Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 01 Jun 2016, 3:14 pm

Yes, but these are kids. How would we feel if a religious cult invited kids to have pizzas to hear the message? I am not concerned if adults go somewhere because they are enticed by an offer.

Certainly a lot of times youth groups will have food as part of activities, including pizza. But pizza is not being used to entice the kids to being with the youth group. The enticement part of the whole deal seems a bit off to me. It's not that big of a deal but I don't think that is the right way to go about recruitment.
Ambassador

Post 03 Jun 2016, 1:34 pm

freeman3 wrote:Yes, but these are kids. How would we feel if a religious cult invited kids to have pizzas to hear the message? I am not concerned if adults go somewhere because they are enticed by an offer.

Certainly a lot of times youth groups will have food as part of activities, including pizza. But pizza is not being used to entice the kids to being with the youth group. The enticement part of the whole deal seems a bit off to me. It's not that big of a deal but I don't think that is the right way to go about recruitment.
Indeed. Children should not be being manipulated.
Administrator

Post 06 Jun 2016, 6:29 am

As a kid we had a church near our house, some weird non-denominational church I never heard of. It was always a bit of a mystery church to most of us growing up. (nothing goofy or odd mind you) anyways, they had free cookies and punch during some summer meet and greet so a few neighbor kids decided to go, they talked about ten of us going.

We had free cookies and learned some songs (of course we had to "pay" for those "free" cookies). It was nothing nefarious and it got us in, who knows, maybe it got one or two of us to embrace religion a bit more, to accept our "odd" neighbors later in life? It wasn't a bad experience and free pizza no doubt does that same thing in this example.

I don't think they are being "manipulated" but rather are being "exposed" to the church and it's offerings.
Administrator

Post 06 Jun 2016, 6:35 am

Thinking about it even more, what group doesn't involve such "enticements" from time to time? A few years back I saw notice of a free event by the orienteering club, they had free refreshments and a free event open to all. I took the wife and kids and we had a good time. We did not join but no doubt some did (and while I did not join, I do have a friend who I later discovered was a member and we do a bike excursion together once a year ....just did it two weeks ago, we finished second place! [i]...not as impressive as it sounds by the way[/])

Even Sams Club and Costco have open days with freebies to get people to join, how is this so very different?
Administrator

Post 06 Jun 2016, 6:46 am

Exactly why I said pushing their agenda, and not pushing their religion.
Adjutant

Post 06 Jun 2016, 10:53 am

Ah, so Costco offering a freebie to ADULTS on a ONE-TIME BASIS to get them to join is equivalent to a church offering pizza EVERY week to MINOR high school students in order to INDOCTRINATE them? Ok.
Administrator

Post 06 Jun 2016, 11:22 am

I am having snacks provided for game night with several other families. Am I trying to entice children for some illicit Settlers of Catan game? Oh my!

Give me a break. Where is the evidence of church INDOCTRINATION with this pizza? Perhaps you are just going over the top with your hyperbole, no?

If there is evidence, then post it. I would love to see it.
Adjutant

Post 06 Jun 2016, 11:30 am

Indoctrinate means to teach a person to accept a set of beliefs uncritically. What do you think religions do, Brad? I am confident that indoctrination is not a part of your game night...
Administrator

Post 06 Jun 2016, 11:49 am

freeman3 wrote:Indoctrinate means to teach a person to accept a set of beliefs uncritically. What do you think religions do, Brad? I am confident that indoctrination is not a part of your game night...

I appreciate your confidence in my game nights.

I have been taught to question people teaching religion. Even Christian teachers.

1 John 4:1
Test the Spirits

4 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.
Adjutant

Post 06 Jun 2016, 12:14 pm

Yes...but are you taught to question Christian beliefs? Their existence is presumed to be true.
Administrator

Post 06 Jun 2016, 2:46 pm

Yes, I was. My parents are devout atheists. The taught me their religion, and I chose something else. I question because I want my belief to stand in the test.
Adjutant

Post 06 Jun 2016, 3:32 pm

Your parents are atheists? You could have given me three hundred guesses and that one wouldn't have come up.
Administrator

Post 06 Jun 2016, 4:19 pm

freeman3 wrote:Your parents are atheists? You could have given me three hundred guesses and that one wouldn't have come up.

Yep. Right to the day my Dad died.
Adjutant

Post 06 Jun 2016, 4:31 pm

Well, hopefully I have that courage...probably I'll throw in Pascalesque prayers just in case
Administrator

Post 06 Jun 2016, 6:34 pm

freeman3 wrote:Well, hopefully I have that courage...probably I'll throw in Pascalesque prayers just in case

That was one of the saddest days of my life.