Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 13 May 2016, 1:34 pm

Sorry to bust your bubble but it has happened four times, hardly a statistical blip now is it?
Administrator

Post 13 May 2016, 1:35 pm

in fact 4 times makes it almost a statistical certainty to happen again doesn't it?
Ambassador

Post 13 May 2016, 8:02 pm

rickyp wrote:tom
I have to disagree with the claim " that nation wide popularity has been almost faultlessly predictive of elections"
The problem with this statement is it's not completely true or honest.

Tom, did you bother to read anything of the 538 article?
Here's what they said...

The truth is — with some notable exceptions — winning the national popular vote typically means winning the presidency;

And they linked to the Gore Bush election as a notable exception. But also said ....
During the past 50 years, for example, in only two elections has the national popular vote been within 2 percentage points.

And even in close elections, an Electoral College/popular vote split isn’t especially likely. Research by Nicholas R. Miller, a political scientist at the University of Maryland Baltimore County, has found that — all else being equal — there’s about a 25 percent chance of a split if the national popular vote is decided by about 1 percentage point, and that the chance is cut in half when the margin is 2 percentage points. We all remember the razor-thin margin in the 2000 election, when George W. Bush won the presidency even though Al Gore won the popular vote. But we forget that the 1960 and 1968 elections were about equally close but didn’t produce a split. Jimmy Carter in 1976 and George W. Bush in 2004 won relatively clear victories in the Electoral College while winning the popular vote by a little more than 2 points. If the national popular vote margin is greater than 4 percentage points, Miller found, the chance of a split is about zero.

So yes, with the notable exception of Gore Bush ... the plurality of vote goes to the winner of the election.
Since its happened in 47 elections, and only once, not ... its almost certain- statistically ... to happen again.

Excuse me, but you are missing the point

*How RARE*

You WERE citing polls, specifically national polls and saying they were far better indicators of who would win.

However, you NOW are citing the actual POPULAR VOTE.

Those are not the same things. No one knows what the 2016 popular vote will be. The current polls may bear little resemblance to the actual vote--which is what my post (and one of Tom's) was all about.

5:1 odds, Sparky.
Statesman

Post 23 May 2016, 1:55 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S2G8jhhUHg
Ambassador

Post 23 May 2016, 6:09 pm

rickyp wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S2G8jhhUHg

And, your Precious, the RCP average of national polls shows Trump ahead of Clinton by 0.2%.
Statesman

Post 24 May 2016, 6:13 am

fate
And, your Precious, the RCP average of national polls shows Trump ahead of Clinton by 0.2%

And McCain was much further ahead at this point...

Clinton 347 Trump 191

(Unless the Libertarian campaign starts to seriously peel away Trump voters...)
Ambassador

Post 24 May 2016, 9:19 am

rickyp wrote:fate
And, your Precious, the RCP average of national polls shows Trump ahead of Clinton by 0.2%

And McCain was much further ahead at this point...

Clinton 347 Trump 191

(Unless the Libertarian campaign starts to seriously peel away Trump voters...)

Nice prediction. Of course, it's based on nothing and you're willing to risk nothing, but . . .

It is funny though. I'm sure you told us the RCP average of national polls was all that mattered when Hillary was ahead. Now? It means nothing!

From your oft-touted 538 article:

The truth is — with some notable exceptions — winning the national popular vote typically means winning the presidency;

Trump is ahead (at the moment) and so it is now meaningless--according to the same person who said, only a few posts ago, the following:

But you can play around to your hearts content on various scenarios on the map linked.
The central thesis is, however, that nation wide popularity has been almost faultlessly predictive of elections.
Which makes this chart the one to watch...

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -5491.html

Um.

Now, I said the polls don't matter until August. And, I still believe that. However, your opinion changes with the fluctuations of the polls.
Statesman

Post 24 May 2016, 3:10 pm

Fate
I'm sure you told us the RCP average of national polls was all that mattered

I said that the plurality winner of popular vote will almost always win the election. The national poll reflects that, and the trend in the poll is vital.

But, we'll see how long Mr. Trumps little flutter keeps him close...
The last few elections there's been a flutter for both Romney and especially mcCain and then things settle in...
I'm willing to bet that demographics, economics and trends have pretty much determined the election. If Hillary is plus 2 points, she wins big... See below.

