Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 08 Jul 2016, 12:04 pm

It wasn't Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac that caused the problem. They pulled out of the high-risk market anyway in 2006. This is has been the lie put out by conservatives that the private sector did not cause the meltdown--it did. I'll disprove this later when I have time.
Ambassador

Post 08 Jul 2016, 12:08 pm

freeman3 wrote:It wasn't Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac that caused the problem. They pulled out of the high-risk market anyway in 2006. This is has been the lie put out by conservatives that the private sector did not cause the meltdown--it did. I'll disprove this later when I have time.

Sure, and when you do be sure to explain the real estate meltdown and how it had nothing to do with government intervention. That would be great. Thanks.
Adjutant

Post 08 Jul 2016, 12:17 pm

No problem. I'm here to help recovering conservatives...
Ambassador

Post 08 Jul 2016, 12:34 pm

freeman3 wrote:No problem. I'm here to help recovering conservatives...

Well, as a modern liberal, you know that means I get a government subsidy.
Statesman

Post 08 Jul 2016, 1:59 pm

Fate
Prove it.

well, one policy that will help is her policy on college affordability.

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/college/

The price of college has skyrocketed since the 1980s, and most college students graduate with crippling debt. With this they won't and their parents won't be saddled either. Of course the financial institutions that make so much money from student debt aren't happy. Its good news that she's willing to go against their interests and help the working and ,middle class gain from the system instead.

This policy is reminescent of the free tuition that white GIs received after WWII and which was a large contributor to the growth of a strong middle class in the 1950s and 60s.
Its also similar to many other OECD nations where inequality is lower than in the US.
The approach to funding higher education "reflects these countries’ deeply rooted social values, such as equality of opportunity and social equity," states an OECD report.
Statesman

Post 08 Jul 2016, 2:06 pm

fate
Well, as a modern liberal, you know that means I get a government subsidy

Well, until then you'd more likely qualify for a subsidy if you earned money from investment, or if you were a corporation, or oil producer.... Or if you could move your profits into off shore accounts to hide your cash from taxation by the nation in which the profits were earned
Trump is right aout the system being rigged. He just isn't honest about the fact he wouldn't unrig it.
(derig?)

Fate
The New Republic is a liberal American magazine of commentary on politics and the arts published since 1914, with major influence on American political and cultural thinking.

Fooled me when they brought out New Coke too.
If it has a major influence, it sure seems hard to tell some times..
Ambassador

Post 08 Jul 2016, 2:42 pm

rickyp wrote:Fate
Prove it.

well, one policy that will help is her policy on college affordability.

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/college/

The price of college has skyrocketed since the 1980s, and most college students graduate with crippling debt. With this they won't and their parents won't be saddled either. Of course the financial institutions that make so much money from student debt aren't happy. Its good news that she's willing to go against their interests and help the working and ,middle class gain from the system instead.

This policy is reminescent of the free tuition that white GIs received after WWII and which was a large contributor to the growth of a strong middle class in the 1950s and 60s.
Its also similar to many other OECD nations where inequality is lower than in the US.
The approach to funding higher education "reflects these countries’ deeply rooted social values, such as equality of opportunity and social equity," states an OECD report.

Nope. Even if it gets implemented, it will be dependent upon States to pick up the tab. Won't happen.
Emissary

Post 12 Jul 2016, 9:31 pm

Loretta Lynch is pathetic. Her recent sworn testimony before the House Committee is a travesty of justice. She successfully avoided answering any of the questions put to her concerning either Comey's testimony, Hilary's testimony or Bill visit to her plane.

This woman is a complete joke. Every Democratic committee member gave her a soft pitch about the recent shooting tragedies which she rambled on and on about. But whenever she was asked any questions about her former boss or his wife, she suddenly shut down and either referred to Comey's testimony or simply refused to answer the question.

This woman needs to step down immediately. She is unfit for this important position.

Hiding behind the recent shootings and using them and the issue of gun control as a smokescreen to avoid answering the question concerning Hilary's perjury is THE most pathetic bit of politicking I have ever witnessed.

I can not believe some of these Democratic committee members were ever elected.

She must resign.
Ambassador

Post 13 Jul 2016, 11:31 am

dag hammarsjkold wrote:Loretta Lynch is pathetic. Her recent sworn testimony before the House Committee is a travesty of justice. She successfully avoided answering any of the questions put to her concerning either Comey's testimony, Hilary's testimony or Bill visit to her plane.

This woman is a complete joke. Every Democratic committee member gave her a soft pitch about the recent shooting tragedies which she rambled on and on about. But whenever she was asked any questions about her former boss or his wife, she suddenly shut down and either referred to Comey's testimony or simply refused to answer the question.

This woman needs to step down immediately. She is unfit for this important position.

