Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 20 Apr 2016, 1:16 pm

It is so much fun here.

Disagree . . . have someone use an expletive in describing your actions.

Eventually, liberals chase off all the conservatives, then pat themselves on the back for the fine work they've done.
Ambassador

Post 20 Apr 2016, 1:42 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:It is so much fun here.

Eventually, liberals chase off all the conservatives, then pat themselves on the back for the fine work they've done.

1) You repeatedly accused "liberals" of wanting little girls to be forced to look at penises, and are now offended by a cuss word? That is not simply "disagreeing".

2) When you last left (claiming to have been bullied) you came back with a list of rules you said that you would abide by. You broke most of them.

3) When I look at how Min X / Purple and Slappy were treated by the right (such as you and our charming former member Ruffians), I call hypocrisy.

4) On my use of words, it's a common phrase, and yes it mentions "shit", but I find it describes accurately what happens when someone loudly says "I'm out" and then comes back again to carry on the madness.

5) I thought liberals were the ones who needed to toughen up and stop whining about being offended.
Ambassador

Post 20 Apr 2016, 2:16 pm

danivon wrote:

1) You repeatedly accused "liberals" of wanting little girls to be forced to look at penises, and are now offended by a cuss word? That is not simply "disagreeing".

I was being anatomically correct. I'm not saying I was offended, but it was not necessary.

And, what I said is the inevitable result. Child molesters will take advantage of "access laws." But, I left that forum.

2) When you last left (claiming to have been bullied) you came back with a list of rules you said that you would abide by. You broke most of them.

Yeah, probably should have given myself a post-it. Sorry. I do apologize for being weary of your games (pretending you don't know something and suggesting someone else do the legwork). I won't apologize for getting tired of rickyp's nonsense. He only knows one way to argue: create strawmen and burn them to the ground.

3) When I look at how Min X / Purple and Slappy were treated by the right (such as you and our charming former member Ruffians), I call hypocrisy.

Call whatever you'd like. Min X left, what, 8 or 10 years ago? Any other old bodies you'd care to exhume?

4) On my use of words, it's a common phrase, and yes it mentions "shit", but I find it describes accurately what happens when someone loudly says "I'm out" and then comes back again to carry on the madness.

I didn't.

I saw the fruitlessness of it. For irreligious folk, you certainly have inflexible positions that you are not afraid to repeat until the Sun ceases to exist.

5) I thought liberals were the ones who needed to toughen up and stop whining about being offended.

I'm not offended. I'm tired of the nonsense.

I actually don't mind being disagreed with. I do mind dishonest opponents or those who simply want to debate for the sake of debate. I'll let you decide into which category I believe you fall.
Ambassador

Post 20 Apr 2016, 2:55 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:
danivon wrote:

I was being anatomically correct. I'm not saying I was offended, but it was not necessary.

And, what I said is the inevitable result. Child molesters will take advantage of "access laws." But, I left that forum.
There is a difference between saying what you think will happen, and accusing people of "wanting" that to happen. I have no problem with your use of particular anatomical words, but that accusation itself.

Also, had you stuck around you'd have seen evidence from 12 States in the USA which suggest that that is not happening after several years (sometimes 10 or longer) of anti-discrimination laws covering transsexuals.

Saying a thing is "inevitable" without evidence is not the same as it actually being the case.
Ambassador

Post 20 Apr 2016, 3:48 pm

danivon wrote:
Doctor Fate wrote:
danivon wrote:

There is a difference between saying what you think will happen, and accusing people of "wanting" that to happen. I have no problem with your use of particular anatomical words, but that accusation itself.

Hyperbole.

Also, had you stuck around you'd have seen evidence from 12 States in the USA which suggest that that is not happening after several years (sometimes 10 or longer) of anti-discrimination laws covering transsexuals.

And . . . I didn't. Absence of evidence is not evidence. Look it up.

Saying a thing is "inevitable" without evidence is not the same as it actually being the case.

