Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 11 Apr 2016, 1:45 am

Doctor Fate wrote:
Doctor Fate wrote:
Let's see . . . I say "let's ignore all that . . ." and you want to debate all that. Brilliant.
Well, I did not realise it was an order, it looked more like rhetorical sarcasm. Of course you drop them in for a reason, and you don't actually want us to ignore it at all. And you want us to accept it without question?

No, it just happens to be true. Of course, you want to argue about lesser anti-histamines that can't be turned into meth.
Well, no. Please cite where all alcohol sales require ID.

Also, Pseudoephedrine is not an antihistamine. It is a decongestant that can be used alongside antihistamines to help relieve symptoms. Other substances can also relieve symptoms but fo not require ID. What are the ID requirements for antihistamines - please cite them, or accept that you do not need ID for all allergy medicine.

"you" want to argue because I had the temerity to challenge your "facts" as absolutes.

It doesn't matter what the "purpose" for checking ID's for alcohol and other things is, the point is that somehow minorities and the poor manage to get them. Did you ever see a protest about not being able to buy alcohol because of ID requirements? Why is that?

Oh, because they can get ID?
Because many people don't need ID to buy alcohol. Because those who do and don't have it can easily get someone else to do it for them. Because it may be about different forms of ID, even. Because not all vendors actually check ID.

You're funny. The law doesn't matter because there are ways of avoiding it? Therefore, ID requirements are not discriminatory?[/quote]Please cite the law on ID for alcohol sales. Please show where it is mandatory for all sales.

You are missing my point. ID is required as an age check for alcohol. Some of the people who have raised problems with voting ID are quite old - a pattern is people who were born out of state decades ago and maybe were not registered properly at birth. These are people who are unlikely to be asked for ID when buying alcohol.

Sorry, but again this is false. There are businesses who "card" everyone.
There are, but they are not legally obliged to - they are liable for sales to minors, and should card everyone who looks like they may be underage, but do not have to get ID for every alcohol purchase.

So what would someone without ID do? Go to a business that does not card everyone.

This does not apply for voting - either ID is or is not required, and you can't just go to another polling place that has a different policy.

Yes, people also break the law on alcohol sales. Unless people also break the law you want on voter ID, they are not equivalent, are they?

Also, I've never seen liberals restrict their arguments about ID laws being discriminatory to the elderly only.
Well, no, it tends to be old black folks who have problems with ID.
Ambassador

Post 11 Apr 2016, 2:16 am

A bit disappointed that no-one has even addressed the indelible ink idea.

I bet it is massively cheaper than ID.
Statesman

Post 11 Apr 2016, 5:51 am

Fate
What proposals have Democrats put forward to ensure Voter ID laws can be implemented?

I believe the Democrats position is the status quo. Keep things the way they were because voter fraud was not a problem.
The courts generally agree...

Is vote fraud common in American politics? Not according to United States District Judge Lynn Adelman, who examined the evidence from Wisconsin and ruled in late April that “virtually no voter impersonation occurs” in the state and that “no evidence suggests that voter-impersonation fraud will become a problem at any time in the foreseeable future.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/11/upsho ... .html?_r=0

There are more ways to suppress voting creating laws for non-existent problems. Another way is to eliminate polling places in areas where minorities live in great numbers.
That was a practice in Arizona.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/phoenix-lon ... tion-2016/
Statesman

Post 11 Apr 2016, 6:02 am

bbauska
Give every citizen a photo ID that must be used. Simple... Also it could be used for SSI payments

Are you aware that the REAL ID law passed in2008 (?) which was an attempt to set national standards for ID and database sharing among states... Effectively a National ID card. (There's no point in a national ID card if all the states databases don't communicate...)
So far only 4 states are complying and participating. The resistance was/ is enormous...

