Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Statesman

Post 09 May 2016, 2:57 pm

danivon
Yes, but by definition, 50% of the two major parties, and 100% of all other parties fail in that regard.

Leaving aside the advantages built in for the established duopoly, and the systemic hurdles thrown in the path of third parties...
Losing constantly or badly is going to cause reflection and usually generates change.
The GOP in their last failure with Romney, spent a great deal of time trying to figure out why. (Unfortunately they've ignored all of the recommendations their "Growth and Opportunity Project" produced).
If Trump is as big as disaster as many predict, that would three losses in a row and the third "YUGE"...
The team GOP would be on a long losing streak...
There could be a lot of other culprits to blame and lots of dross to sort through... But they couldn't go far wrong by making serious changes to their primary system.
Ambassador

Post 09 May 2016, 5:13 pm

Open primaries are a terrible idea. It permits people of no particular ideology to pick a candidate like Trump.
Administrator

Post 10 May 2016, 5:49 am

Isn't the objective of the primary system to nominate a candidate that can win election in the general?

NO
Primaries are for the party members to decide who they want to run. Primaries are not about selecting who is best (or Obama would not be President) but rather who the people WANT.

I don't like the choice but I do like the people decided and not the party. I find it quite strange that you prefer a communistic style over a democratic one. Let the party leaders decide what the people really want?
No, now it makes sense, this is what liberals preach all the time, the government should run our lives so how is this any different? Democracy can be messy, no doubt about it! We end up with idiots like Trump and Clinton as our choices, but I prefer it over others telling us what they know as better, thank you but I prefer to keep it just the way it is!
Administrator

Post 10 May 2016, 5:52 am

Uhhh
"Team GOP's losing streak" would apply to President only now wouldn't it? I seem to recall a rather recent election or two where team Donkey got beat up pretty soundly. But you can keep cherry picking what suits your opinions...
Ambassador

Post 10 May 2016, 7:02 am

rickyp wrote:danivon
Yes, but by definition, 50% of the two major parties, and 100% of all other parties fail in that regard.

Leaving aside the advantages built in for the established duopoly, and the systemic hurdles thrown in the path of third parties...
Losing constantly or badly is going to cause reflection and usually generates change.
The GOP in their last failure with Romney, spent a great deal of time trying to figure out why. (Unfortunately they've ignored all of the recommendations their "Growth and Opportunity Project" produced).
If Trump is as big as disaster as many predict, that would three losses in a row and the third "YUGE"...
The team GOP would be on a long losing streak...
There could be a lot of other culprits to blame and lots of dross to sort through... But they couldn't go far wrong by making serious changes to their primary system.

It's not hard to figure out why Romney lost. It's the same reason Trump has the nomination within his grasp: voters are stupid.

Obama promised transparency. He promised to end wars. He promised his healthcare plan would save people money--and that they would get to keep their doctors.

He promised a lot of things--most of them were garbage.

People didn't examine his rhetoric and compare it to his record. All the crap about "Al Qaida's on the run . . ."

He lied and people believed him.

Trump did the same thing.
Ambassador

Post 10 May 2016, 11:03 am

Doctor Fate wrote:Open primaries are a terrible idea. It permits people of no particular ideology to pick a candidate like Trump.
Obviously some State parties disagree. They might see it as a way to reach out to people outside the party. Also, that they would want to gauge not just support among the 30-35% of voters who will probably go along party lines for them anyway but among the 30-35% of people who float around in the middle. I know that the principled and partisan can't stand those middly guys, but the reality is that they decide elections.

Now, if the national parties wanted to insist on closed primaries and caucuses, I suppose they could, but it would pit them against their state chapters. And of course as primaries have become bound into government election apparatus in many states, would also be complex to change (especially if one party wants to go in a different direction from the other).

In a normal year, opening up the primary ballot to Independents (or even all voters) acts as a balance to the hard-core party members who want ideological purity over electability. This year, Trump has completely upset the apple-cart.

But I don't really think it's the primary/caucus system that is to blame there, so much as that the political establishment of the GOP allowed themselves to be wrongfooted and none of the other wings of the party were able to work together to present a viable alternative, with Cruz as pretty much the only possible alternative, but already behind and with probably a big hurdle to overcome at the General.

