Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 29 Mar 2016, 9:18 am

As for the nine points....

1. ISIS only began after we left and was not really apparent until 2013-2014. At what point should he have noticed and done something about it?

2. Could Mubarak have stayed in power even if we supported him? Anyway, is Egypt in a worse position today than under Mubarak?

3. Are you arguing that Khaddayi wholesale slaughtering of the rebels would have been a better outcome?

4. Why didn't Republicans authorize use of force? Anyway, it was a very complex situation--hit Assad forces too hard you get regime collapse and fertile ground for radical forces; don't hit hard enough it looks weak anyway.

5. What is Russia getting out of this Middle East involvement? Nothing I can see.

6. Time will tell if that agreement was good or not. But right now Iran is complying,
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/ ... ce8a5a6839

7. So has this affected our strategic interests? Ok we did not fight a war over Ukraine. Are you saying we should have done so? We did quickly move forces to th Baltic States to indicate that Putin was not to go further. And he hasn't.
8. This is too vague. Again how have our interests been threatened? We did come up with a trade deal to bind Asian countries other than China (which I don't particularly like but if we're worried about Chinese expansionism it helps to counter that).
9. Again too vague. What allies and for what? Can you point to a concrete situation where an ally has sought US help, was denied and had to turn elsewhere?
Ambassador

Post 29 Mar 2016, 10:03 am

freeman3 wrote:As for the nine points....

1. ISIS only began after we left and was not really apparent until 2013-2014. At what point should he have noticed and done something about it?

Sorry, but I'm not going to engage in a back and forth as long as your just going to give your opinion. Here's why: because, with all due respect, your opinion is misinformed. For example:

President Barack Obama's former top military intelligence official said Tuesday that the White House ignored reports prefacing the rise of ISIS in 2011 and 2012 because they did not fit its re-election "narrative."

"I think that they did not meet a narrative the White House needed. And I'll be very candid with you, they just didn't," retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, the former head of the Defense Intelligence Agency, told CNN's Jake Tapper on "The Lead."
Flynn, who has been critical of both Obama's and former President George W. Bush's handling of the Iraq War and involvement in the Middle East, said that Obama was served poorly by a small circle of advisers who were worried about his re-election prospects at the time.
The story they needed to tell, he said, was that pulling troops from Iraq would not leave the region vulnerable to the rise of a radical Islamic group like ISIS.
"I think the narrative was that al Qaeda was on the run, and (Osama) bin Laden was dead. ... They're dead and these guys are, we've beaten them," Flynn said -- but the problem was that no matter how many terrorist leaders they killed, they "continue to just multiply."
Obama has been criticized by opponents for referring to ISIS as the "JV squad" and apparently underestimating the group's threat. The Pentagon's inspector general is investigating complaints that top intelligence officials manipulated reports to make the threat of ISIS look minimal.

I'm not saying all of your points have no validity. I am saying it is a waste of time trying to talk you out of your opinions.

One last one:

6. Time will tell if that agreement was good or not. But right now Iran is complying,
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/ ... ce8a5a6839

That guy is sure nice.

But, we're not supposed to think Iran's behavior elsewhere might be an indicator? The "brilliance" of the Kerry/Obama team was making this deal so limited that it was difficult to break. Iran hires Iranian companies to hack our systems? Not a problem. Iran violates UN sanctions related to missiles? Not a problem.

ran violated a U.N. Security Council resolution in October by test-firing a missile capable of delivering a nuclear warhead, a team of sanctions monitors said, leading to calls in the U.S. Congress on Tuesday for more sanctions on Tehran.

The White House said it would not rule out additional steps against Iran over the test of the medium-range Emad rocket.

The Security Council's Panel of Experts on Iran said in a confidential report, first reported by Reuters, that the launch showed the rocket met its requirements for considering that a missile could deliver a nuclear weapon.

"On the basis of its analysis and findings the Panel concludes that Emad launch is a violation by Iran of paragraph 9 of Security Council resolution 1929," the panel said.

The pattern of Obama: bring all manner of rhetorical hell upon Republicans and nations that we have traditionally been friendly with, and go out of his way to be nice to foreign enemies, like Iran.

