Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 04 Nov 2016, 1:04 pm

It's not a bad idea to see what both sides have to say and Brietbart is very conservative, but let's not pretend these other options are anywhere near neutral either. You want to ignore the right wing bias ...that's fine! But do not assume those listed here are not left wing biased either.

Yahoo News or the Wall Street Journal, those are the closets example sof neutral America has (and even they lean slightly left, but very slight)
Adjutant

Post 04 Nov 2016, 1:26 pm

You have to be looking out from Breitbart tower to see the Wall Street Journal as leaning left, however slight...
Administrator

Post 04 Nov 2016, 2:05 pm

And hopefully, when he is impeached as President, We would have Pence. Quite a step up.
Ambassador

Post 04 Nov 2016, 2:14 pm

freeman3 wrote:Maybe it's obvious but you put RJ when I think you meant to refer to Rickyp...

No, I meant RJ. He voted for Hillary because "she's not Trump."

As for the rest, I don't think it furthers the discussion by seeking to control what other posters should post. Other posters can feel to criticize. Why would anyone defend Trump by the way? Expecting Trump to be a good president is like giving a chimpanzee a typewriter and expecting Shakespeare to come out.

Expecting Hillary to be less than a thief and a liar is like combining Baghdad Bob and a kleptomaniac and expecting Tim Tebow to come out.

Hillary certainly has her faults but they are way overblown. She's a smart, tough lawyer with a lot of experience.

With almost no accomplishments.

She rails about how long she's been "fighting for women and children." However, if you look back 30 years and say has the lot of women and children substantially improved because of anything Hillary has done, the answer would be "Nyet."

She will listen to expert people around her. I think it is reasonable to expect that she will not make any huge mistakes as president.

Right. Nothing like making Libya a failed state or trying a gimmick "reset button" with Russia, or cutting a lame nuke deal with North Korea (her husband did that)?

But Trump...come on. He's a joke and he will make us look like a joke.

It's possible.

It's also possible she will fulfill my prediction and turn us into the world's biggest banana republic. She is shameless. She and Bill "earned" hundreds of millions by trading political favors for cash.

That should be rewarded?

There is a reason Russia is trying so hard to intervene in our presidential election (which by the way I think is a hostile act that should be responded to in some fashion) to get Trump elected.

That is a personal thing with Putin. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/09/world ... tests.html
Ambassador

Post 04 Nov 2016, 2:15 pm

bbauska wrote:And hopefully, when he is impeached as President, We would have Pence. Quite a step up.

I'd vote for impeachment--of either major candidate.
Ambassador

Post 04 Nov 2016, 2:16 pm

rickyp wrote:The only presidential candidate who'll be standing trial soon will be Trump, as he answers for the fraud charges against Trump University.

Is that a criminal trial?
Ambassador

Post 04 Nov 2016, 7:36 pm

I haven't voted yet ... I'll prob. vote for Johnson ... but yes, I would prefer a probable criminal (HRC) to a probable criminal who has no impulse control, is so insecure that he is threatened by any slight, and wants to start a trade war.
Ambassador

Post 05 Nov 2016, 5:40 am

Ray Jay wrote:

I haven't voted yet ... I'll prob. vote for Johnson ...

Apologies then.

. . . but yes, I would prefer a probable criminal (HRC) to a probable criminal who has no impulse control, is so insecure that he is threatened by any slight, and wants to start a trade war.

What I cannot abide is someone (like my cousin) who actually believes Hillary has done nothing wrong. That makes me sick.

The simplest test: who would you want to have a beer with?

I wouldn't show up for Trump or Clinton. Anyone who expresses enthusiasm for either is suspicious in my book. Those are not people you want as neighbors, friends, or babysitters. They are not "nice" people. They are not "decent" people. They are not "trustworthy" people.

These are sad days for the republic.
Statesman

Post 05 Nov 2016, 9:32 am

fate
What I cannot abide is someone (like my cousin) who actually believes Hillary has done nothing wrong

The poor dude. He must actually rely on stuff like evidence and facts to make his decisions.
Get him a subscription to your alt right publications and maybe a diet of innuedo, lies and fantasies will change him to your world view.
Ambassador

Post 05 Nov 2016, 10:25 am

rickyp wrote:fate
What I cannot abide is someone (like my cousin) who actually believes Hillary has done nothing wrong

The poor dude. He must actually rely on stuff like evidence and facts to make his decisions.
Get him a subscription to your alt right publications and maybe a diet of innuedo, lies and fantasies will change him to your world view.