There is disagreement about whether the Real ID Act institutes a "national identification card" system.[91] The new law only sets forth national standards, but leaves the issuance of cards and the maintenance of databases in state hands; therefore, the Department of Homeland Security claims it is not a "national ID" system.[92] Web sites such as no2realid.org, unrealid.com, and realnightmare.org argue that this is a trivial distinction, and that the new cards are in fact national ID cards, thanks to the uniform national standards created by the AAMVA and (especially) the linked databases, and by the fact that such identification is mandatory if people wish to travel out of the United States.
Many advocacy groups and individual opponents of the Real ID Act believe that having a Real ID-compliant license may become a requirement for various basic tasks. Thus a January 2008 statement by ACLU of Maryland says: "The law places no limits on potential required uses for Real IDs. In time, Real IDs could be required to vote, collect a Social Security check, access Medicaid, open a bank account, go to an Orioles game, or buy a gun. The private sector could begin mandating a Real ID to perform countless commercial and financial activities, such as renting a DVD or buying car insurance. Real ID cards would become a necessity, making them de facto national IDs". However, in order to perform many of those tasks, government-issued identification is already required (e.g., two forms of ID – usually a driver's license, passport, or Social Security card – are required by the Patriot Act in order to open a bank account).[93]
Some critics claim that the Real ID Act violates the Tenth Amendment to the United States Constitution as a federal legislation in an area that, under the terms of the Tenth Amendment, is the province of the states. Thus, Anthony Romero, the executive director of ACLU, stated: "Real ID is an unfunded mandate that violates the Constitution's 10th Amendment on state powers, destroys states' dual sovereignty and consolidates every American's private information, leaving all of us far more vulnerable to identity thieves".[94]
Former Republican U.S. Representative Bob Barr wrote in a February 2008 article: "A person not possessing a Real ID Act-compliant identification card could not enter any federal building, or an office of his or her congressman or senator or the U.S. Capitol. This effectively denies that person their fundamental rights to assembly and to petition the government as guaranteed in the First Amendment".[95]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act
Ambassador

Post 11 Apr 2016, 6:56 am

danivon wrote:
Doctor Fate wrote:
Doctor Fate wrote:
Let's see . . . I say "let's ignore all that . . ." and you want to debate all that. Brilliant.
Well, I did not realise it was an order, it looked more like rhetorical sarcasm. Of course you drop them in for a reason, and you don't actually want us to ignore it at all. And you want us to accept it without question?

No, it just happens to be true. Of course, you want to argue about lesser anti-histamines that can't be turned into meth.
Well, no. Please cite where all alcohol sales require ID.

No, because that would require researching all 50 States' alcohol laws. Every State has different laws. You may think you can demand whatever standard you like, but I'm not playing your silly games.

However, in MA, check it out yourself:

An out of state visitor attempting to enjoy an alcoholic beverage in the Commonwealth, however, may be surprised when their driver’s license is not accepted at a bar or package store because while many Massachusetts retail licensees accept out of state identification, they do so at their own peril.
Pursuant to Section 34B of Chapter 138, in order to avoid being cited for serving alcohol to a minor, a licensed retailer may only reasonably rely upon a customer’s Massachusetts driver’s license, liquor purchase identification card issued by the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles, military ID, or Passport. Out of state driver’s licenses can be accepted by a retailer but should that identification turn out to be either a fake driver’s license or the driver’s license of someone other than the customer, the retailer will be held liable for the violation of service to a minor even if that person’s out of state driver’s license looked real and passed through a scanner designed to spot fake ID’s.

So, anyone with a DL from another State may find it difficult to buy alcohol.

I see no exemption here for the seller's judgment to be substituted for ID.

If there are exceptions in MA, I've not found them. I did find someone complaining that they're not American, lost their passport, and now cannot buy alcohol in MA.

Also, Pseudoephedrine is not an antihistamine. It is a decongestant that can be used alongside antihistamines to help relieve symptoms. Other substances can also relieve symptoms but fo not require ID. What are the ID requirements for antihistamines - please cite them, or accept that you do not need ID for all allergy medicine.

"you" want to argue because I had the temerity to challenge your "facts" as absolutes.

No, you're engaging in a search for microbial nits to ATTEMPT to make a point.

If a minority or poor person requires pseudoephedrine and they do not have ID, they're out of luck. Period.

You're funny. The law doesn't matter because there are ways of avoiding it? Therefore, ID requirements are not discriminatory?
Please cite the law on ID for alcohol sales. Please show where it is mandatory for all sales.

No, you're standing this on its head. You suggested there are ways around the law. As I've pointed out, there are NO EXCEPTIONS in Massachusetts.

Certainly, someone who is 21 in MA and has no ID could vote, but could not buy alcohol--at least not legally.

There are, but they are not legally obliged to - they are liable for sales to minors, and should card everyone who looks like they may be underage, but do not have to get ID for every alcohol purchase.

So what would someone without ID do? Go to a business that does not card everyone.