Gee whiz Wally, why do you suppose they're testing missiles capable of carrying a nuclear warhead?

I dunno Beav, I dunno.
Adjutant

Post 29 Mar 2016, 10:31 am

I'm not misinformed. Nothing in your link indicates that ISIS was identifiable in 2011. All it says that pulling troops left us vulnerable to a group like ISIS. Big difference. Of course there was always a substantial risk that radicals could step in when we left. But the American people indicated they wanted out of Iraq and were not willing to have an indefinite presence there where we would continue to take casualties. Radical groups were weak when we left. But when we left they got stronger. Maybe predictable but not certain and we wanted out (not just Obama, most of America). I don't think that being in Iraq indefinitely would have been a better outcome even now. Probably not and in any case it was not a feasible option, either from American or Iraqi politics.
Ambassador

Post 29 Mar 2016, 10:44 am

freeman3 wrote:I'm not misinformed. Nothing in your link indicates that ISIS was identifiable in 2011.

Um, maybe you have a different interpretation for this (previously posted)?

President Barack Obama's former top military intelligence official said Tuesday that the White House ignored reports prefacing the rise of ISIS in 2011 and 2012 because they did not fit its re-election "narrative."

"I think that they did not meet a narrative the White House needed. And I'll be very candid with you, they just didn't," retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, the former head of the Defense Intelligence Agency, told CNN's Jake Tapper on "The Lead."

All it says that pulling troops left us vulnerable to a group like ISIS. Big difference.

No, that's what GWB said--not what Flynn said. And, he was at DNI, then the director of DIA in July 2012. He would know.

I don't think that being in Iraq indefinitely would have been a better outcome even now. Probably not and in any case it was not a feasible option, either from American or Iraqi politics.

Even so, the fact is Obama was caught flat-footed by the rise of ISIS and he should not have been. He just didn't want to believe it. He disregarded what the experts told him because he preferred his fantasy world. Actually, that is his foreign policy in a nutshell: fantasy.
Adjutant

Post 29 Mar 2016, 1:04 pm

There is a Defense Intelligence Agency report from August 2012 (I think this is what Flynn is mainly relying on) that mentions ISI and its possibly joining with other groups to form a state. There was not heavy emphasis on it nor was it clear what a president would be expected to do with it. Also ISI was a group that had been around since 2006--it had not grown into ISIS, yet. Again, this was a year after we left.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/defense-in ... me/5451216
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/11/19/wo ... s-in-2012/

If Flynn was that concerned that ISI was going to be a major concern he might have highlighted it a bit more instead of putting it in paragraph 8D1. I don't know about the defense intelligence agency but when I am making arguments before a judge I put the most important first not in subsection four of the eighth paragraph...

Obama was arguably slow to react in 2013 and 2014 once ISIS had started to become a bigger threat--not before then, I think.
Ambassador

Post 29 Mar 2016, 1:39 pm

freeman3 wrote:Obama was arguably slow to react in 2013 and 2014 once ISIS had started to become a bigger threat--not before then, I think.

Let's see . . . 2013:

On November 1, 2013, Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki visited the White House, and made a rather stunning request. Maliki, who celebrated when the last U.S. troops left his country in 2011, asked Obama to quietly send the military back into Iraq and help his beleagured Air Force develop targets for air strikes; that’s how serious the threat from Sunni insurgents led by the extremist group ISIS had become.
Twelve days later, Brett McGurk, a deputy assistant secretary of state and the Obama administration’s senior U.S. official in Baghdad since the crisis began last month, presented to Congress a similarly dark warning. ISIS was launching upwards of 40 suicide bombers a month, he said, encouraged in part by the weakness of Maliki’s military and the aggressively anti-Sunni policies of the Shi’ite prime minister. It was the kind of ominous report that American intelligence agencies had been delivering privately for months. McGurk added that ISIS had “benefited from a permissive operating environment due to inherent weaknesses of Iraqi security forces, poor operational tactics, and popular grievances, which remain unaddressed, among the population in Anbar and Nineweh provinces.”