You're contemptible.

I'm not alt-right. Post anything at all that shows I am.

As for "facts," my dear cousin accused Trump of sexual assault. When I pointed out that the same "innocent until proven guilty" standard he uses like a hammer for Hillary applies to Trump, he pointed to the video.

That is not "proof" of sexual assault. It's proof he's got bad character, but no one is named and no specific instance is outlined. There are allegations, but no proof.

All of that said, I've never championed or supported Trump. I don't fall into the "at least he's not as bad as Clinton" line. I may believe that, but he's still sub-zero on my scale. He won't get my vote so shut up.
Statesman

Post 06 Nov 2016, 2:06 pm

tom
It's not a bad idea to see what both sides have to say and Brietbart is very conservative, but let's not pretend these other options are anywhere near neutral either. You want to ignore the right wing bias ...that's fine! But do not assume those listed here are not left wing biased either.

The problem, in a nutshell, is that hyper partisan media have cemented themselves and there no longer exists objective truth in media in the USA.

From an interesting article on the phenomenon.
But this style did not start with Trump, of course. It’s the result of a steady devolution of American public discourse that has been most prevalent on the political right. The American right has shown itself to be less wedded to facts and precision in its political speech for at least two decades. Two separate analyses of the three major cable news networks—CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News—found that Fox, the channel most conservatives watch, was by far the least truthful of the three. Multiple studies have found that people who get their news only from Fox know less about the world than people who watch no news at all. Trump’s make-it-up-as-he-goes speaking style was made possible, in fact, by a conservative media strategy that enjoins followers to reject the untrustworthy liberal media, while feeding those followers a steady diet of falsehoods and half-truths. With the rise of Trump, some Republicans are beginning to rue the strategy.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... truth.html

In June, the conservative radio host Charlie Sykes stated that the right’s twenty-year assault on the mainstream media had in fact fueled Trump’s rise, opening the door to his ability to lie so frequently without losing support. Lamenting how difficult it had become to refute the outlandish assertions of some of his own listeners, Sykes said: "At a certain point you wake up and you realize you have destroyed the credibility of any credible outlet out there. And I am feeling that, to a certain extent, that we are reaping the whirlwind of that. I have to look in the mirror and ask myself, ‘To what extent did I contribute?’”
Adjutant

Post 07 Nov 2016, 10:18 pm

By the way, came from across this interview of Thomas Pikkety about income inequality which I think is interesting, whether you are from the left or right.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbsnews. ... ent=safari
Emissary

Post 17 Jan 2017, 11:28 pm

Watching Sean Hannity's show just now. He made an interesting comment that i find myself agreeing with.

Mr. Hannity shared his advice for the new President:

Do not trust the establishment Republicans. Do not trust the establishment Democrats. Do not trust the establishment media.

I don't think I could possibly agree more.

I am so disappointed in the disgraceful reality of the modern day press that I now longer believe anything anyone says.

I doubt everyone. I doubt every new agency. I trust no one and that applies to the far left and far right.

There is no middle ground when it comes to reporting. All of the media outlets are extreme.

I believe that sadly true journalism is dead in America. These poor kids who get these degrees thinking they are going to be relevant reporters are fooling themselves. It's sad really.

I wonder if Trump is truly a reformer in the truest sense of the word.
Statesman

Post 18 Jan 2017, 8:13 am

dag
I doubt everyone.

Except Sean Hannity?

dag
I don't think I could possibly agree more

Hannity is among the worst of the bunch. In his world there is no objective truth
Don't take advice from him. If you find yourself agreeing with him, its time to question your reasoning.

There is objective truth. And as a reaction to Trump, most of the media will attempt to approach their roles differently in order to improve their performance in providing objective truth. Within the limits of their various media.
Administrator

Post 18 Jan 2017, 8:35 am

RickyP, you are being snarky with the Hannity comment. Do you think the advice is correct on it's face value; regardless of who said it?

Do not trust the establishment Republicans. Do not trust the establishment Democrats. Do not trust the establishment media.

I agree with that comment. I don't like Hannity, but I like that.