Again, see above. If they are near 21, a seller would be insane to sell to them. And, it certainly appears to violate MA law.

Your argument is hogwash. No one would be disenfranchised by mandatory ID for voting. Even if it was the case, there are simple remedies. However, the same folks who refuse to take dead people off voter rolls are the same ones who resist voter ID laws.

Why? Because you can't prove voter fraud if you don't look for it.

Also, I've never seen liberals restrict their arguments about ID laws being discriminatory to the elderly only.
Well, no, it tends to be old black folks who have problems with ID.

Why would it be more difficult for elderly black folks than white folks? Please explain.
Adjutant

Post 11 Apr 2016, 10:08 am

I'm not exactly sure what your argument is here. Are you saying that those people being identified as not having a government-issued photo actually have one? If so, do you have any evidence for that?Or are you saying that because they belong to a minority group in an area that purchases a lot of alcohol and that requires ID, that even though that particular individual does not have ID that since his racial group as a whole is able to get ID when it needs it to purchase alcohol this means it would be easy for that individual to get ID?

In any case, the right to vote is not on the same level as the purchasing of alcohol. First, voting is a right and there should be no unnecessary encumbrances on the exercise of that right. The purchasing of alcohol does not have the same standing as the right to vote and therefore more burdens could be put on it. Also, requiring an ID for purchasing alcohol has a valid purpose, to protect against underage drinking. And of course without the ID people who were underage would try to buy alcohol, as opposed to voter ID laws where there is almost no evidence of fraudulent voting. With alcohol the purpose has real-world validity; this has not been shown with voter ID laws.
Ambassador

Post 11 Apr 2016, 10:24 am

freeman3 wrote:I'm not exactly sure what your argument is here. Are you saying that those people being identified as not having a government-issued photo actually have one? If so, do you have any evidence for that?Or are you saying that because they belong to a minority group in an area that purchases a lot of alcohol and that requires ID, that even though that particular individual does not have ID that since his racial group as a whole is able to get ID when it needs it to purchase alcohol this means it would be easy for that individual to get ID?

In any case, the right to vote is not on the same level as the purchasing of alcohol. First, voting is a right and there should be no unnecessary encumbrances on the exercise of that right. The purchasing of alcohol does not have the same standing as the right to vote and therefore more burdens could be put on it. Also, requiring an ID for purchasing alcohol has a valid purpose, to protect against underage drinking. And of course without the ID people who were underage would try to buy alcohol, as opposed to voter ID laws where there is almost no evidence of fraudulent voting. With alcohol the purpose has real-world validity; this has not been shown with voter ID laws.

Where are the people unable to do all the other activities that require ID's?
Administrator

Post 11 Apr 2016, 10:34 am

Freeman, What do you consider an unnecessary encumbrance? Is going to the DMV too much to ask? When it comes to the alcohol, the issue is not a comparison of rights, but the difference of response. You do not hear people (please note I said people, not blacks, asians, elderly or any other group) complaining about not having ID to buy alcohol, get on a plane, buy a gun, write a check et. al.

The point is when it comes to voting; which is a much more important duty that those listed above (and many more) the wimpy effort put forth is lackluster compared to the effort people put forth to show ID for something they want.

I do not think it is a big problem to drive 100 miles and get an ID if that is what is needed. When I have to get my retiree ID card renewed, or my children on my insurance, I have to drive 168 miles. It is not convenient. It is a necessity, that must be done. I do not expect the US Government to come to me and give me an ID card. If I want it done, I get it done. I have a right to that ID card. I have a responsibility to get it if I want it.

Freeman (et. al.), why the difference in response when voting compared to everyday instances when ID is required??

Danivon, I would be fine with the indelible ink and only having the voting be on election day.

RickyP, I am aware of the Real ID 2008 law that is not supported by many? My question is why is it not supported?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act

The Real ID Act has faced criticism from across the political spectrum and remains the subject of several ongoing controversies. Opponents of the Real ID Act include libertarian groups, like the Cato Institute,[72] immigrant advocacy groups, human and civil rights organizations like the ACLU, Christian advocacy groups such as the American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ),[73] privacy advocacy groups like the 511 campaign, state-level opposition groups such as from North Carolina[74] and Florida,[75] government accountability groups, labor groups like AFL-CIO, People for the American Way, consumer and patient protection groups, some gun rights groups, many state lawmakers, state legislatures, and governors, and The Constitution Party among others.[76][77] Real ID is opposed by such groups as Gun Owners of America, by the editorial page of the Wall Street Journal, and Obama administration. Along with the Bush administration, the Real ID Act is strongly supported by the conservative Heritage Foundation and by many anti-illegal immigration advocates.[76] Founded by evangelical Christian Pat Robertson, the American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ) participated in a joint press conference with the ACLU in 2008, highlighting the broad diversity of the coalition opposing Title II of the REAL ID Act.[78] The REAL ID Act causes concerns for transgender people, as well.[79] The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence has also voiced concern about REAL ID.[80]

