Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Statesman

Post 31 Dec 2016, 3:12 pm

rayjay
True, when Jordan conquered the West Bank in 1948 they ethnically cleansed it of all Jewish residents. You never seem to talk about that.

I'll stipulate
approximately 40,000 Jews previously living in the Jordanian controlled West Bank (mainly in East Jerusalem and Hebron) all fled or were expelled to Israel

if you will acknowledge
At the same time, around 700,000 Arab residents of what became Israel (80% of the Arab population) fled or were expelled in the opposite direction.
And there was Deir Yassin, Saliha, the Haifa Oil refinery massacre and lots more crimes on both sides.

Today, most of the world considers the two state solution necessary to peace. The solution also includes Jerusalem as shared or international.... And the settlements and the plans for Jerusalem are n impediment and provocations. Which is fine for Netanyahu who has no genuine plans for peace unless there is capitulation to his terms.
Statesman

Post 31 Dec 2016, 3:25 pm

Fate
I wouldn't know but perhaps you can ask a Syrian refugee who now lives in your country because he was abandoned by the Western powers.

There's 39,000 of them. I would guess that most would say they haven't been abandoned completely since they are now busy making new lives for themselves.
And the million accepted in Germany ... or elsewhere...
Not being willing to enter into a civil war under uncertain terms with an uncertain ally, (ISIS? Al Queda) doesn't mean the world abandoned the Syrian people.

Those nations that willingly accepted and helped refugees did themselves proud. Those nations that did not, I suppose they could be said to have abandoned the Syrians...

fate
Right and might makes right.

Hitler thought this too. And it was man kinds reaction to the horror of WWII that brought about The Geneva Conventions. The 1949 Conventions have been ratified by 196 states, including all UN member states, both UN observers the Holy See and the State of Palestine, as well as the Cook Islands.
But you don't agree with them huh?
Ambassador

Post 31 Dec 2016, 4:32 pm

rickyp wrote:Fate
I wouldn't know but perhaps you can ask a Syrian refugee who now lives in your country because he was abandoned by the Western powers.

There's 39,000 of them. I would guess that most would say they haven't been abandoned completely since they are now busy making new lives for themselves.
Not being willing to enter into a civil war under uncertain terms with an uncertain ally, (ISIS? Al Queda) doesn't mean the world abandoned the Syrian people.

Those nations that willingly accepted and helped refugees did themselves proud. Those nations that did not, I suppose they could be said to have abandoned the Syrians...

fate
Right and might makes right.

Hitler thought this too. And it was man kinds reaction to the horror of WWII that brought about The Geneva Conventions. The 1949 Conventions have been ratified by 196 states, including all UN member states, both UN observers the Holy See and the State of Palestine, as well as the Cook Islands.

2 hints:

1. I didn't post what you replied to--Ray Jay did.

2. When you resort to Hitler, you've acknowledged you have no argument.
Ambassador

Post 31 Dec 2016, 4:37 pm

rickyp wrote:Fate
Again, Israel always trades land for peace. If the PA actually wanted peace, they could have it. They want a peace that guarantees Israel will not have defensible borders. That Israel rejects that baseline only surprises those who don't see Israel as having a right to exist

How do the settlements contribute to Israelis security?
How do you feel about the fourth Geneva conventions? Important step in human development and international relations .... or an inconvenient scrap of paper that just gets in the way when a strong nation wants to expand its borders at the expense of its weaker neighbor?

Let's see, you cite the 4th Geneva Convention. Does that address terrorism? Does it address murdering civilians? Does it address failing to guarantee Israel's existence?

Your view is entirely one-sided.

I'm willing to acknowledge a preference toward the democratic, peace-loving nation. You can choose the terror and murder loving wannabe nation. Feel free, but don't think favoring the murderers gives you the high moral ground.
Ambassador

Post 01 Jan 2017, 8:04 am

Happy New Year everyone. May we all find peace and enjoy good health.

Ricky:
Today, most of the world considers the two state solution necessary to peace.

So do most Israelis.

And the settlements and the plans for Jerusalem are n impediment and provocations.

But not the most important provocation. The most important provocations are:

1. Years of terrorism against Israelis and Jews.
2. Arab / Palestinian failure to recognize Israel as the Jewish nation state.
3. Failure of Democracy amongst the Arab people and the Palestinians.
4. Open and/or tacit support for terrorism amongst the Palestinian leadership.
5. Continued statements that Israel will be wiped off the map by Arabs and Palestinians.
6. U.N. complicity in denying the standing of the Jerusalem in Jewish history and heritage.
7. The U.N.'s anti-Israel bias through endless one sided resolutions including the noxious notion that Zionism is racism.
8. Israeli witness of what Arab governments do to their own people.

