Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 07 Jun 2016, 8:48 am

Yes I am comparing the Costco freebies to the church offering pizza. Its to provide a "warm fuzzy" to those who attend and gives them a chance to see what the place is all about. In the case of the church you frankly have no idea what they are or are not "pushing". These kids are certainly old enough to experience religion and make decisions that are right for themselves. If a local arcade opened up and gave the kids free tokens, THAT would be ok?

Even IF the church is "indoctrinating" the kids, they are free to go, they are free to ignore that aspect just as I ignored singing the silly church songs and never went back for free cookies.
But what I suspect is the church simply wants the kids to feel they belong and that the church isn't some goofy place for weirdos. Yeah, they probably say a prayer before eating and almost certainly have pamphlets available and even talk about how cool their youth group activities are.

But that's my guess and is no more accurate than your guess
But even if you are correct, I aint got no problem still!
Ambassador

Post 08 Jun 2016, 10:38 am

bbauska wrote:Yes, I was. My parents are devout atheists. The taught me their religion, and I chose something else. I question because I want my belief to stand in the test.
Interesting. My parents were atheists but didn't "teach me their religion" because there was nothing to teach. There is but one tenet, which is that we don't believe there's a god - which was not taught to me as such, because the existence of God(s) did not come up until I found out about the concept myself.

Other than "there is no God", what was the atheism you were taught?
Administrator

Post 08 Jun 2016, 10:45 am

Here are some quotes I remember:

"It is a shame you need a God to make you a better person"
"Your God is just a made-up crutch"
"I thought you were smarter than that"

I can go on, but I have no desire to denigrate my deceased father on this.
Ambassador

Post 08 Jun 2016, 11:50 am

bbauska wrote:Here are some quotes I remember:

ah, Ok. So less teaching you to be an atheist but expressing disagreement with those who believe - and you as a convert.

I guess anyone would feel affronted if their kids don't hold the same values and beliefs as they do. I hope he showed love for you in other ways.
Administrator

Post 08 Jun 2016, 12:07 pm

danivon wrote:
bbauska wrote:Here are some quotes I remember:

ah, Ok. So less teaching you to be an atheist but expressing disagreement with those who believe - and you as a convert.

I guess anyone would feel affronted if their kids don't hold the same values and beliefs as they do. I hope he showed love for you in other ways.

Absolutely. He was a wonderful man who did not have to take us. He married my mom when I was 14 and in so many ways, I still look to him for advice. He may not have been my biological father, but he was/is dad.
Administrator

Post 22 Jun 2016, 8:41 am

I did not want to start a new forum, but it appears to apply to this conversation.

Gov. Lepage is wanting the SNAP program to no longer be allowed to be able to purchase soda and candy. What is the problem with that?

I think limiting the options that a person can use the SNAP program funds for to healthy choices is a good idea.

Thoughts?
Administrator

Post 23 Jun 2016, 6:10 am

Frankly, I'm a bit shocked you would have public money available to purchase soda and junk food. This (to me) is similar to how food stamps can not be used to buy beer or cigarettes (I am pretty sure high end meats are also not allowed?)

this simply makes perfect sense and the only issue is why did they EVER allow it in the first place!?
Statesman

Post 23 Jun 2016, 7:40 am

http://www.getrealmaine.com/_ccLib/atta ... AP.WIC.pdf

Promoting and making more accessible "healthy options" is a more intelligent method. Which is being done. See above link.

If Lepage is really interested in dealing with the obesity issue and the diabetes epidemic he'd propose solutions for the entire populace not just those of limited means.
This is really just about demeaning the poor again.
Administrator

Post 23 Jun 2016, 8:24 am

rickyp wrote:http://www.getrealmaine.com/_ccLib/attachments/pages/SNAP.WIC.pdf

Promoting and making more accessible "healthy options" is a more intelligent method. Which is being done. See above link.

If Lepage is really interested in dealing with the obesity issue and the diabetes epidemic he'd propose solutions for the entire populace not just those of limited means.
This is really just about demeaning the poor again.

No. People have a choice on what to do with their money. When the money comes from somewhere else, the providing resource can make stipulations.

Are you mandating that soda not be able to be purchased by anyone? Wouldn't that be just more removal of choice?

People have a choice to earn extra money if the would want a soda.
Administrator

Post 23 Jun 2016, 8:39 am

ahhh, but such free choice maybe should not be available to minors and not available on government property (the School)?
I am all for kids being able to buy a coke or a slurpee at the 7-11 across the street. But why must we allow such options on campus? If you want, a s a rule to not allow pizza or soda, I see no problem with such restrictions. Not everywhere! but on campus, I have no problem with such limit of choice!

Schools have dress codes, you have no problem with those I suppose?
They can't wear this or that to school but are free to do so off campus of course. Similar here (in my eye)
Adjutant

Post 23 Jun 2016, 12:37 pm

I am a bit suspicious of this governor's motives, but I really would not have an objection to letting states mandate no candy or soda if they want to with regard to food stamps.
Last edited by freeman3 on 23 Jun 2016, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Administrator

Post 23 Jun 2016, 3:11 pm

freeman3 wrote:I am a bit suspicious of this governor's motives, but I really would not have an objection to letting states mandate no candy or soda if they want to spend her with regard to food stamps.

Agree.