Several legal challenges to REAL ID are underway by individuals in state courts, including Adrian Wyllie in Florida[81] and Kaye Beach in Oklahoma.[82]

Among the 2008 presidential candidates, according to a February 2008 CNet report at news.com, John McCain strongly supported the Real ID Act, Barack Obama and Ron Paul flatly opposed it, while Hillary Clinton called for the law to be reviewed.[83] In a September 2007 interview Mike Huckabee expressed opposition to the Real ID Act, calling the Real ID Act "a huge mistake".[84]

With such broad-based opposition, perhaps it is just not a good law...
Adjutant

Post 11 Apr 2016, 10:45 am

The point is Brad that a significant number of people are able to live their lives without a government-issued photo ID. And while it may very well be that they would go to great lengths to get a photo ID for something they really need (e.g. Government benefits) they won't do it to vote. Voting should not be unnecessarily encumbered. But you probably get to the same result if you required that everyone getting Medicare or any kind of government benefit to get a government-issued photo ID.
Ambassador

Post 11 Apr 2016, 11:11 am

freeman3 wrote:The point is Brad that a significant number of people are able to live their lives without a government-issued photo ID. And while it may very well be that they would go to great lengths to get a photo ID for something they really need (e.g. Government benefits) they won't do it to vote. Voting should not be unnecessarily encumbered. But you probably get to the same result if you required that everyone getting Medicare or any kind of government benefit to get a government-issued photo ID.

I don't believe this statement is true: "a significant number of people are able to live their lives without a government-issued photo ID."

I believe it is a small number and they are mostly militia-like nuts.

For example, if someone is poor and has no ID, can they get welfare benefits? If they're not poor, why is ID an obstacle to voting?
Administrator

Post 11 Apr 2016, 11:25 am

As I think about it, I think I may have deduced the difference. To me, voting is not just a right, but a responsibility. I MUST do what it takes to complete that responsibility. Probably mission oriented, but there we are. To some others, it is not a responsibility. The level of caring is not enough to get an ID. They want it given w/o any "unnecessary encumbrances". I find that sad. People are not caring enough to get the job done, but care just enough to bitch and moan about it.

You are right, that is there was a requirement on Medicaid to insist on ID to receive benefits, there would be an uproar on that as well.
Ambassador

Post 11 Apr 2016, 11:49 am

freeman3 wrote:The point is Brad that a significant number of people are able to live their lives without a government-issued photo ID. And while it may very well be that they would go to great lengths to get a photo ID for something they really need (e.g. Government benefits) they won't do it to vote. Voting should not be unnecessarily encumbered. But you probably get to the same result if you required that everyone getting Medicare or any kind of government benefit to get a government-issued photo ID.

I really don't get how DF and bbauska are so blinkered on this simple point. Until relatively recently, photo ID was not really required that much. If you don't drive, don't drink, and don't need restricted drugs, what do you need it for?

Also, what happens when the ID that can be used doesn't match the government issued one you have.

Like Veteran's ID

Or if you are unable to obtain the ID because 92 years ago your parents didn't register your birth, and you have a driving licence but it has expired because you are too old to drive.

Sure, it is worth potentially denying these people's votes because of the potential that someone else might be fraudulent. Hey, maybe they will live long enough to get a vote in a later election.

Anyway, indelible ink, guys?
Adjutant

Post 11 Apr 2016, 11:50 am

This analysis from politifact covers the data on the number of people not having photo ID pretty well.
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/statemen ... -voters-l/
Adjutant

Post 11 Apr 2016, 11:52 am

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Election_ink
Ambassador

Post 11 Apr 2016, 12:06 pm

freeman3 wrote:This analysis from politifact covers the data on the number of people not having photo ID pretty well.
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/statemen ... -voters-l/

Actually, they rate it "half-true." Did you read the whole article?