2012:

In congressional testimony as far back as November, U.S. diplomats and intelligence officials made clear that the United States had been closely tracking the al Qaida spinoff since 2012, when it enlarged its operations from Iraq to civil war-torn Syria, seized an oil-rich province there and signed up thousands of foreign fighters who’d infiltrated Syria through NATO ally Turkey.

The testimony, which received little news media attention at the time, also showed that Obama administration officials were well aware of the group’s declared intention to turn its Syrian sanctuary into a springboard from which it would send men and materiel back into Iraq and unleash waves of suicide bombings there. And they knew that the Iraqi security forces couldn’t handle it.

The group’s operations “are calculated, coordinated and part of a strategic campaign led by its Syria-based leader, Abu Bakr al Baghadi,” Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Brett McGurk told a House committee on Feb. 5, four months before fighting broke out in Mosul. “The campaign has a stated objective to cause the collapse of the Iraqi state and carve out a zone of governing control in western regions of Iraq and Syria.”

The testimony raises an obvious question: If the Obama administration had such early warning of the Islamic State’s ambitions, why, nearly two months after the fall of Mosul, is it still assessing what steps, if any, to take to halt the advance of Islamist extremists who threaten U.S. allies in the region and have vowed to attack Americans?

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation- ... rylink=cpy

More:

Seventeen months before President Obama dismissed the Islamic State as a "JV team," a Defense Intelligence Agency report predicted the rise of the terror group and likely establishment of a caliphate if its momentum was not reversed.

While the report was circulated to the CIA, State Department and senior military leaders, among others, it's not known whether Obama was ever briefed on the document.

The DIA report, which was reviewed by Fox News, was obtained through a federal lawsuit by conservative watchdog Judicial Watch. Documents from the lawsuit also reveal a host of new details about events leading up to the 2012 Benghazi terror attack -- and how the movement of weapons from Libya to Syria fueled the violence there.

The report on the growing threat posed by what is now known as the Islamic State was sent on Aug. 5, 2012.

The report warned the continued deterioration of security conditions would have "dire consequences on the Iraqi situation," and huge benefits for ISIS -- which grew out of Al Qaeda in Iraq.

"This creates the ideal atmosphere for AQI (Al Qaeda in Iraq) to return to its old pockets in Mosul and Ramadi," the document states, adding "ISI (Islamic State of Iraq) could also declare an Islamic state through its union with other terrorist organizations in Iraq and Syria, which will create grave danger in regards to unifying Iraq and the protection of its territory."

If Obama didn't know, it's out of willful neglect.
Adjutant

Post 29 Mar 2016, 1:50 pm

So back in August, 2012 the DIA mentioned in a report that ISI "could" form a state in alliance with other terrorist groups. And it was buried in paragraph 8(D) of the report. It's a wonder that the president didn't order immediate action based on that...
Ambassador

Post 29 Mar 2016, 2:19 pm

freeman3 wrote:So back in August, 2012 the DIA mentioned in a report that ISI "could" form a state in alliance with other terrorist groups. And it was buried in paragraph 8(D) of the report. It's a wonder that the president didn't order immediate action based on that...

I already told you what General Flynn said--that he knew.

However, unless I find something on youtube, you will not change your mind.

Congressional testimony by someone who worked for Obama?

In congressional testimony as far back as November, U.S. diplomats and intelligence officials made clear that the United States had been closely tracking the al Qaida spinoff since 2012, when it enlarged its operations from Iraq to civil war-torn Syria, seized an oil-rich province there and signed up thousands of foreign fighters who’d infiltrated Syria through NATO ally Turkey. The testimony, which received little news media attention at the time, also showed that Obama administration officials were well aware of the group’s declared intention to turn its Syrian sanctuary into a springboard from which it would send men and materiel back into Iraq and unleash waves of suicide bombings there. And they knew that the Iraqi security forces couldn’t handle it. The group’s operations “are calculated, coordinated and part of a strategic campaign led by its Syria-based leader, Abu Bakr al Baghadi,” Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Brett McGurk told a House committee on Feb. 5, four months before fighting broke out in Mosul. “The campaign has a stated objective to cause the collapse of the Iraqi state and carve out a zone of governing control in western regions of Iraq and Syria.”. . .