To focus on the building of settlements and to ignore these more important issues it to create a distorted view of the Middle East.
Ambassador

Post 01 Jan 2017, 8:53 am

Ricky:
The 1949 Conventions have been ratified by 196 states, including all UN member states, both UN observers the Holy See and the State of Palestine, as well as the Cook Islands.

I'm in favor of the Geneva convention. I don't agree with the UN view that Jerusalem is occupied territory. Jerusalem is the capital of Israel.

If the UN were to declare that Paris, London, and Washington were under its jurisdiction and occupied cities, and then declared that any building on those cities by France, the UK, and the USA was a violation of the Geneva convention, what do you think France, the UK and the US would do?
Ambassador

Post 01 Jan 2017, 9:00 am

Ricky:

Those nations that willingly accepted and helped refugees did themselves proud.

I'm with you on the correct treatment of refugees. So here's the real question. Why is the world willing to resettle Syrian and Iraqi refugees but not willing to resettle Palestinian refugees. What's the excuse of allowing 700,000 Palestinians and 4+ generations of descendants to live in refugee camps for eternity? Is the world --including your beloved UN and its 20+ Arab countries -- going to allow the Syrian and Iraqi refugees to simmer for 70+ years as a political weapon?
Statesman

Post 01 Jan 2017, 10:02 am

rayjay
If the UN were to declare that Paris, London, and Washington were under its jurisdiction and occupied cities, and then declared that any building on those cities by France, the UK, and the USA was a violation of the Geneva convention, what do you think France, the UK and the US would do?

The only one of these three cities that was in jeopardy, in modern times, of being placed under occupation would be Paris. And I'm not talking the Nazis here. Paris was liberated in WWII by the resistance and the Free French Army .... which was important because DeGaulle desperately wanted to avoid occupation and governance by the allied military command.
Anyway, the scenarios you depict aren't happening. Jerusalem and the partitioning of Palestine did happen. Please remember that Palestine was a creation of the League of Nations and administered by the UK.
The proposed partition of Palestine into two nations ignored a lot of principles that have always been nominally anathema to the US.
These proposals, for instance, ignore such principles as self-determination and majority rule. They recognize the principle of a theocratic racial state and even go so far in several instances as to discriminate on grounds of religion and race...

Loy Henderson, Director of the State Department’s Office of Near Eastern and African Affairs 1946.

The morality of the partition itself, let alone the partitioning of Jerusalem was, and still is hotly debated. But we need a resolution. And debating the genesis of original division in order to find a moral higher ground when all the moral eggs were broken with the original bargain, is a losing cause.
We have had, since the 67 war a situation where Israel has been occupying land that was Palestinian both before and after the 1947 UN resolution. That has to be a starting point.
(By the way, this 1947 US resolution that created Israel, you are good with? Or was it a result of a biased organization too)
Last edited by rickyp on 01 Jan 2017, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Statesman

Post 01 Jan 2017, 10:06 am

rayjay
So here's the real question. Why is the world willing to resettle Syrian and Iraqi refugees but not willing to resettle Palestinian refugees. What's the excuse of allowing 700,000 Palestinians and 4+ generations of descendants to live in refugee camps for eternity? Is the world --including your beloved UN and its 20+ Arab countries -- going to allow the Syrian and Iraqi refugees to simmer for 70+ years as a political weapon?

I believe that many want the right to return to their homes? And don't wish to move permanently because it would surrender that right.
There is an incongruity in arguing that jews have a right to return to their homeland. A homeland many have no connection to other than spiritual. But Arabs only one or two generations away from having lived on land are being denied the right to return by those currently occupying the land.
Statesman

Post 01 Jan 2017, 10:24 am

rayjay
But not the most important provocation. The most important provocations are:

1. Years of terrorism against Israelis and Jews.
2. Arab / Palestinian failure to recognize Israel as the Jewish nation state.
3. Failure of Democracy amongst the Arab people and the Palestinians.
4. Open and/or tacit support for terrorism amongst the Palestinian leadership.
5. Continued statements that Israel will be wiped off the map by Arabs and Palestinians.
6. U.N. complicity in denying the standing of the Jerusalem in Jewish history and heritage.
7. The U.N.'s anti-Israel bias through endless one sided resolutions including the noxious notion that Zionism is racism.
8. Israeli witness of what Arab governments do to their own people.

