Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 04 May 2011, 4:14 am

Maybe you should double check your math on that. How can you maintain that Osama was killing innocents if Obama was carrying out a collective will? If Vince is suppose to get the @#$! out the US if he won't share in the blame then how do you (all) maintain there are innocents?

Vince should definitely stay. The country is better with him here.
Dignitary

Post 04 May 2011, 7:52 am

freeman2 wrote:I think the 2012 election is over before it has even begun. Say what you want, Obama deserves credit for getting accomplished what should have been the main goal from the beginning.

Really? Look at Bush the Elder in '91 after Kuwait and still losing the election.

I think this is more just wishful thinking on the part of Obama supports who have been embarrassed by his failure as President so far.
Adjutant

Post 04 May 2011, 8:10 am

bbauska wrote:
You have a view that you are not responsible for anything that happens in the US. Fine. Step aside and let those who are willing to stand up and act for justice. Is the USA perfect? No, I never said they were.

I of course think we should act for justice. Where is the justice in killing innocent people? Justice (in my mind) means being compensated for your losses by the individuals who harmed you.

Let's use Hiroshima and Nagasaki as an example, since I think that is the most similar to the current terrorist actions.

An entity (Japan)

Saying "Japan" used military force is inaccurate. Certain specific individuals from the country of Japan used military force. Those people, and those higher up in the chain of command are the ones responsible and the ones that justice demands pay. What did a poor rice farmer, or a school teacher, or a child, have to do with this attack? How does justice involve vaporizing them?

Do you think we should:
A.) Drop the bombs?
B.) Drop leaflets and humanitarian aid?
C.) Invade Mainland Japan?
D.) Go home?

Whichever of those don't involve committing an injustice against innocent people.

If the US attacked Afghanistan before Al Qaeda attacked the US that would have been unjust. When Afghanistan defended Al Qaeda, they accepted responsibility as well. The US should act with restraint, but exact justice for hostile acts against the US.

Afghanistan did not defend Al Queda...a small group of people calling themselves the government of Afghanistan did. This does not make the people of Afghanistan guilty of anything, and the destruction that the US government has wrought against these innocent people has made what bin Laden did to the US.

What we have is one organization (Al Queda) killed thousands of innocent people in the US. In response, another organization (the federal government) killed thousands of innocent people in Afghanistan. Where is the justice in any of this?
Administrator

Post 04 May 2011, 8:43 am

He's still trying to bait you!
nobody believes this childish nonsense and if they really DO believe it, how can argue over nonsense?
Adjutant

Post 04 May 2011, 9:19 am

Sassenach wrote:Vince, could you clarify something here. Are you trying to say that you regard any act of war as being morally equivalent to an act of terrorism ? It sure seems that way considering the fact that you included the bombing of Nazi Germany and the use of atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in your list. I can understand why you might make that argument, but the fact is that in both these cases a plausible case can be made that they actually saved more lives than they cost by hastening the end to WWII. The only real counter arguments you could make are either that the war would have ended just as quickly without those actions (which is highly doubtful) or that we never should have been in the war in the first place so it's irrelevant. But the latter argument is essentially to say that we should always bend the knee to tyranny. In any event, grey areas do exist in respect of pretty much every example you raised, which is hardly the case when you look at Bin Laden's actions.

Missed this post Sass.

"Act of war" sounds like a phrase used to excuse the killing of innocent people.

"Terrorism" is a word used to describe killing that the state disagrees with.

I am against killing innocent people. What shade that killing is colored in by what state, whether terrorism or an act of war, is irrelevant to me.

The choice you've given me re: WWII is a false dichotomy. Yes, the Japanese navy attacked the American Navy. Yes, the Japanese Navy also caused dozens of civilian casualties in that attack as well. Fine...have the American Navy attack the Japanese Navy in response to stop that aggression. What does killing 100,000 people who had nothing to do with that attack have anything to do with justice? How is killing those innocent people any different than the Japanese Navy killing innocent people at Pearl Harbor.

Failing to invade Japan is not bending the knee to tyranny. It is leaving innocent people out of a dispute between two states.
Last edited by theodorelogan on 04 May 2011, 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Administrator

Post 04 May 2011, 9:22 am

Nice non answer with Hiroshima/Nagasaki, Vince. To quote Jesus:

29 Jesus replied, “I will ask you one question. Answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I am doing these things. 30 John’s baptism—was it from heaven, or from men? Tell me!”

