Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 26 Jan 2016, 3:28 am

So, Sarah Palin's son Track had another violent episode.

And Ma Grizzly revealed that her boy has PTSD (funny, wasn't mentioned before). Apparently that is caused by his military service - not that he saw any combat, perhaps he was severely hazed or worse.

And so, using some form of "logic" that becomes Obama's fault.

Now, several things.

1) whether or not Track Palin has PTSD, it is no excuse whatsoever for domestic violence. To use it as such is also disgusting as PTSD does not make most of its sufferers more violent (and as I doubt that he really has been diagnosed, it would be even worse to lie about it to stigmatise the condition as well as give a "pass" for violence).

2) Track was in Iraq, sure, but Obama did not send him there. His tour started in late 2008 when GW Bush was President.

3) Obama has not done anything like as much as the Congressional Republicans have to block more assistance to veterans and their families:

http://usuncut.com/politics/happy-veter ... -veterans/

1. Veterans Affairs Funding Bill (2015)
The House Appropriations Subcommittee, met with VA Secretary Bob McDonald to remove more than $1.4 billion in veteran services from President Obama’s proposed 2016 budget. Included in those cuts was more than $690 million earmarked for direct VA medical care and $582 million in VA construction projects. As a result of the cuts, it was estimated that 70,000 fewer veterans would be able to receive needed care.

3. Veterans Health and Benefits and Military Retirement Pay Restoration Act (2014)

This bill, proposed by Senator Bernie Sanders, was a piece of sweeping legislation that would have expanded healthcare and education for veterans. After clearing a procedural vote by a 99-0 margin, the bill was hijacked by Mitch McConnell and Senate Republicans who attached an amendment to the bill which would have levied sanctions on Iran.

While arguing over the proposed amendments, other Republicans took to the floor to raise concerns over the cost of the bill, and it was ultimately defeated with 41 of 45 Senate Republicans voting against the bill.
Adjutant

Post 26 Jan 2016, 9:49 am

I checked out this website. It seems to be a blame-the-republicans sort of site. Because they're not the only ones pissing off veterans.
Administrator

Post 26 Jan 2016, 11:03 am

As a veteran (20 years!), here is my two cents worth...

1.) Young Master Palin has no right EVER to hit another person unless it was self defense. That does not appear to be the case. Send him to prison for assault, regardless of circumstance.
2.) This is not Obama's fault
3.) More evidence of both sides playing politics. Lets make each bill stand on it's own merits and quit using rider and "Omnibus" legislation. The simpler the better...

This is Mrs. Palin showing her bias.
Adjutant

Post 26 Jan 2016, 11:14 am

The Md constitution does have a clause preventing omnibus bullshit like that. Thank God for that little.
Ambassador

Post 26 Jan 2016, 11:52 am

JimHackerMP wrote:I checked out this website. It seems to be a blame-the-republicans sort of site. Because they're not the only ones pissing off veterans.

I was responding to Palin's blaming of Obama. If you can find what it is that he has done that compares to cutting care for about 70,000 vets then please present it.
Adjutant

Post 26 Jan 2016, 11:55 am

I think there's been plenty of it about on redscape.
Ambassador

Post 26 Jan 2016, 11:56 am

bbauska wrote:3.) More evidence of both sides playing politics. Lets make each bill stand on it's own merits and quit using rider and "Omnibus" legislation. The simpler the better...
Where did the other side add a rider to the bill that was completely unrelated and controversial? The Republicans did, and then voted against it anyway.

This is Mrs. Palin showing her bias.
More than that, it is her doing what conservatives are supposed to abhor - blaming the government for the behaviour of an individual. Making excuses for bad behaviour. She has found a nice bedfellow in Trump.

But what really irks is the stigmatisation of PTSD.
Ambassador

Post 26 Jan 2016, 11:57 am

JimHackerMP wrote:I think there's been plenty of it about on redscape.

Huh?
Administrator

Post 26 Jan 2016, 12:46 pm

danivon wrote:
bbauska wrote:3.) More evidence of both sides playing politics. Lets make each bill stand on it's own merits and quit using rider and "Omnibus" legislation. The simpler the better...
Where did the other side add a rider to the bill that was completely unrelated and controversial? The Republicans did, and then voted against it anyway.

