Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 23 Jul 2016, 8:12 am

danivon wrote:Pardon me if I am wrong about this, but isn't Sanders an Independent who has not been a registered Democrat in over 30 years? Who has run against (and beaten) Democrats? He does caucus with them in Congress, but is not in the Party and often votes against the Democratic leaders line.

Does a party have to be "fair" to an outsider seeking nomination, when there are party members going for the same slot? Perhaps the Republicans will wish they had done more to block Trump's entryism.

You may have a point. However, I don't know that Bernie supporters are going to agree. He said the system is rigged and . . . now they have proof.
Emissary

Post 24 Jul 2016, 9:41 pm

From Danivon:

Does a party have to be "fair" to an outsider seeking nomination, when there are party members going for the same slot?

Yes. When you are the DNC, you better believe it. Which is why this idiot is being forced to step down...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/25/us/politics/debbie-wasserman-schultz-dnc-wikileaks-emails.html

Bernie should not take the stage. He should not even show to this facade. If he does, I want my money back.
Ambassador

Post 25 Jul 2016, 1:37 am

What money?
Emissary

Post 25 Jul 2016, 7:29 am

The $100 I sent his campaign. I didn't send him $ so that he would cow tow to this criminal knowing that the entire process was rigged. Now that there is proof it was rigged, he should not step foot on that stage this week. If he does, I expect a refund.
Adjutant

Post 25 Jul 2016, 7:53 am

I was a Sanders' supporter, I don't particularly care for Hillary (or Bill at this point), and I don't like the status quo that Hillary represents. But electing Trump would be throwing gasoline on a fire with regard to the divisions in this country, particularly racial divisions. Stopping Trump is the main thing right now; our country is still a prosperous country with violence rates dropping. I just don't want to see what damage Trump can do to the country. With Hillary you know things won't change that much, good or bad. With Trump I am not sure where the bottom is.
Administrator

Post 25 Jul 2016, 8:40 am

Here's the thing about those feelings
I agree with most of what you said but you failed to allow for the possibility it COULD work.
The floor is pretty low but the ceiling is higher as well.
Adjutant

Post 25 Jul 2016, 9:34 am

I think it's wishful thinking that Trump can do much good. First of all, politics is like anything--it takes some experience to be good at it. Why is it that we think that someone with no experience in politics can start off at the top when in everything else we expect that people need training and experience? What neophyte politician has done well?

Secondly, how is Trump going to overcome the gridlock in Congress? There are deep divisions in this county that account for much of that as well as politicians not wanting to offend major donors. That is not going to change with Trump getting elected. The only thing Trump can do is increase military spending and cut taxes. Is that what we need? Maybe he can do better on trade deals, we'll see if he winds up having the guts to do anything there. So I guess I am not seeing too much of a ceiling. Maybe you have some specifics on what he could do? Should we just hope that somehow he can break through the gridlock in Congress and get things done?
Ambassador

Post 25 Jul 2016, 11:13 am

dag hammarsjkold wrote:The $100 I sent his campaign. I didn't send him $ so that he would cow tow to this criminal knowing that the entire process was rigged. Now that there is proof it was rigged, he should not step foot on that stage this week. If he does, I expect a refund.

Good luck with that.
Emissary

Post 25 Jul 2016, 12:17 pm

I haven't read the emails, so can somebody explain to me how this was rigged ? I get that there may well have been a huge amount of institutional backing for Clinton, but then we knew that already. Sanders still had the opportunity to win votes just like any other candidate right ? And in fact his perceived outsider status helped him to win far more votes than he had any right to expect.
Adjutant

Post 25 Jul 2016, 12:31 pm

It was totally rigged. First, you start out with the fact that so many super delegates were in Hillary's pocket. That already took part of the vote outside the democratic process. That means for Sanders to win he had to a win much higher than 50 percent of the remaining delegates. Next you have the major media outlets counting the super delegates (even though they can change their mind and should not be counted for sure until the convention) to continually say from an very early time that Sanders could not win. Obviously, constant barrage of this from CNN and MSNBC likely negatively affected turn-out. And then the DNC is trying to figure out to beat Sanders as well. MSNBC was very pro-Hillary and calculating that he had little chance of winning. How could Sanders overcome all that--major media outlets for Democrats against him, DNC against him, the super delegate process designed to stop him, and the incessant calculation by media "experts" that he could not win.
Emissary

Post 25 Jul 2016, 1:38 pm

How much of that is stuff we didn't already know ?
Emissary

Post 25 Jul 2016, 4:02 pm

If the Berndog walks out on that stage and gives his support to the criminal he will have lost his soul. And no argument anyone can muster about needing to save planet earth from the evil snares of Trump can justify selling out.
Ambassador

Post 25 Jul 2016, 4:36 pm

freeman3 wrote:I was a Sanders' supporter, I don't particularly care for Hillary (or Bill at this point), and I don't like the status quo that Hillary represents. But electing Trump would be throwing gasoline on a fire with regard to the divisions in this country, particularly racial divisions. Stopping Trump is the main thing right now; our country is still a prosperous country with violence rates dropping. I just don't want to see what damage Trump can do to the country. With Hillary you know things won't change that much, good or bad. With Trump I am not sure where the bottom is.

Yes, I agree that Trump is too much of a risk and Hillary is the only reasonable choice right now. Unfortunately, I think there is a good chance that Trump will in. This is a change election and she is the anti-change candidate. Throw in more political instability as a result of violent Islamic extremism and no significant change in economic results and you see why there's a good chance the Donald will win.
Adjutant

Post 25 Jul 2016, 5:00 pm

I think there is a good chance you're right, RJ. Hillary's VP pick was totally lame, the leaked emails from the DNC are making getting those young Sanders voters out to vote for Hillary even more difficult. It's not looking good.
Adjutant

Post 25 Jul 2016, 5:37 pm

Sass, the released emails appear to show a bias in favor of Clinton. That was perceived by Ssnder's supporters but now there is something in writing.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/damaging ... d=40852448