After 2012, when Romney struggled to get over the line, more states went "winner-take-all" so as to close down the election sooner and get a clear winner. That has played into Trump's hands a bit, as he wasn't winning 50+% of the vote, but was getting the largest share - partly due to his USP against a large field. I suspect that the Republicans will for 2020 review again.

But still, I think the Democrats have a bigger credibility issue with their primaries.
Ambassador

Post 10 May 2016, 1:45 pm

danivon wrote:But still, I think the Democrats have a bigger credibility issue with their primaries.

True, the super-delegate situation is ridiculous.

That said, I think we will see a lot of changes to the GOP process. Thanks to the idiot, um, I mean Trump.
Ambassador

Post 10 May 2016, 1:58 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:
danivon wrote:But still, I think the Democrats have a bigger credibility issue with their primaries.

That said, I think we will see a lot of changes to the GOP process. Thanks to the idiot, um, I mean Trump.

And when that happens, another set of unintended consequences could fall out.

The Republicans have a problem that goes beyond Trump and Primary difficulties. Those are symptoms.
Last edited by danivon on 10 May 2016, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador

Post 10 May 2016, 2:02 pm

danivon wrote:
Doctor Fate wrote:

And when that happens, another set of unintended consequences c ok uld fall out.

The Republicans have a problem that goes beyond Trump and Primary difficulties. Those are symptoms.

They don't have a problem that a good leader could not solve. Cruz has all the right positions and none of the magnetism and little of the communicative skills needed to be transformative.
Statesman

Post 11 May 2016, 6:16 am

Fate
Cruz has all the right positions

Yes his notion of returning to the Gold Standard is a peach.
His economic plan is so solid.
The most favorable reading of Cruz’s proposals for immigration reform, military spending, tax reform and other changes in the way Washington operates would result in an addition of $3 trillion to the national debt over the next decade. At the other end of the spectrum, the most skeptical reading of his plans would result in the addition of $21 trillion to the debt.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2016/03/0 ... lions-Debt

And his notions on social policy are out of step with the main stream...And on one issue, income inequality, which he admits exists but blames on govnerment here's what his tax plan would do...

The first problem with Cruz's tax plan is that it will exacerbate inequality. Billionaires are expected to benefit the most from Cruz's tax policies. Again, the Tax Foundation's analysis shows that the top one percent will see a 29.6% increase in their after tax gross income, if the plan is implemented. Millionaires will also not be too badly off either with a 17.4% increase in after tax income. In contrast, income for the bottom decile (or, 10 percent) will rise by a measly 4.3%. Similarly, the middle class will see an average of 2.7% rise in income.

Read more: Ted Cruz's Flat Tax: More Simple or Unequal? | Investopedia http://www.investopedia.com/articles/in ... z48Ltro6HC
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

On the other hand, Trump has no real policies. He's depending on the percentage of people who beleive in magic. That just because he says something will happen it will happen. Cruz and the rest of the Republican candidates (except Carson who may not ...who knows) understand that there is a process to governing... So they actually offered policies. None that will possibly work the way they imagine.
But they fit the "conservative" dogma. (Hence the republican problem.)
Trump didn't care about conservative dogma. And since a plurality of Republican primary voters want the magic and don't care about the reality of the process or sticking to the dognma.... he won.
But you can't fool all the people....

Clinton leads Trump by 26 points among women in CNN's poll — more than double the margin President Obama won the group by in 2012.
In a February Washington Post/Univision poll, the last major survey of Hispanic voters, Clinton led by 73%-16% — more than 10 points better than Obama’s already-dominant performance with Latino voters over Mitt Romney in 2012.
Those numbers hold up in key swing states, according to a smattering of recent polling. Clinton led Trump by 13 points in a recent Florida poll, and by 19 points in swing-state New Hampshire.
Clinton had a 42%-35% edge over Trump in a recent survey of Republican-leaning Arizona. She was up by 15 points in Democratic-leaning Pennsylvania. Clinton held by a narrower 3-point margin in Ohio and tied Trump in Republican-leaning North Carolina, according to recent surveys
And she's unpopular.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/electio ... -1.2624578
Administrator

Post 11 May 2016, 7:01 am

Yes Clinton will likely win vs Trump. But to post these polls is a bit of a joke, no kidding she is ahead right now, she was the Democratic front runner the entire time, she was "supposed' to win. She has all that buzz going for her. Trump has come out of the blue and did so in a very ugly primary. As the dust settles and people start to look at Trump vs Clinton and start to examine the sides and get beyond the fractured primary those polls will of course close quite a bit, it's something expected.
I doubt they will get very close but the numbers you are showing are again a bit of a joke to post at this time.