31 They discussed it among themselves and said, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ he will ask, ‘Then why didn’t you believe him?’ 32 But if we say, ‘From men’….” (They feared the people, for everyone held that John really was a prophet.)

33 So they answered Jesus, “We don’t know.”

Jesus said, “Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things.”
Mark 11:33

I am not Jesus, but avoiding answers will bring you the same.
Adjutant

Post 04 May 2011, 9:25 am

Sorry, I didn't view it as a non-answer. I said whichever don't involve committing an injustice against innocent people. Clearly B and D are the choices that don't. I would have chosen D, and my reason why is detailed in my response to Sass above.
Administrator

Post 04 May 2011, 9:42 am

Cross posted, apologies. Then justice would not be served on the people who brought the war against the USA. 'Nuff said, we disagree.

It appears you desire peace more than justice.

I am out.
Adjutant

Post 04 May 2011, 9:53 am

Hi bbauska,

Not at all. If justice demands violence be done against the people who have committed the injustice, then I am fine with it.

But in our pursuit for justice, should we cause more injustice? How much more injustice do you think is OK? My problem with the injustices committed on the path to justice, not with justice per se. If you have a right to right a wrong done to you, then don't the people you wrong have a right to have their wrong righted?

Try saying that 5 times fast!
Ambassador

Post 04 May 2011, 12:53 pm

Roadkill wrote:I continue to celebrate, smile, dance (not so well) and cheer for the death of OBL. A wonderful thing the death of a terrorist is. Even sweeter when the terrorist is the likes of OBL. Ok, gotta run, I have a new dance I've been wanting to try out, I call it the "Ha Ha OBL Your Dead, @#$! You Very Much"
Ah yes, it was your facebook statuses that I recalled. A little unchristian, no? A little over-jubilant at a man's death? Whoever that man is, and however much they may have deserved it, it demeans us all to celebrate death.

We are learning a bit more about the circumstances, and (again*) the initial reports from the operation turn out to have been self-serving. OBL was not armed. He was not 'holding his wife as a human shield'. I imagine the situation was confused and there could well have been a perceived threat, but distorting the facts will only serve to feed the conspiracy theories.

*This is the same unit who went in to rescue a British hostage and told us that her captors had killed her. Only for it to later transpire that one of them had done so - by accident. It's not the error that made it so notable, it's the self-serving lies to hide it. Just as in the OBL case
Last edited by danivon on 04 May 2011, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emissary

Post 04 May 2011, 1:32 pm

The choice you've given me re: WWII is a false dichotomy. Yes, the Japanese navy attacked the American Navy. Yes, the Japanese Navy also caused dozens of civilian casualties in that attack as well. Fine...have the American Navy attack the Japanese Navy in response to stop that aggression. What does killing 100,000 people who had nothing to do with that attack have anything to do with justice? How is killing those innocent people any different than the Japanese Navy killing innocent people at Pearl Harbor.

Failing to invade Japan is not bending the knee to tyranny. It is leaving innocent people out of a dispute between two states.

Vince, this is remarkably silly. By the time of the Hiroshima bombing the US and Japan had been at war for several years and it was quite obvious that the Japanese, despite being largely beaten, were not willing to surrender and wished to continue fighting. The only way to end the war was to force the Japanese to surrender, which meant either invasion of Japan or use of the atomic bomb. Either option was certain to result in enormous bloodshed, but sometimes there are no easy choices. Besides which, the Russians were already massing in Manchuria with the intention of invading Japan themselves, and they certainly wouldn't have had too many qualms about sparing the lives of innocent people. These are historical facts. Yes, dropping the bomb directly killed thousands of people, but failure to do so would almost certainly have killed far more people indirectly.

It would be wonderful if everybody in the world were a pacifist, but unfortunately that isn't the case. So tell me Vince, what would be the appropriate response to tyrannical states when they make war against you ? The Japanese killed millions of people as they raped and plundered their way across Asia. Hitler did likewise, and he even instituted murder on an industrial scale with the goal of exterminating an entire race of people. No form of compromise with these regimes could ever be morally acceptable, they needed to be defeated. Unfortunately in order to defeat them as quickly as possible it was necessary to kill non-combatants. If you don;t accept that then please explain to me how it would have been possible to end the war with less overall loss of life while still defeating the Axis powers. I think you'll struggle to do so. If you're not prepared to answer that question then please explain how you're not talking about accommodating tyranny.
Dignitary

Post 04 May 2011, 5:48 pm

Sassenach wrote:Vince, this is remarkably silly. By the time of the Hiroshima bombing the US and Japan had been at war for several years and it was quite obvious that the Japanese, despite being largely beaten, were not willing to surrender and wished to continue fighting.

