Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Emissary

Post 12 Oct 2016, 9:54 pm

It seems as if the Redscape bulletin board has become eerily silent.

It's almost as if Redscapers have instinctively moved beyond commenting on what has become the saddest Jerry Springer episode of partisan insanity ever unleashed on the American public.

Both sides are horrific. Both sides will stop at nothing to influence the public. Both sides are responsible for what's become a spectacle of epic proportions.

I said in an earlier post that as a result of this election process, I no longer believe in American democracy. And now to watch the current pageantry of ass clowns degrading the office of the presidency beyond recognition, I am sure of its demise.

Further, if the American media could be likened to a pack of hyenas, piranha or sharks, they are now being fed raw meat daily from both sides on the hour, every hour. Their yelps and howls of joy are unceasing. But I hesitate to take the analogy further out of respect for hyenas, piranha and sharks.

This may be the first time that I can remember the Redscape bulletin board going dark on its political page. I for my part have nothing more to say about any of it, other than to make this simple observation.
Adjutant

Post 12 Oct 2016, 10:19 pm

Well, RJ stopped contributing for the most part several months ago. DF is not contributing and Danivon has slowed down considerably. Ricky seemed to be gone for a while, too. On the other hand, Sass has been more active, you have contributed, George has been more active and Tom has come back. Discussion boards need someone to drive discussions and there probably needs to be an expectation that someone is going to read and respond. We're in as dead a period as I can remember and yet there are plenty of things to discuss. I gotta admit I don't have a lot of motivation to post new stuff and I cannot exactly pinpoint why, but I'm sure it has something to do with how dead discussions are.
Dignitary

Post 13 Oct 2016, 5:49 am

More like a general malaise: A tiresome rejoinder that there is nothing but more of the same and the same is just the realization that we see an awful truth: For the first time (perhaps) politicians are acknowledging that they really don't care what the voters think; they openly admit that they are in it for themselves and that they think it is fine to say whatever is necessary - however contradictory - to get the votes of any specific group of people. As just "the regular people", we've always felt that was how politics worked, but politicians have heretofore avoided pulling back the curtain to reveal that truth.

No more.

It was marginally better, more optimistic, when politicians and parties at least kept up the thin veneer of representational politics and values. We could revel in our cynical conspiracies of secret political cartels versus Mr Smith Goes to Washington (or the modern version: Paul Wellstone Goes to Washington). There was a time when we thought politicians got where they were through good deeds, hard work, and some simple graft. We once thought JFK got to be President because he was a war hero, a likeable guy, married to a beautiful woman, and was a good representative for the people (even if he was a Catholic, which was quite alarming back then).

After seeing one Jerry Springer show (or others in that vein), how could you watch another one? And what can you say about those who do? You realize that these participants are not normal people, but are put on in a contrived situation to amplify their personal problems and mental issues; and prompted to react in as emotional and physical way possible.

All for entertainment (in spite of the hypocritical sermonizing of he host). But if you are thinking I'm alluding only to Trump, you'd be very wrong.
Ambassador

Post 13 Oct 2016, 7:53 am

georgeatkins wrote:After seeing one Jerry Springer show (or others in that vein), how could you watch another one? And what can you say about those who do? You realize that these participants are not normal people, but are put on in a contrived situation to amplify their personal problems and mental issues; and prompted to react in as emotional and physical way possible.

All for entertainment (in spite of the hypocritical sermonizing of he host). But if you are thinking I'm alluding only to Trump, you'd be very wrong.

Clearly, I'm very conservative. I would never vote for anyone from the pro-abortion Democratic Party.

That said, all I want is a decent human being as President. Neither Party has nominated one. I'd take Biden over either one. I would put Romney on my back and carry him to DC.

No one can possibly convince me either Trump or Clinton are decent human beings. This country is going to suffer no matter who wins.

That said, I'm at about 98% that Hillary wins--unless she drops out or is arrested.

What troubles me the most: few, if any, liberals are willing to distance themselves from Clinton. They've sold their souls.
Emissary

Post 13 Oct 2016, 8:19 am

Of the two, Trump is by far the more frightening prospect. As such, liberals are probably too worried about doing anything which might help his campaign to be critical of Hillary. The criticism will begin the moment she comes to power, and it's unlikely to let up from that point.