Back in 2007 Obama trailed Clinton by a wide margin as well, those polls changed over time as will these.
Ambassador

Post 11 May 2016, 8:00 am

rickyp wrote:Fate
Cruz has all the right positions

Yes his notion of returning to the Gold Standard is a peach.
His economic plan is so solid.

Oh brother. Here's Obama's economic program: ignore the Debt, increase regulation, keep interest rates artificially low, and pretend that a part-time and under-employed nation is "good enough."

But, you can attack the ghosts of what you want to believe were Cruz's plans all you want because, short of Trump having a heart attack, Cruz isn't going to be the nominee.

On the other hand, Trump has no real policies. He's depending on the percentage of people who beleive in magic.

Kinda like Bernie, or your man, Trudeau.

But you can't fool all the people....

Clinton leads Trump by 26 points among women in CNN's poll — more than double the margin President Obama won the group by in 2012.
In a February Washington Post/Univision poll, the last major survey of Hispanic voters, Clinton led by 73%-16% — more than 10 points better than Obama’s already-dominant performance with Latino voters over Mitt Romney in 2012.
Those numbers hold up in key swing states, according to a smattering of recent polling. Clinton led Trump by 13 points in a recent Florida poll, and by 19 points in swing-state New Hampshire.
Clinton had a 42%-35% edge over Trump in a recent survey of Republican-leaning Arizona. She was up by 15 points in Democratic-leaning Pennsylvania. Clinton held by a narrower 3-point margin in Ohio and tied Trump in Republican-leaning North Carolina, according to recent surveys
And she's unpopular.

Don't put all your eggs in that basket.

Buckle up for the next six months: Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are effectively tied in the swing states of Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania, according to the results of a Quinnipiac University survey released Tuesday.
With voters split along lines of gender, race and age, the presumptive Republican nominee and the likely Democratic nominee appear poised for tight battles in those states, though Democratic candidate Bernie Sanders performs better against Trump than Clinton does and is also seen more favorably by voters in all three states. No presidential candidate has won an election since 1960 without winning at least two of the three states.
Story Continued Below
In Florida, Clinton leads Trump, 43 percent to 42 percent, while Sanders earned 44 percent to Trump's 42 percent. While Clinton holds a 13-point advantage among Florida women — 48 percent to 35 percent — Trump’s lead among men is equally large, at 49 percent to 36 percent. Independent Florida voters are split, 39 percent to 39 percent, while along racial lines, white voters said they would vote for the Republican candidate 52 percent to 33 percent. Among nonwhite voters, 63 percent to 20 percent said they would vote for the Democrat. Clinton’s favorability in Florida is a net negative 20 points (37 percent to 57 percent), though Trump earned the same numbers. For Sanders, 43 percent said they had a favorable opinion of him, 41 percent unfavorable and 14 percent said they did not know enough to have an opinion.
In Ohio, registered voters preferred Trump to Clinton, 43 percent to 39 percent, while Sanders edged Trump 43 percent to 41 percent. Trump leads among men in Ohio, 51 percent to 36 percent, while women prefer Clinton in the state 43 percent to 36 percent. While 49 percent to 32 percent of white voters go for the Republican candidate, a whopping 76 percent to 14 percent of nonwhite voters said they will go for the Democratic candidate. Among voters ages 18 to 34, Clinton leads 43 percent to 39 percent, while voters older than 65 preferred Trump 46 percent to 40 percent. Among independents, 40 percent said they would back Trump and 37 percent would go for Clinton.
In Pennsylvania, Clinton leads 43 percent to 42 percent, mirroring the gender and racial gaps in the other swing states. Among women, Clinton leads 51 percent to 32 percent, while Trump leads with men 54 percent to 33 percent. Clinton holds a 7-point lead among voters ages 18 to 34 (49 percent to 42 percent), while Trump commands the same level of support among voters 65 and older. White voters said they would support the Republican candidate 48 percent to 37 percent, while nonwhite voters said they would support the Democrat, 74 percent to 14 percent.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/t ... z48MMF4m5i
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