This is actually untrue.

It was only after the war that the American public learned about Japan's efforts to bring the conflict to an end. Chicago Tribune reporter Walter Trohan, for example, was obliged by wartime censorship to withhold for seven months one of the most important stories of the war.

In an article that finally appeared August 19, 1945, on the front pages of the Chicago Tribune and the Washington Times-Herald, Trohan revealed that on January 20, 1945, two days prior to his departure for the Yalta meeting with Stalin and Churchill, President Roosevelt received a 40-page memorandum from General Douglas MacArthur outlining five separate surrender overtures from high-level Japanese officials. (The complete text of Trohan's article is in the Winter 1985-86 Journal, pp. 508-512.)

This memo showed that the Japanese were offering surrender terms virtually identical to the ones ultimately accepted by the Americans at the formal surrender ceremony on September 2 -- that is, complete surrender of everything but the person of the Emperor. Specifically, the terms of these peace overtures included:

* Complete surrender of all Japanese forces and arms, at home, on island possessions, and in occupied countries.
* Occupation of Japan and its possessions by Allied troops under American direction.
* Japanese relinquishment of all territory seized during the war, as well as Manchuria, Korea and Taiwan.
* Regulation of Japanese industry to halt production of any weapons and other tools of war.
* Release of all prisoners of war and internees.
* Surrender of designated war criminals.

Is this memorandum authentic? It was supposedly leaked to Trohan by Admiral William D. Leahy, presidential Chief of Staff. (See: M. Rothbard in A. Goddard, ed., Harry Elmer Barnes: Learned Crusader [1968], pp. 327f.) Historian Harry Elmer Barnes has related (in "Hiroshima: Assault on a Beaten Foe," National Review, May 10, 1958):

The authenticity of the Trohan article was never challenged by the White House or the State Department, and for very good reason. After General MacArthur returned from Korea in 1951, his neighbor in the Waldorf Towers, former President Herbert Hoover, took the Trohan article to General MacArthur and the latter confirmed its accuracy in every detail and without qualification.
Adjutant

Post 04 May 2011, 9:19 pm

Sass,

Why couldn't the US military just go home since the Japanese military and it's ability to wage war was crippled?

You go on to speculate that the soviets might have killed more. The USSR was at peace with Japan and only invaded at the insistence of the USA.

What would I do? Well, that is a tough question to answer since I wouldn't have a state in the first place, and therefore wouldn't have battleships enforcing an embargo to attack.

EDIT: Removed reference to Jeff's questionable source, since it isn't really relevant to my argument and the questioning of its validity is an unnecessary distraction.
Last edited by theodorelogan on 05 May 2011, 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dignitary

Post 05 May 2011, 7:23 am

Guapo wrote:This is actually untrue.

The author of this BS is a holocaust denier who makes a living purveying revisionist history to saps like Guapo.
Dignitary

Post 05 May 2011, 7:57 am

I agree with MinX here Jeff. Mark Weber is the Director of the Institute for Historical Review. The IHR is a Neo-Nazi organization founded by members of British National Front, Liberty Alliance and the National Alliance. It's almost as bad as accepting as fact that crap DiLorenzo publishes.

Further, if you actually read the Trohan article, which I have, you will know that the terms were not considered a serious offer because they did not come from anybody with influence on Prime Minister Sizuki's Imperial War Cabinet but rather through individuals it was felt would be killed by Suzuki when it became known. I tend to believe this because I have actually read the transcripts of the Imperial War Cabinet meetings (or at least English translations) on the discussions of surrender.

While I was in college oh so many years ago, I had to do a term paper for a class on WWII. I chose to do it on the political manueverings between the US and Japan leading up to attack on Pearl Harbor. One of the requirements was that I had to use primary sources. I found a great book that was a compilation of intra-governmental correspondences for the entire period of the war.