprised by our brothers and sisters who are so angry, scared, and confused that Donald Trump seemed like a solution to a problem.

Mayor Hodges channels her inner MLK as she condescendingly refers to people who voted for Trump as confused and needing reorientation from morally superior Liberals/Democrats. Well, she has a point. I'm sure many people who voted for Trump were confused, just as many Liberals who did not vote were just put off by Hillary. But Hodges continues:

[url]The first order of business, however, is to grieve, to rage, to confess confusion, to shake with fear.[/url]

Apparently, like most of the other Democrats and Pollsters, she had no idea so many people were upset with the political status quo around the country. By this point in her grief, I'm pretty sure Betsy Hodges had already slipped into her ethnically-approved Hip-Hop clothes (purchased from a rich "white people's" store) and put on her hijab. That headdress is something she likes to wear when meeting with her sister minorities from Islamic countries to show her symbolic sympathy for the oppression of women. Or maybe she just thinks it is a fashion statement Islamic women willingly adopted.

It's a statement for the Ages.
Ambassador

Post 11 Nov 2016, 6:57 am

A lot of Muslim women do take up the hijab willingly and freely. It not a fashion statement for them, neither is it a political one. The mayor may be pandering when she wears it, but do not assume you know why all Muslim women who wear a head covering do so.
Dignitary

Post 11 Nov 2016, 8:05 am

danivon wrote:A lot of Muslim women do take up the hijab willingly and freely. It not a fashion statement for them, neither is it a political one. The mayor may be pandering when she wears it, but do not assume you know why all Muslim women who wear a head covering do so.

Oh, there are different reasons, to be sure. But I know it is largely a prescribed mode of dress for women, usually based on religious beliefs. It is the law in several countries where Islam is the official language. And there is peer pressure, too. So, a teenager will wear jeans because every other teenager is. I know that many women wear it in this country as a matter of cultural identity and custom.
Administrator

Post 11 Nov 2016, 10:00 am

honestly, this is (to me) just another example of people who make the Democratic party all the more racist looking. While this person is going overboard trying to show she is anything but racist, she goes and shows exactly the opposite.

Only the Democrats can love other races
Minorities must be Democrats
They have no room for any thought other than their own and people of any minority of course are all the same. Blacks all think alike, Jews all think alike, Gays all think alike, this is nothing more than pathetic racist thinking.
Adjutant

Post 11 Nov 2016, 10:14 am

Whenever you reduce people by lumping them as belonging to a certain group you miss a lot because there is a lot of complexity to people. A Trump voter concerned about immigration....might be a great guy who volunteers his time to help disadvantaged minorities. But then again it is necessary to attempt to describe people who get together in groups in some fashion. It is a conundrum.
Dignitary

Post 11 Nov 2016, 12:12 pm

freeman3 wrote:Whenever you reduce people by lumping them as belonging to a certain group you miss a lot because there is a lot of complexity to people. A Trump voter concerned about immigration....might be a great guy who volunteers his time to help disadvantaged minorities. But then again it is necessary to attempt to describe people who get together in groups in some fashion. It is a conundrum.

Agreed! Categorization is an inherent component of our thinking, and probably an original skill to aid survival. Even animals must depend upon it: "Does it look like a predator? If so, avoid it." But over-reliance, or misuse, of categorization can lead to big mistakes. As happened in this election.