And from the Palestinians point of view.
1. The many years of humiliating check points, and occupation policing.
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... nt/304604/
2. Israel does not recognize Palestine as a State.
3. And democracy is working so well in Israel? Democracy is messy, and difficult and works when liberal institutions are given an opportunity to develop and flourish. It is generally true that the Arab world is dominated by dictators and illiberal democracies.. But as long as Palestine is subject to Infantilization by the occupation and the controls of the occupying forces there is no hope for Palestine to become a different sort of nation. Israel could help here but chooses not to...
4. Terror is resorted to by the weak, who see no other recourse. You may remember that there were successful terrorists called the Irgun? But, because "Might Makes Right" (as seen by some) the Israelis venerate them as freedom fighters..... I agree that the Palestinians should give up support for terror. But see point one, ad understand that human nature usually leads to a violent reaction when no other alternative is offered.
5. From the Palestinians point of view, there are thusands of racist provocations every day ad often from Israelis politicians. “[Palestinians] are beasts, they are not human.” — MK Rabbi Eli Ben-Dahan, Aug 1, 2013. (Hebrew) Rabbi Ben-Dahan will be Israel’s next deputy defense minister, responsible for the army’s “Civil Administration.”
6. And Muslims and Christians also claim Jerusalem as "holy".
7. Israel hasn't always been as isolated as it is today. Its behaviors in the occupation and and its intransigence in negotiating have driven sympathetic nations away. New Zealand sponsored the latest UN resolution for crying out loud.
8. And Arabs witness the daily humiliations of the occupation.
There's a old saying, "He might be a bastard, but he's our bastard". Always better to let the tribe fight amongst itself rather than intervene and have their attentions refocused.
Statesman

Post 01 Jan 2017, 10:39 am

Fate
1. I didn't post what you replied to

I quoted you in my responses.

And I do not regret referencing Hitler. he and his kind are the ultimate product of the philosophy that Might Makes Right. And he also said the German people had a right to "living space". And on the eve of the invasion of Poland he said to his generals..
“Our strength is in our quickness and our brutality. Genghis Khan had millions of women and children killed by his own will and with a gay heart. History sees him only as a great state builder.”

I believe, rather in the inverse.

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it"
Lincoln.
Adjutant

Post 01 Jan 2017, 11:12 am

The Palestinians will not accept Israel; Israel has now given up on a real two state solution and letting right-wing settlers settle the West Bank as a means to prevent that. European support for the Palestinians is related at least in part to their historical dependence on oil from the Middle East. As far as I understand the West Bank was seized by Jordan during 1948 and they had no legal right to it themselves so the idea that that Israel's occupation is any more illegal than Jordan's was seems unfair. But it is fundamentally fair that if there is going to be a Jewish state in Palestine there should also be a Palestinian one and to not allow one is undemocratic. That Israel under Netanyahu appears to be trying to not allow a separate Palestinian state in any real sense by expanding remote Israeli settlements is troubling. There cannot be a Palestinian state if Israel control that state's internal security. Isn't the definition of a state the monopoly on the use of legitimate use of force/violence? On the other hand after 68 years it is time for Palestinians to give up on control of all of Palestine.

It seems to me as a matter of morality Israel has two choices: (1) give up on the idea of a separate Jewish state and allow Arabs in Palestine be Israeli citizens and Israel as a new country composed of Jews and Palestinians will control Israel plus the West Bank, or (2) they should be willing to allow the creation of a separate Palestinian state. We know Israel does not like the first option so the second option is the only option. Setting up a situation where Palestinians will have some kind of illusory state basically would make Palestinians second-class citizens. While Palestinians have been provocative with terrorism and rhetoric, I don't think that justifies Israel in only allowing a rump Palestinian state, when and if Palestinians are ever willing to accept it.

By the way, I was reading of huge off-shore oil field off of Israel that might facilitate a bargain if each side was willing to be realistic.
Administrator

Post 01 Jan 2017, 2:17 pm

Is Palestine supportive of a two-state solution, RickyP? You seem to be saying that Israel should support a two-state solution, but do Palestinians?

Personally, I support a two-state solution, and hold the state responsible for the bad acts that it's citizens commit. If settlements are created in Palestine, the Israeli government should held responsible. If rockets are launched into Israel, then it could be an attack on a nation.
Ambassador

Post 02 Jan 2017, 12:57 pm

bbauska wrote:Is Palestine supportive of a two-state solution, RickyP? You seem to be saying that Israel should support a two-state solution, but do Palestinians?

Personally, I support a two-state solution, and hold the state responsible for the bad acts that it's citizens commit. If settlements are created in Palestine, the Israeli government should held responsible. If rockets are launched into Israel, then it could be an attack on a nation.

The Palestinian position is that Israel allow all Palestinian refugees to return while the West Bank should be cleared of the settlements and its Jewish residents. Barghouti of the PLO Exec Committee said after Kerry's speech: “First, you cannot make the issue of Palestinian refugees only an issue of compensation; you cannot deny people their right to return to their home,” Second, he said that Israel cannot be recognized as a Jewish state. In the past the Palestinians said that all Jewish settlers would have to leave the West Bank. In other words, one state (Israel) would have an additional 1,000,000 + Palestinian residents whereas the other state would be the Palestinian state, presumably Jewish free. They also denounced Kerry's formulation for Jerusalem.

