Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 01 Jul 2016, 7:44 am

So you think Tax Repatriation will allow US companies to hire more US employees? You are so naive--they will use the money to purchase their stock, to push the price up (thereby making their company exec options more valuable)...and fire not hire US workers. This happened in 2004.
https://www.theguardian.com/money/us-mo ... x-avoiders
Ambassador

Post 01 Jul 2016, 11:23 am

Well, conditions have changed.

Question: what do you propose? Increasing corporate taxation? If so, how will that improve employment here in the States? How will that inhibit more corporations from moving their operations to countries with lower taxes?
Dignitary

Post 07 Jul 2016, 11:05 am

From the article:

Between 2008 and 2012, 288 of the richest Fortune 500 corporations paid an effective tax rate of just 19.4%, far less than the statutory 35% rate.

Yet, some paid 35% and others paid close to zero. That's the problem. Make the tax rate equitable and questions like repatriation of funds start to diminish in importance. But we've argued this before, and meaningful tax reform is paralyzed in our current political climate.
Adjutant

Post 07 Jul 2016, 11:22 am

Well, yes, I would be ok with reducing the rates if all corporations paid their fair share (just lowering rates without going after those while are not paying will not get it done). Maybe 25% seems about right. Could someone explain to me in general why corporations should pay lower taxes than individuals, though?
Ambassador

Post 07 Jul 2016, 12:28 pm

freeman3 wrote:Well, yes, I would be ok with reducing the rates if all corporations paid their fair share (just lowering rates without going after those while are not paying will not get it done). Maybe 25% seems about right. Could someone explain to me in general why corporations should pay lower taxes than individuals, though?

Because that is what other countries do, so to compete, there is a race to the bottom.

On the other hand, large variation between rates will lead to tax avoidance and 'creative' ways to evade.
Dignitary

Post 07 Jul 2016, 1:25 pm

danivon wrote:
freeman3 wrote:Well, yes, I would be ok with reducing the rates if all corporations paid their fair share (just lowering rates without going after those while are not paying will not get it done). Maybe 25% seems about right. Could someone explain to me in general why corporations should pay lower taxes than individuals, though?

Because that is what other countries do, so to compete, there is a race to the bottom.

On the other hand, large variation between rates will lead to tax avoidance and 'creative' ways to evade.

Right, that's a huge problem, but even domestically, who even incorporates as a C-corp anymore? MLPs and LLCs are the rule, even in publicly traded companies. It's all about tax avoidance, in a broken system where there is no political will to fix it. Don't see that getting any better anytime soon.