I'd suggest it's too early, but if you want to go by polls, it's looking pretty even.
Statesman

Post 12 May 2016, 5:43 am

fate
I'd suggest it's too early, but if you want to go by polls, it's looking pretty even.

Not really.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016 ... .html?_r=0

Now its always possible that Trump can improve on his current performance.
2012. CNN’s exit polls found that “93 percent of African-Americans, 71 percent of Hispanics and 73 percent of Asians supported Obama over Romney.

Clinton will do about the same with Blacks and significantly better with Hispanics.

The question of enthusiasm and turnout matters. Will Trump be met with enthusiastic support? About 10% of republicans have indcated they refuse to vote for him.
But opposition to him, will certainly enthuse opposition.
and in 2012.
Most strikingly, the report confirms earlier analyses that a higher percentage of black voters hit the polls than whites for the first time in an American presidential election. Defying various attempts by the GOP to suppress their voice, 66.2 percent of eligible black voters turned out last November, compared with 64.1 percent of whites. In addition, Hispanics and Asians also turned out at a higher rate in 2012, with about 1.4 million and 555,000 more voters, respectively.

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politi ... ople-color

Obama got 55% of women. Romney 44% ...
Trump will not improve on Romney's performance here...

http://ropercenter.cornell.edu/polls/us ... oted-2012/

Trumps in a big hole. And he keeps digging. His comments about the SCOTUS nominess will be used to ensure that any unenthusiastic about Hillary democrats will turnout. So will his comments on Roe V Wade, womens health, and more...
He can't change what he is...or how he behaves. And he is is own worst enemy.
Hell, even the guy in charge of his VP search isn't s sure about him.
And if you think there's some hope for him in the Electoral College Math...
The truth is — with some notable exceptions — winning the national popular vote typically means winning the presidency; the Electoral College matters only in very close elections, and most of the time not even then.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016 ... .html?_r=0

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/don ... lege-math/
Administrator

Post 12 May 2016, 7:03 am

Will Trump be met with enthusiastic support? About 10% of republicans have indcated they refuse to vote for him.

It may even be more than that!
But here again, you cherry pick what suits you.
You fail to account for the Democrats that will vote for Trump and that could be more than the numbers of Republicans lost. The recent West Virginia polls showed that number is pretty large!

I did a quick check
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/26 ... poll-shows
They claim 20% of Dems will support Trump while 14% Republicans will not vote for him
That could be a scary number if true! Please try to see both sides when posting your cherry picked data.

also, your electoral map data that shows such a huge win gives Clinton Florida, Pennsylvania and Ohio ALL to her, those are very much up for grabs and statistical ties at the current time, that puts your landslide projection into serious doubt!
Statesman

Post 12 May 2016, 9:07 am

tom
I did a quick check

yes you did.
This was apoll done back in January.
Who By and why?
Why isn't this poll being trumpeted anywhere but an opinion piece on US News? That would be because of who the numbers come from.

Mercury Analytics was hired by Trump to gauge feedback on the resonance of his first campaign ad. They are working for Trump. Trump. In fact the CEO of Mercury Analytics, Ron Howard, is an admitted long time friend of Trump:
---------
"The media’s ability to influence is undeniable," says Ron Howard, a Washington-based CEO of Mercury Analytics, an online polling and research firm.

Howard is a longtime friend and conceded that while, yes, the influence is obvious, "there are some issues or topics that are easier to ignite than they are to suppress, or vice-a-versa – the fact that they could make Trump larger than life does not mean that they can as easily bring him down.

Do yourself a favor. When looking at polls, consider the source. And have a look at 538 pollster evaluations. They have the time and expertise to evaluate whether the source is credible.
US Newsfell for one.