Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 12 Jul 2016, 8:55 am

How do we know that this so-called "xenophobia" and stuff isn't trumped up by the British and world press---who didn't want to see Brexit happen in the first place?
Adjutant

Post 12 Jul 2016, 8:56 am

By the by, I hear you have a new prime minister to take over for David Cameron when his resignation is official. She any good?
Emissary

Post 12 Jul 2016, 11:02 am

She's probably about the best of the available options. The markets certainly see it that way in any case, given that both the FTSE and the pound have rallied substantially since the news broke.

I'm not a big fan personally, but I must concede that she's been the most effective Home Secretary I can remember, and I've worked for a few. I suspect she'll prove to be quite popular in the country at large. Her biggest problem will be managing her own party. She backed Remain, which is less than ideal, and the fear is that she's going to try to backslide on Brexit. She does have the support of a number of very prominent Leavers though, which is reassuring. David Davis was an early backer and he's obviously a man I know very well. I don't think he'd have supported her if he thought there was a risk that she'd try to row back on her commitment to Brexit.
Emissary

Post 12 Jul 2016, 12:48 pm

Meanwhile, it would seem that the Labour NEC has bottled it tonight. They had the chance to perform a constitutional stitch-up which would have kept Corbyn off the ballot and they backed down. In fairness, he probably should be entitled to automatically become a candidate, but nevertheless the chance appeared to exist to get rid of him by shenanigans and in my opinion they should have taken it, however dubious that might have been. You can be sure the Tories wouldn't hesitate if they ever found themselves in a similar position.

The problem is that Labour seems likely to split whether Corbyn is on the ballot or not. That being the case, surely it would make more sense to stitch him up, take the anger of the new members on the chin and then ensure that when the split does happen it leaves the moderates in charge of the Labour name and the party apparatus. As it stands they're now going to have to peel off and form a new part, which is fraught with difficulty, or knuckle under and accept a probable wipeout in 2020 (or potentially sooner of Theresa May decides to call an early election). It's a foolish decision in my view, should have been more ruthless.
Emissary

Post 13 Jul 2016, 12:26 pm

Well, I must say the early cabinet announcements have been encouraging. Hammond as new Chancellor is somewhat underwhelming, but that's not so bad. He has the very great benefit of not being George Osborne (who was sacked apparently), and we've probably had our fill of powerful Chancellors for a while. Appointing Boris to the Foreign Office came as a bit of a surprise, but it does seem potentially inspired. He can't do any damage there since he won't have control of any policy, and his presence will reassure the Brexiters. Also, his skill with languages and generally avuncular manner might work quite well for diplomacy. I like the appointment of David Davis to head up the Brexit negotiations too, that's an excellent decision. The only concern so far is that most of the appointments have been men. That's not a problem in itself, but I'd imagine Theresa will be looking for gender balance in the cabinet, so this greatly reduces the prospect that the halfwit Nicky Morgan will be sacked. Regrettable, but I suppose you can't have anything.
Ambassador

Post 14 Jul 2016, 6:50 am

JimHackerMP wrote:How do we know that this so-called "xenophobia" and stuff isn't trumped up by the British and world press---who didn't want to see Brexit happen in the first place?

The police have reported a significant increase in incidents. If you think they are "false flag", then present some evidence. We have enough conspiracy theory crap to deal with already.
Adjutant

Post 14 Jul 2016, 7:22 am

OK, OK....it was just a question. Geeze, dude, calm down.
Ambassador

Post 17 Jul 2016, 3:27 am

JimHackerMP wrote:OK, OK....it was just a question. Geeze, dude, calm down.
One I'd expect from Dag rather than you.

We have neanderthal bigots. We have always had them. But the recent result has enabled them, because while it is not true, they think the majority agrees with them.
Dignitary

Post 17 Jul 2016, 4:15 am

danivon wrote:We have neanderthal bigots. .

Really, Dan? Really? And how many neanderthal's do you know who are bigots? I suppose you think that "they all are." If so, just who's the bigot, then?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Ambassador

Post 17 Jul 2016, 8:24 am

geojanes wrote:
danivon wrote:We have neanderthal bigots. .

Really, Dan? Really? And how many neanderthal's do you know who are bigots? I suppose you think that "they all are." If so, just who's the bigot, then?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

#NotAllNeanderthals
Adjutant

Post 17 Jul 2016, 1:31 pm

We have neanderthal bigots. We have always had them. But the recent result has enabled them, because while it is not true, they think the majority agrees with them.

It's disappointing to see that you consider those who disagree with you to be guilty of neanderthal bigotry. That sounds like the very definition of bigotry itself. I don't mean that as a slap in the face, I'm just surprised to have heard you say something like that. We disagree a lot but you've always been respectful of other people, your own countrymen included, even if you disagree with them, too. I'm a little surprised, to say the least.
Emissary

Post 17 Jul 2016, 1:44 pm

I don't know whether it would be fair to class Dan in this category, but most of the Remainers in the UK seem to have to descended into an epic sulk since the referendum. It's been a thoroughly unedifying sight. I'd imagine something similar will happen in the US if Trump wins, but hopefully we'll never have to find out.
Adjutant

Post 17 Jul 2016, 3:13 pm

I hope it doesn't change the subject, but whatever the result, military junta notwithstanding, there will be plenty of Americans in similar snits! :sigh:
Ambassador

Post 17 Jul 2016, 3:45 pm

JimHackerMP wrote:

It's disappointing to see that you consider those who disagree with you to be guilty of neanderthal bigotry. That sounds like the very definition of bigotry itself. I don't mean that as a slap in the face, I'm just surprised to have heard you say something like that. We disagree a lot but you've always been respectful of other people, your own countrymen included, even if you disagree with them, too. I'm a little surprised, to say the least.

That's because you misunderstood me.

I consider those who are engaging in racist and xenophobic bigotry to be bigots. We have seen an increase in reported incidents of racial and anti-foreigner abuse. That is what I was referring to. Not to the much larger group of people who voted Leave.

And if calling racists bigots offends, well tough.
Adjutant

Post 17 Jul 2016, 3:49 pm

OK, Dan, whatever. Forget I even said anything.