Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Emissary

Post 25 Feb 2016, 9:46 pm

Bravo to Kasich for how he has conducted himself throughout this process. He did his absolute best tonight and in my opinion is the last of the civil politicians America will see for a long time.

I also think Trump did well in tonight's debate. He finally mentioned heroin as part of the reason to build his acclaimed wall. I've been waiting for him to get into weeds such as these for a while now. When he mentioned the insidious drug the room fell silent. Why? Because the country has caught on to the fact that heroin is devastating our nation's families.

Back to Kasich..I think he is probably the best candidate the Republicans can offer the country and I say this because first and foremost he is a gentleman. However, America is the mob and I've discussed it before ad nauseum, America, in particular the swing voter, wants the big show. We want to be entertained in the end and Trump offers free entertainment. He fell back on his best card tonight a few times, namely, that he is not a politician. That's where his energy lies. That's why he is going to win the nomination and the election. The American swing voter would rather throw the dice on an experiment like Trump than see another "professional" bought and sold politician surface and do nothing. Let's at least throw the dice for 4 years.

But God bless John Kasich for being true to his values. God bless him for rising above these jackals and remaining true to himself. He should get the nomination but of course he will not. And as much of a loss it may turn out to be for the country, Kasich will keep his soul in tact. I'm not sure the same can be said of the 3 stooges.

I hope Trump involves him somehow after this madness is over.
Last edited by dag hammarsjkold on 27 Feb 2016, 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Statesman

Post 26 Feb 2016, 7:00 am

Dag
That's why he is going to win the nomination and the election.

Let us hope that President Lincoln was right about the "Fool some of the people some of the time.... "

The Republican primary voter makes up less than a third of all voters. And the portion supporting Trump right now maybe 12%.
As for his electability?
The bottom line is that Trump now has a higher unfavorable rating than any candidate at any time during all of these previous election cycles, and that conclusion takes into account the fact that unfavorable ratings tend to rise in the heat of a general election campaign as the barbs, negative ads and heightened partisanship are taken to their highest levels. Gallup routinely reports favorable ratings based on national adults, but some of the favorable ratings in the final months of an election year that I discuss below are based on registered voters.

http://www.gallup.com/opinion/polling-m ... image.aspx

Do you think the last 6 weeks of campaign campaign has polished his image with many voters who are black, Hispanic, or female?
Emissary

Post 28 Feb 2016, 6:23 pm

Rickyp,

Perhaps we wil have a clearer picture of who is voting for who and why next week. I find it fascinating that the Chump keeps "winning" inspire of so many doubters like yourself.
Statesman

Post 29 Feb 2016, 7:35 am

dag
Perhaps we will have a clearer picture of who is voting for who and why next week. I find it fascinating that the Chump keeps "winning" inspire of so many doubters like yourself.

If Trump wins everything on Super Tuesday except Texas, as the polls predict, he's virtually assured. Kasich stands in his way in Ohio but Trump is way ahead in Michigan.
I think the only chance to stop him is if everyone bails and supports Kasich after Ohio. And Cruz won't do that since he'll win Texas.... and he wants Kasich to do the same for him. Rubio may hang in till Florida too, fragmenting the opposition vote too much.
And frankly, if you actually look at alll these candidates policies, everyone of them is too extreme to be comfortable with Ron Reagan's policies. Including Kasich. (Rubio was the "first Tea Party Senator") .
When you go extreme, or "reliably conservative" as Cruz keeps saying, you diminish your appeal with the mainstream.
And when you pander to the extreme as republicans have done for a while, but don't satisfy their extreme appetites while in office ...you inevitably lead to a demagogue who knows no bounds of civility or reason.

You seem to have the perception Dag that the Republican primary voter reflects the general electorate.
It doesn't. It reflects the core of the republican party. Which is the Tea Party. White, old and angry and disproportionately male. They won't abandon him through Super Tuesday, or in Michigan.
It means Trump can count on 33% of the general electoral vote who fall into this demographic umbrella.
Hillary can count on Blacks, Hispanics and a majority of both college educated men and all women. That gets her to almost 50%... Sanders will campaign like hell for her..... and his supporters will all fall in line. She'll get over 95% of registered Democrats, and probably a quarter of registered republicans who can't abide Trump...

Already mainstream republicans are bailing on supporting Trump in the General. The first republican senator came out yesterday asking people to vote for a third party...
And McConnell has plans to have vulnerable Senators run ads divorcing themselves from Trump....
Unless a miracle has occurred since Trump refused to disavow the KKK Sunday morning .... (And frankly that's going to help him in the deep south) he's wiping th floor on Tuesday. And it'll all be over in Arizona on the 22nd.
Then, all hell really breaks loose... There will be third party candidates arising and Republicans bailing ... Hillary will be unstoppable.