[url]
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pow ... ?tid=a_inl[/url]

We can dicker about what you think is controversial, but there are plenty of items by both sides that are not budget related.

Sledding on Capitol Hill? How is that budget related?
Ambassador

Post 26 Jan 2016, 1:01 pm

I was talking about this particular bill, which is why I used the words "the bill" rather than "a Bill".

I was confining my question to the bill that affected spending on veterans, and my comments were about the bills tat relate. This is why I did not understand why you would say it was an example of "both sides" doing the rider thing, unless you knew of a Democrat rider to the bill that was a spoiler.

I agree that the way that Congress writes bills and allows them to be hijacked by amendments on any old rubbish is bad.

However, the point was that it seems that the GOP in Congress has used this tactic to kill off a Bill to improve services to veterans, and there are other examples. But Palin blames Obama.

So, what has Obama done that is worse for veterans?
Emissary

Post 26 Jan 2016, 2:19 pm

Must say I find it hard to care about this. Well known halfwit Sarah Palin says something controversial and a little stupid ? Big deal. She's probably been saying stupid things on a weekly basis, it's just that people have only started paying attention again after she endorsed Trump.
Adjutant

Post 26 Jan 2016, 2:30 pm

agreed.

And yes, Obama has screwed people, and veterans, over plenty. My family knows this all too well. But true, that he's not the only one. I just think you're being a bit one-sided about this (not you S., I mean Danivon).
Ambassador

Post 26 Jan 2016, 3:02 pm

JimHackerMP wrote:agreed.

And yes, Obama has screwed people, and veterans, over plenty. My family knows this all too well. But true, that he's not the only one. I just think you're being a bit one-sided about this (not you S., I mean Danivon).

So, for about the third time of asking, can you actually tell me what Obama did to veterans that is so bad? It just that it was bad and his fault?
Ambassador

Post 27 Jan 2016, 10:17 am

danivon wrote:
JimHackerMP wrote:agreed.

So, for about the third time of asking, can you actually tell me what Obama did to veterans that is so bad? It just that it was bad and his fault?

Sure. His treatment of Vets has been scandalous.

More than 250,000 appointments were completed at the Carl T. Hayden Veterans Affair Medical Center in Phoenix between September and February, and over 14,000 of those appointments, or 5.7 percent, faced delays of 31 days or longer. The Associated Press gathered waiting times from VA centers all over the country to determine the agency’s progress in reducing wait times after it plowed billions of dollars into reforms across the system.

The VA’s timeliness goal calls for patients to be seen in 30 days or sooner. Nationally, 2.8 percent of appointments were subject to longer delays, meaning Arizona’s biggest VA hospital fared worse than the national average.

The Cottonwood VA Clinic had the worst wait times in the state. More than 10 percent of the appointments scheduled at that clinic have been delayed 31 days or longer, the records show. A spokeswoman said the VA is adding additional providers, including a physician, nurse and licensed practical nurse, to the Cottonwood Clinic to address long wait times. The VA is in the process of recruiting and expects to have the new staff in place in the Fall.

It’s not possible to compare the numbers to previous months because the VA changed the way it calculates the data.

The VA overhauled its Phoenix operation after reports of falsified waiting lists surfaced there last year, bringing national attention to the issue. Two administrators remain on paid leave, while former director Sharon Helman lost her job. Helman’s lawyer said her client had been “scapegoated to appease Congress,” and an administrative judge determined on an appeal that the VA didn’t have grounds to fire her over wait times or falsified records. However, he found her at fault for accepting gifts from a health care group.

In a fact sheet released last month to coincide with President Barack Obama’s visit to the Phoenix VA, officials said they had made great progress in Arizona, hiring hundreds of new employees and accelerating care for thousands of veterans who were identified as being on the secret wait list last year. The government has also created a new “Choice” program that allows vets to use outside physicians when they live too far or have had to wait too long for a VA center to see them.

