Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 22 Jan 2016, 4:41 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/la-loche-community-school-lock-down-jan22-1.3416143

Is this school part of Canada or Indiginous regions? Do the gun laws in Canada have jurisdiction over the shooting locale?
Ambassador

Post 23 Jan 2016, 7:33 am

Saskatchewan is a Province of Canada. Yukon, North West and Nunavut are "territories". La Loche is a "village", and not designated a native reserve. Most people there are "Métis" - a mixture of native and European.

So I expect normal Canadian and Saskatchewan laws apply and are enforced as well as in any remote small town.

One thing I saw is that the border police for the province are reporting increased captures of illegal guns coming in from the south. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.3415865
Administrator

Post 23 Jan 2016, 8:46 am

Are you saying illegal weapons are the problem? Why does that sound familiar? It certainly could not be the bad acts of evil people.
Statesman

Post 23 Jan 2016, 9:30 am

Bbauska
Is this school part of Canada or Indiginous regions? Do the gun laws in Canada have jurisdiction over the shooting locale

La Loche is not on reserve land. Its a fairly remote village of about 4,000 if you include the whole area. Its about a 4 hour drive north of Saskatoon. It was originally a fur trading centre.
About half of its residents are Metis, and considered indigenous. (Metis are descendants of children of mixed European and indigenous race) A quarter are First Nations.
He apparently used a hunting shot gun. First to kill his 2 younger brothers at home, then to kill a teacher and another student at the school . And he also wounded several, 2 who are critical.
In the area weapons for hunting would be common.
There is still not much official coming out about motives or other specifics. The shooter was arrested by the RCMP and is in custody. . Its the fifth school shooting in Canada since 1988....
Ambassador

Post 23 Jan 2016, 11:09 am

bbauska wrote:Are you saying illegal weapons are the problem? Why does that sound familiar? It certainly could not be the bad acts of evil people.

As ever, Brad, I am saying what I am saying. Whatever spin you want to put on it comes from your own head.

Obtaining weapons illegally is a bad act, surely? I have no idea whether the weapons used in this case were legally owned or not. But your line has another way of putting it:

"Are you saying that gun control is the problem? It certainly could not be the bad acts of evil people."

Without knowing what happened - there were victims at a domestic address as well, and suggestions that the shooter was related to victims, it is not easy to extrapolate anything.

Thankfully such events are rare in Canada. This is the worst school shooting since 1989. 27 years ago. Had it been in the USA it would have been the worst since October last.
Administrator

Post 23 Jan 2016, 12:44 pm

You mentioned "illegal guns" coming from the South.
Ambassador

Post 23 Jan 2016, 12:50 pm

bbauska wrote:You mentioned "illegal guns" coming from the South.

You mentioned gun laws.

Your point?
Administrator

Post 23 Jan 2016, 2:05 pm

danivon wrote:

You mentioned gun laws.

Your point?

I'm sorry, I didn't know if the "great Canadian gun control laws" (sarcasm meant here, but not earlier) were in effect on the the aboriginal village. Just asking the resident Canadian because I didn't know.

Nice to hear from you, however...
Ambassador

Post 23 Jan 2016, 2:29 pm

bbauska wrote:
danivon wrote:

You mentioned gun laws.

Your point?

I'm sorry, I didn't know if the "great Canadian gun control laws" (sarcasm meant here, but not earlier) were in effect on the the aboriginal village. Just asking the resident Canadian because I didn't know.
If what ricky reports is the case, then chances are the gun was legal. Because hunting rifles are legal in Canada, as long as they are properly licensed.

And such laws can't completely prevent shootings. What we see, however, is a much lower prevalence of murders, and of mass shootings, in Western Countries with stronger and more consistently applied laws.

The thing is, some would have it that gun control always means (or leads to) a total ban. This page shows how onerous the gun laws of Canada are in reality. http://www.howtogetagun.ca/

Nice to hear from you, however...
And you.