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/feed/3839 ... -pollowitz

ISIS took Raqqa in late 2013. If Obama didn't take them seriously by then, well, he's pretty hopeless.

However, if you want to believe he didn't know about them in 2011-12, I don't have video yet. I'll keep looking. If you believe the US was "closely tracking" it in 2012, but keeping that info from the President, well, okay.
Statesman

Post 29 Mar 2016, 2:21 pm

freeman3
All it says that pulling troops left us vulnerable to a group like ISIS. Big difference. Of course there was always a substantial risk that radicals could step in when we left.

To add to your point...
And what was happening while the troops were actually there? Peace? Anything like peace?
The US troops were being attacked and wounded and killed. 150 dead and over 500 wounded in 2009
and 60 dead 330 wounded in 2010
54 dead 260 wounded in 2011.

There was still plenty of violence, despite their presence. Much of it focused on them. Inspired by their presence. It was after all, the US presence that helped drive recruitement by Baghdadi.
The notion that the US populace was, at any point after 2008, willing to invest more lives and treasure on more of the same in Iraq is nonsense.
The notion that US armed forces were going to will a solution is nonsense. If 130,000 couldn't rid Iraq of Al Queda, how were 5,000 to impact it successor, Daesh?
No one honestly believes that there is a military solution that can be imposed upon millions of Arabs from foreigners.
Today, the notion that the US should land a large land force in Iraq to engage Daesh and later Syria is not supported by any substantial portion of the populace. This because, they learned from the Iraq experience that military has its limits and has enormous costs, especially in dead and crippled soldiers.
There is a substantial portion of the populace who "believe" in a magical solution where US bombers somehow magically rid the area of Daesh without involving US troops and everything is magically peaceful in the region...
This portion of the populace is voting for Trump. They believe anything.
Adjutant

Post 30 Mar 2016, 11:47 am

Bush Administration agreed to leaving Iraq by 2011.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/ray-odie ... cb8d333f96

We left on December 18, 2011. The Bush Administration agreed to leave by December 31, 2011.

Also, it's also unclear what Obama was supposed to do with intelligence projections after we left. Before we left at least you could argue that he could talk to Iraqis about it. After we left it seems like he would have to wait until something actually happens. Take the August 2012 report--what was he supposed to do with the info that ISI might join with other terrorist groups to from a state? Iraq is a sovereign state and we just left. Was he supposed to tell the Iraqi president that we need to intervene militarily based on what might happen in the future?
Ambassador

Post 30 Mar 2016, 12:20 pm

Who could have predicted that a thread about Western Europe would end up discussing whether Obama is to blame for ISIS?

Sigh...
Ambassador

Post 30 Mar 2016, 12:31 pm

freeman3 wrote:Bush Administration agreed to leaving Iraq by 2011.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/ray-odie ... cb8d333f96

We left on December 18, 2011. The Bush Administration agreed to leave by December 31, 2011.

Right. Here we go again.

Bush tied Obama's hands behind his back and prevented him from negotiating with Maliki.

Now, you tell me there was no way Maliki would let US forces be exempt from Iraqi law. I tell you that's not the case and we go round and round.

No thanks.

Also, it's also unclear what Obama was supposed to do with intelligence projections after we left. Before we left at least you could argue that he could talk to Iraqis about it. After we left it seems like he would have to wait until something actually happens. Take the August 2012 report--what was he supposed to do with the info that ISI might join with other terrorist groups to from a state? Iraq is a sovereign state and we just left. Was he supposed to tell the Iraqi president that we need to intervene militarily based on what might happen in the future?

Oh, for starters he could not call them the "jay vee squad."

Other than drone strikes and a few raids, he could not have done less to eliminate ISIS.
Ambassador

Post 30 Mar 2016, 12:33 pm

Who could have predicted that a thread about Western Europe would end up discussing whether Obama is to blame for ISIS?

Sigh...
Adjutant

Post 30 Mar 2016, 12:34 pm

Agreed. We have discussed this issue enough. Until it circles back again...