Hiding behind the recent shootings and using them and the issue of gun control as a smokescreen to avoid answering the question concerning Hilary's perjury is THE most pathetic bit of politicking I have ever witnessed.

I can not believe some of these Democratic committee members were ever elected.

She must resign.

All I can say: you are 100% correct. She would not even answer basic questions about law.
Adjutant

Post 13 Jul 2016, 1:40 pm

With regard to the conservative meme that Freddie Mac and Fannie Mas caused the housung bubble that led to the Financial Crisis in 2008 that is completely false. Basically, non-bank sub-prime lenders went out and got the loans. Most of these sub-prime lenders were financially backed by investment banks who then took the loans and packaged them into financial securities which they persuaded rating agencies that they were safe investments and sold them to investors. When those securities started to not perform the Financial Crisis happened. Freddie Mac and Fannie Mar's share of the sub-prime market dramatically declined from 2005-2007 as Wall Street investment banks pushed for more and more of these loans so they could make more and more money selling these securities to investors. The bubble did not get fueled by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac generating bad loans because it wanted to support minority ownership, the bubble was fueled by Wall Street greed, pure and simple.

In 2007 Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae did start to buy some Wall Street securities and lowered some requirements of their Alt-A loans, but the sub-prime market had already blown up by then and while those decisions caused them to have to be bailed out that had nothing to do with the Financial Crisis. At worst, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac played a small role in the Financial Crisis. The growth in sub-prime loans from 2005-2007 did not come from them--they were not buying up these loans, their share of ownership of sub-prime loans dramatically went down during that period (from 50 percent to 30 percent).

https://www.publicintegrity.org/2009/05 ... -who-blame
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politic ... 04598.html
https://www.americanprogress.org/issues ... eddie-mac/

Oh sure, the government forces banks to make bad loans--it really does not even logical sense. If they did that then the only that would have happened is then all would have happened is that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac would have gone under. They tell banks to make bad loans because Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are going to buy them, right--so goes the conservative meme. But plainly Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac held only a very small amount of those bad loans else we would call the Financial Crisis the collapse of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac instead.

(Sorry to bring this up again but DF made the claim so can't let it pass)
Ambassador

Post 13 Jul 2016, 2:55 pm

freeman3 wrote:Oh sure, the government forces banks to make bad loans--it really does not even logical sense.)

Oh, yes it does. Your party insists on using every lever of government to force the private sector to do its bidding. They threaten to unleash hell on them unless they comply and guess what? They cave.
Emissary

Post 27 Jul 2016, 2:52 pm

Anachronism.

That's the game the DNC is now playing in spinning Trump's hilarious comments about the Russians assisting us with re-capturing Hilary's missing 30,000 emails.

To hear the media spin it, Trump is now asking Russia to spy on us. Not quite. The emails have already been hacked. That happened some time ago. Trump has asked if they would simply hand them over to the FBI.

By spinning Trump's remarks, the DNC operatives are desperately attempting an anachronistic smoke screen. Why? Because they fear what is still out there and what may still come to light.
Ambassador

Post 27 Jul 2016, 3:16 pm

dag hammarsjkold wrote:Anachronism.

That's the game the DNC is now playing in spinning Trump's hilarious comments about the Russians assisting us with re-capturing Hilary's missing 30,000 emails.

To hear the media spin it, Trump is now asking Russia to spy on us. Not quite. The emails have already been hacked. That happened some time ago. Trump has asked if they would simply hand them over to the FBI.

By spinning Trump's remarks, the DNC operatives are desperately attempting an anachronistic smoke screen. Why? Because they fear what is still out there and what may still come to light.

Yeah, I actually laughed at this spin. Hacking something that has already been deleted?

Please.

The DNC is desperate.
Emissary

Post 19 Aug 2016, 1:39 pm

Fox news needs to move on from covering the criminal's email scandal. Nothing is going to happen with it. They are the only talking heads still going on about it as if it were pertinent. It seems to me their resources should be spent elsewhere. The email scandal is a non issue. It shouldn't be but it is.
Ambassador

Post 23 Aug 2016, 10:06 am

dag hammarsjkold wrote:Fox news needs to move on from covering the criminal's email scandal. Nothing is going to happen with it. They are the only talking heads still going on about it as if it were pertinent. It seems to me their resources should be spent elsewhere. The email scandal is a non issue. It shouldn't be but it is.

I'm not sure. As the Clinton Foundation/State Department/Teneo emails are released, I think the conflict of interest situation is more and more clear.

Further, she clearly lied about the email server to the FBI. Her statements conflict with Powell's in a way that cannot be rectified. And, Powell has the calendar on his side. He says he didn't talk to her about emails until a year after she'd been in office. She told the FBI that Powell recommended a private server before she did it.

Lying to the FBI can get you Federal time if your name is not Hillary.