Nope. I can show plenty of cases where the only thing missing is the defense. That will be forthcoming--because while sexual predators are driven by something I cannot explain, I can safely predict their taking advantage of perceived loopholes.

But, you have your echo chamber. Be warm. Be filled.
Ambassador

Post 20 Apr 2016, 10:17 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:Hyperbole.
Yes that is what you were indulging in.
Emissary

Post 21 Apr 2016, 8:17 am

There seems to be an iron law of Redscape threads which says that all of the meaningful discussion will take place in the first 2-3 pages before it descends into a fetid morass of bickering and circular argument which then takes on a life of its own and rumbles on for months. We'd probably all enjoy it a bit more if subjects were allowed to rest after a week or so, most of the shit would be avoided.
Dignitary

Post 21 Apr 2016, 8:29 am

Sassenach wrote:There seems to be an iron law of Redscape threads which says that all of the meaningful discussion will take place in the first 2-3 pages before it descends into a fetid morass of bickering and circular argument which then takes on a life of its own and rumbles on for months. We'd probably all enjoy it a bit more if subjects were allowed to rest after a week or so, most of the shit would be avoided.

Yeah? Sez you!! See, first page, you're wrong!!

:laugh:
Dignitary

Post 21 Apr 2016, 11:36 am

geojanes wrote:
Sassenach wrote:There seems to be an iron law of Redscape threads which says that all of the meaningful discussion will take place in the first 2-3 pages before it descends into a fetid morass of bickering and circular argument which then takes on a life of its own and rumbles on for months. We'd probably all enjoy it a bit more if subjects were allowed to rest after a week or so, most of the shit would be avoided.

Yeah? Sez you!! See, first page, you're wrong!!

:laugh:

To be clear, this was a joke to defuse the tension . . .
Emissary

Post 21 Apr 2016, 12:12 pm

It's too late George, the damage is done. I now hate you :cry: :cry:
Ambassador

Post 22 Apr 2016, 10:28 am

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/21/11451378/s ... liberalism

Very long. My summary:

While this article could have surely been cut by 70% (or more), it does raise some points I believe are salient:

1. Liberals are so sure they are right that it is a waste of their time to try and prove their "rightness" to “the rube class."
2. Liberals are so sure they are right that the means of imposing their ideals are no longer subject to introspection: might makes right.
3. Liberals are so sure they are right about everything, even the metaphysical, that liberal atheists will lecture professing Christians about what Christianity is.
4. Liberals are so sure they are right that they have determined their opponents are necessarily morons. In fact, they’re too stupid to even understand the insults liberals hurl at them.

From my perspective, this is good news. I’m reminded of a truism in evangelism: “You have to be winsome to win some.” As liberals, generally, have determined being nice is a waste of energy, they have done little but alienate those who “could” (theoretically “should”) be recruited to their side.

The bad news is those who are turned off by the “smugness” of liberalism are, in droves, turning to Trump. I’m not sure where this is going to lead, but I think the end is probably more political upheaval, not less.
Emissary

Post 22 Apr 2016, 12:05 pm

Trump supporters are mostly just the losers from globalisation, which is a project that's been pushed by both right and left. Time was these people would have been natural supporters of left-wing candidates, which to an extent a lot still are (a big chunk of the Sanders supporters for example), but the modern left seems to have ditched their natural working class constituency in favour identity politics.
Ambassador

Post 22 Apr 2016, 12:27 pm

Sassenach wrote:Trump supporters are mostly just the losers from globalisation, which is a project that's been pushed by both right and left.

I think that's mostly correct. However, I think there are also some who are tired of being talked down to, and those who are tired of being promised things that do not happen.

Time was these people would have been natural supporters of left-wing candidates, which to an extent a lot still are (a big chunk of the Sanders supporters for example), but the modern left seems to have ditched their natural working class constituency in favour identity politics.

Certainly, that is going to be Clinton's approach. She has made it abundantly clear.