In other words, with all the focus on the Israeli reaction, the bottom line is that none of these proposals would bring peace for Israel as they are not acceptable to the other side.

For what it's worth I share below my Rabbi's view of the situation. For perspective, he is extremely liberal devoting much of his time to hunger, gun control, fair housing, and other issues that are typically associated with the left:

My suggestion is that before people post they should listen to what Israelis think and feel, especially because they are the ones sending their children into the military. Then, only after deep listening, people who do not live in Israel should choose which of the many Israeli opinions they agree with and support. Israel is a dynamic democracy with many points of view.
From what I can sense, the general Israeli consensus, including liberal Israelis who support President Obama, is that Secretary Kerry threw Israel under the bus. Yes, he gave a fiery defense of the two-state solution, but that is not what the U.N. Resolution actually said. The resolution made no distinction between settlements along border blocks, settlements on hilltops deep in disputed territory, and East Jerusalem. The Israelis felt unfairly blamed for the situation as the emphasis was on settlements and not on the actions of Hamas, Islamic Jihad, the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigade, Fatah, Hezbollah, Iran, and Syria. And while "friends don't let friends drive drunk," as Secretary Kerry said, Rabbi Donniel Hartman of the Hartman Institute responded, "Friends don't bring up friends for censure by the Security Council."
Something else that is indicative: Israeli Channel 2 news stopped airing the Kerry speech after a half-hour, and Channels 1 and 10 gave it even less time.
American pundits, and American Jews, keep speaking of a two-state solution. However, none of the largest Israeli political parties: Likud, Zionist Union, or Yesh Atid, believe a two-state solution is currently a viable option. Do we presume to know better than they do? Israel has tried a negotiated two-state solution (in 2001 and 2008) and unilateralism (in 2006 with Gaza). Both have met with rejection for the former and war with the latter.
So if there is no solution, the question changes: how can Israel make the current situation better and safer and work towards a more secure future? Those on the right in Israel believe the time is right to annex Judea and Samaria and to keep building in all other areas of the West Bank. They see settlements as either a religious right or as a defensive barrier to the hostile forces around them, won through legitimate defensive war. Those on the left believe it is time to separate from the Palestinians and dismantle only the hilltop settlements (about 20% of the settlements), but Israel would still retain military control over the West Bank to ensure Iranian proxies do not move in. They see hilltop settlements as a liability, not as security.
Those being the two live options (and not some other fantasy dreamed up in an American living room or think tank), I personally am much more convinced of the second option proposed by the left of dismantling the hilltop settlements but retaining military control. Building settlements deep in disputed territory appears to make life less secure for Israel, not more secure. The religious zealotry (and I am saying this as a rabbi) of some of the settlers is also very dangerous. Finally, I question what is the end goal of building more hilltop settlements amidst Arab villages: Israel cannot absorb 2.6 million Arabs with a 4.1 birthrate. Therefore, I side with the Yesh Atid and Zionist Union Israeli voices.
Siding with an Israeli voice is much different than making up your own opinion based on CNN. I would encourage everyone in the Jewish community who chimes in on this debate begin from the point of view of "how can I support Israel?" This means listening to Israelis, supporting an informed Israeli point of view, and not presuming what is best for them. Israelis have to live the consequences of how to live alongside Palestinians, not us. We need some humility.
Adjutant

Post 02 Jan 2017, 2:11 pm

It's only been about three months or so since US and Israel signed a deal committing 38 billion dollars in military aid over 10 years to Israel (3.8 billion a year is about 20% of Israel's military budget each year ) About 28 percent of Israel's exports go to the US. Even though there is no military alliance it is hard to believe that we would not come to Israel's aid if attacked. Israel also benefits from our veto in the Security Council. Israel's relationship with the US gives it significant leverage.

From what I can tell, RJ's rabbi was addressing a Jewish audience, asking them to be very careful in second-guessing Israel. And that's appropriate given the long history of anti-semitism in the world that continues to the present Jews have to be careful in critiquing Israel.

Obviously non-Jews are not in the same position. Giving 38 billion says everything with regard to who the US favors with regard to Israel and Hamas, Fatah, et al. So it's not the US is singling out Israel for censure with regard to settlements and ignoring all the misbehavior of the Palestinians or all the other groups the rabbi mentioned. We are siding with Israel. But this settlement expansion is something Israel is doing that hampers peace, is Israel catering to religious right-wing settlers for political reasons and simply counting on the US to stay silent. And US criticism of Israel's settlements policy has to seen in the light of everything the US does for Israel, rather than as the US picking on Israel when the Arabs are acting worse.