What does surprise me is the complete absence of any attention for either of the VP candidates. Let's face it, both Trump and Hillary are elderly. Hillary has well documented health concerns and Trump must surely be a potential assassination waiting to happen. The chances of Pence or Kaine inheriting the presidency are pretty high I'd suggest, but they haven't even reached afterthought status in the campaign this far.
Adjutant

Post 13 Oct 2016, 8:33 am

Here is politifacts analysis of the truthfulness of presidential candidates in this election and recent ones.http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... lections-/

Interstingly enough, Hillary Clinyon has had the highest percentage of true or mostly true statements that politifacts has looked at in the last 8 years with regard to presidential candidates.
Adjutant

Post 13 Oct 2016, 9:29 am

The candicacy of Trump is just a symptom of deeper problems. Here is an article of the Los Angeles Times on two owners of a hedge fund that make political contributions--one to Democrats, the other to Republicans. Mainly, they appear concerned that both parties continue to support tax positions that favor tax funds. The top five contributors in this political cycles are from hedge fund owners, a sixth runs a private equity company.https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes. ... y,amp.html

The conservatives basically won the ideological battle that people can make as much money as they want--irrespective of any real contributions made to society--and then have that money taxed at very low rates. Thus, people are accumulating vast fortunes that can be used to influence politics, particularly after the disastrous Citizen's United decision. Of course, monied and business interests have always had a large say in how the country is run, but the current situation seems particularly undemocratic.

At the same time, we have some sea changes in American society culminating in the election of a black president in 2008. Theses changes include social policy like gay marriage and minorities having more and more political power power as a result of increasing numbers. Hispanics in particular became an increasing political threat to the Republican Party. The Tea Party movement--founded to essentially oppose those changes--was found to be ineffectual.

Thus, we have Trump because Tea Party supporters were not happy with the Republican Party. The existential threat posed by Trump dwarves every other consideration. I think we will get by just fine with Hillary (to a certain extent--there are deeper problems in this country that she will not be able to solve)But unless we do something about the concentration of wealth in this country which is then reflected in enormous political power our democracy in a real sense is being undermined. Wealth stratification and the increasing refusal of the wealthy to want to pay their fair share of taxes puts all kinds of stressors on the country. We don't solve that issue, all kinds of other conflicts--racial, social, class, religious, etc.--will increase, I think.
Dignitary

Post 13 Oct 2016, 10:10 am

Doctor Fate wrote:No one can possibly convince me either Trump or Clinton are decent human beings. This country is going to suffer no matter who wins. That said, I'm at about 98% that Hillary wins--unless she drops out or is arrested.

It is unfortunate. And had the Republicans promoted ANYBODY but Trump, it would have probably been a slam-bang victory. But Trump only cares to cater to his own sycophants, it seems; completely uninterested in swaying anybody else. Well, with his massive ego, he probably believes that if he keeps blustering and cajoling enough, he'll win more votes. I think the SNL skit of his campaign manager having to spend all of her time trying to spin the latest Trump pronouncement which then concludes with a cutaway to Clinton grooving with a bunch of Bernie supporters is a pretty good assessment.
Administrator

Post 13 Oct 2016, 10:44 am

As to the lack of comments on Redscape, I have zero desire to even begin to try to defend Mr. Trump. If anything, I would castigate him.

My question is why some are defending Mrs. Clinton's actions, and not castigating her. Perhaps it is a different mentality.

I look at it as calling corruption, lying, sleeze and scandal what they are, regardless of what letter is behind their name. I gave a pairing for the election that would have more honor and prepared candidates. What do other people think would be a better pairing for the presidency?

Lieberman vs. Thune?
Emissary

Post 13 Oct 2016, 11:29 am

I know who Joe Lieberman is but I've never heard of Thune or the guy you listed in the other thread. Lieberman must be pushing 80 by now so I can't imagine he'd be too keen to run.
Adjutant

Post 13 Oct 2016, 11:47 am

Might as well write-in people from Redscape. It would have the same impact...I think an RJ-Sass ticket might win here...maybe we should hold our own presidential election.

The slate:

DF--Brad
Danivon--Freeman
RJ--Sass
Ricky--Dags
George--Tom

Who would win?
Administrator

Post 13 Oct 2016, 2:48 pm

The reason I asked about other tickets was to find if there are any people that are respected on the other side of the aisle. This is the issue of the current political world. I think there are people that I respect, although I don't agree with them.

Without respect, the debates just devolve into a slime pit. E.G. the current election.
Ambassador

Post 13 Oct 2016, 5:55 pm

freeman3 wrote:Might as well write-in people from Redscape. It would have the same impact...I think an RJ-Sass ticket might win here...maybe we should hold our own presidential election.

The slate:

DF--Brad
Danivon--Freeman
RJ--Sass
Ricky--Dags
George--Tom

Who would win?

I think Sass should have the top spot on our ticket. I like being #2.
Adjutant

Post 13 Oct 2016, 7:04 pm

Done. Sass, you have been promoted to the presidential slot.
Administrator

Post 13 Oct 2016, 10:28 pm

freeman3 wrote:Done. Sass, you have been promoted to the presidential slot.

Put me down for George and Tom.