“While more work remains, VA has expanded access to care for Veterans in Phoenix and across the country, both in VA facilities and in their communities since May 2014,” officials wrote.

But some critics say there haven’t been enough changes in Phoenix to create better care. Sam Foote, the now-retired doctor who revealed the problems in Phoenix, says things won’t really change until all employees associated with last year’s scandal are gone.

“They keep saying they’ve hired more people, but you always have to ask, ‘What is the net gain? What is the net change?’” he said.

He put a guy in charge to "fix" the problems. Very little has changed. We don't see the President getting personally involved. Why not?

Sec. McDonald is a joke. He went on Fox and gave out his cell number for Vets having trouble. What happened?

Department of Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert McDonald has a policy of handing out his cell phone number if veterans need to get a hold of him. Here’s what happened when Fox and Friends decided to test that claim.

When hosts on the Fox News show called McDonald’s number live on the air Thursday, they found his voicemail box was completely full.

“The mailbox belonging to Bob McDonald is full at this time,” the message stated during co-host Steve Doocy’s call. “Please try again later.”

Are whistle-blowers heeded? No, they are, at best, ignored.

(CNN)The Department of Veterans Affairs has not listened to whistleblowers or protected them, and it also has not punished employees who tried to stop or interfere with whistleblowers, according to a letter the U.S. Office of Special Counsel sent to the White House and Congress on Thursday.

The new findings substantiate some allegations by whistleblowers highlighted in a CNN investigation in 2014 and numerous stories examining delays in care and preventable deaths of veterans.

The OSC letter backs up allegations by whistleblowers who raised alarms about dangers and harmful incidents happening to U.S. veterans in various VA facilities. And the letter says VA officials did not protect those who came forward and even tried to harm them.

In a statement to CNN in response to the OSC letter, the VA said it is "committed to creating a work environment in which all employees -- from front-line staff through lower-level supervisors to senior managers and top VA officials -- feel safe sharing what they know, whether good news or bad, for the benefit of Veterans, without fear of reprisal."

One of the whistleblowers whose case was examined and substantiated by the OSC was Dr. Katherine Mitchell, a VA doctor who made public numerous problems at the Carl T. Hayden VA Medical Center in Phoenix.

Mitchell, who was featured in CNN's investigation, had raised alarms about dangerous delays in veterans' care, partly due to the lack of trained triage nurses in the Phoenix VA emergency room. But VA officials failed to act on Mitchell's disclosures for five years and also took no disciplinary action against responsible officials in Phoenix, the OSC found.

VA deaths covered up to make statistics look better, whistle-blower says

"The failure to take appropriate discipline, when presented with clear evidence of misconduct, can undermine accountability, impede progress, and discourage whistleblowers from coming forward," Special Counsel Carolyn Lerner said in the OSC letter.

According to the OSC, the VA confirmed that the Phoenix VAMC had no nurses in its Emergency Department comprehensively trained in medical triage, as Mitchell had pointed out. Yet Phoenix VAMC nursing supervisors required untrained nurses to triage patients, leading to at least 110 cases where patients experienced dangerous delays in care.

Mitchell settled her whistleblower case with the VA, but she is still speaking out about alarming situations that she says continue to exist inside the VA.

"There's no way I'd recommend anyone, any professional join the VA right now," she said in a recent interview. "Because (VA Secretary Robert) McDonald has not made any substantial progress in holding people that do whistleblower retaliation accountable."

VA whistleblower says investigation has been a 'whitewash'

The OSC substantiated dangerous situations in several other VA offices, including those disclosed by a worker at the Vet Center in Federal Way, Washington, and also situations in Maryland, in Montgomery, Alabama, and in Beckley, West Virginia. The OSC found that little to nothing was done by officials in most of these instances.

"The lack of accountability in these cases stands in stark contrast to disciplinary actions taken against VA whistleblowers," Lerner said in the letter.

Democrats fight against vouchers. Democrats fight against dismantling the unions that protect non-effective VA employees.

Obama has failed our veterans. Period.
Ambassador

Post 27 Jan 2016, 10:18 am

That said, Palin is two slices of bread short of a sandwich.