A few pertinent facts from recent elections:

19 states and the District of Columbia have voted for a Democrat in the last six presidential contests. These alone account for 242 electoral votes — a mere 28 short of the 270 needed to win the presidency.

By comparison, the 13 states which voted Republican in the last six elections contain 102 electoral votes. You can take it to the bank that the GOP would carry these states were its nominee Charles Manson or Benito Mussolini — or even Donald Trump. But even were the GOP to draft Jesus Christ himself, upon resurrection he would have to round up another 168 electoral votes.

This effort did not work out terribly well for another man of faith, Willard Romney. In 2012, Romney received an additional 104 electoral votes. That left him at 206 compared to Barack Obama’s 332. In electoral college terms, a landslide.
Administrator

Post 24 May 2016, 3:13 pm

RickyP did say he is willing to bet...
Ambassador

Post 24 May 2016, 7:47 pm

rickyp wrote:Fate
I'm sure you told us the RCP average of national polls was all that mattered

I said that the plurality winner of popular vote will almost always win the election. The national poll reflects that, and the trend in the poll is vital.

But, we'll see how long Mr. Trumps little flutter keeps him close...
The last few elections there's been a flutter for both Romney and especially mcCain and then things settle in...
I'm willing to bet that demographics, economics and trends have pretty much determined the election. If Hillary is plus 2 points, she wins big... See below.

A few pertinent facts from recent elections:

19 states and the District of Columbia have voted for a Democrat in the last six presidential contests. These alone account for 242 electoral votes — a mere 28 short of the 270 needed to win the presidency.

By comparison, the 13 states which voted Republican in the last six elections contain 102 electoral votes. You can take it to the bank that the GOP would carry these states were its nominee Charles Manson or Benito Mussolini — or even Donald Trump. But even were the GOP to draft Jesus Christ himself, upon resurrection he would have to round up another 168 electoral votes.

This effort did not work out terribly well for another man of faith, Willard Romney. In 2012, Romney received an additional 104 electoral votes. That left him at 206 compared to Barack Obama’s 332. In electoral college terms, a landslide.

You said the RCP national average was the one to watch. I guess I should know better than to believe you can remain consistent for a week.

Looking at the Obama electorate and thinking it will be like the Clinton electorate is begging. People, even Democrats, don't like her. And, there are new skeletons dropping out of the Clinton Foundation on a near-daily basis.
Ambassador

Post 24 May 2016, 7:48 pm

bbauska wrote:RickyP did say he is willing to bet...

He's lying.
Administrator

Post 25 May 2016, 6:14 am

so, we are told the National poll determines the winner. We are told it is a statistical certainty because it has been this way all but one time only to learn it happened four times. But ok it's still the case the majority of times. So we look to the national poll and find Trump is in the lead only to be told it doesn't matter?

A few weeks ago the polls had Clinton in the lead and it mattered THEN, but now it doesn't mean anything? Listen, Trump will no doubt self destruct but when you make such predictions based on polls, then stick by those statements. Admit that if the election were today then trump would win but say it's a long ways off and things can and usually do change. But no, the way things are stated, it's a certainty when your candidate is in the lead yet it's a blip when the other guy is in the lead, can you see why we are driven batty by such incredible blind partisan support???
Ambassador

Post 25 May 2016, 9:52 am

GMTom wrote:. . . can you see why we are driven batty by such incredible blind partisan support???

No, he can't. He thinks he's consistent.
Administrator

Post 25 May 2016, 1:29 pm

actually he IS consistent as far as that goes. Follow the party line no matter what the facts happen to show. It drives me crazy how facts only matter when they are on his side!
Statesman

Post 07 Jun 2016, 7:54 am

So we look to the national poll and find Trump is in the lead only to be told it doesn't matter?

rickyp

But, we'll see how long Mr. Trumps little flutter keeps him close.

not all that long..
the trend ... in Clintons direction...

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -5491.html

And she's having a good week...And Trump is dealing with the the fall out from his "University".
As is Pam Bondi and the AG of Texas...,.
Whats really amazing is that none of this came out in the primaries... Which is suppossed to be such a great system to vet candidates.. Or maybe its just that the republican field was full of incompetents.?

http://fortune.com/2016/03/08/trump-uni ... e-charges/