Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 27 Apr 2011, 12:22 pm

danivon wrote:
The White House

Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release

Looks like a Press Release to me.

This was not a "press release" for Easter Sunday. April 19 was not Easter. Look it up. Let me make it simple for you--so simple that you can grasp it. Check this out.

March 20, 2009

VIDEOTAPED REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENT

IN CELEBRATION OF NOWRUZ

THE PRESIDENT: Today I want to extend my very best wishes to all who are celebrating Nowruz around the world.

This holiday is both an ancient ritual and a moment of renewal, and I hope that you enjoy this special time of year with friends and family.

In particular, I would like to speak directly to the people and leaders of the Islamic Republic of Iran. Nowruz is just one part of your great and celebrated culture. Over many centuries your art, your music, literature and innovation have made the world a better and more beautiful place.

Nowruz was celebrated in Iran from March 20 to 23. The press release was on March 20. So, on the day Nowruz began, a press release was issued. No press release was made on Easter.

Now, as to your alleged only focus, the pastor, I'm not at all surprised that a pastor in the USA might mention race and racism.

On Easter?

You complain (erroneously) that what you want to say is being censored. But what is it when you try and proscribe what a pastor says in his own church?

I have complained (accurately) that I am being misrepresented. My concern was not so much with the Easter thing, which I wish I'd not mentioned since it seems to have sent you and MX into a tizzy. The actual issue is whether a man who represents himself as post-partisan and post-racial ought to be a bit more careful about where he goes to church.

All non-liberal pastors are restricted from talking politics. That's a given as a tax-exempt organization.
Ambassador

Post 27 Apr 2011, 12:34 pm

He had a state breakfast to mark the Holy Week, which includes Easter. He went to church on the day with his family, and didn't do much in the way of politics. Fair play to the man, I wish you could have taken a day off as well.
Ambassador

Post 27 Apr 2011, 12:37 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:All non-liberal pastors are restricted from talking politics. That's a given as a tax-exempt organization.
Umm, I doubt that's true. I suspect that there may be a restriction on using tax-exempt status in order to run political campaigns, but religious people are allowed to (and do) make political statements all the time. Regardless of their political stance.

After all, you are a pastor, and I'd guess you consider yourself to be non-liberal. Are you trying to say you never talk politics, ever? Not one issue comes up in a sermon or teaching or discussion that has a political angle?
Ambassador

Post 27 Apr 2011, 12:47 pm

danivon wrote:
Doctor Fate wrote:All non-liberal pastors are restricted from talking politics. That's a given as a tax-exempt organization.
Umm, I doubt that's true. I suspect that there may be a restriction on using tax-exempt status in order to run political campaigns, but religious people are allowed to (and do) make political statements all the time. Regardless of their political stance.

Not on the mark. It is using the pulpit for political purposes that will get you a whipping from the IRS--unless you are holding a Democratic political rally. Clinton was the best at this.

After all, you are a pastor, and I'd guess you consider yourself to be non-liberal. Are you trying to say you never talk politics, ever? Not one issue comes up in a sermon or teaching or discussion that has a political angle?

No. Never.
Dignitary

Post 27 Apr 2011, 12:50 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:The actual issue is whether a man who represents himself as post-partisan and post-racial ought to be a bit more careful about where he goes to church.

I would take white people to services at a huge black church on Detroit's east side just for the experience. It was always a thoroughly joyful, loud, raucous, musical, and very community-oriented event, and what an event it was. Every seat filled with people dressed to the nines, spilling out of the sanctuary. Was it theologically pure? Probably not. Might the lack of decorum offended some people? Probably. The sermon? Well, let's say it spoke to many of the congregation.

But if that's how you learned how to worship, I doubt you can't go back to some staid Presbyterian or old timey Episcopalian, formal, pipe organ affair. Or at least it's a lot harder to find the joy there. The President's a black man who goes to a black church (I guess from your description, I don't know). That makes perfect sense to me.
Ambassador

Post 27 Apr 2011, 12:55 pm

danivon wrote:

Here's an indication of the weight of this and how some pastors have responded. (wrongly, I think):

On Sunday, a group of 100 preachers nationwide will step into the pulpit and say the only words they're forbidden by law from speaking in a church.

They plan to use the pulpit as a platform for political endorsements, flouting a federal law that threatens churches with the loss of their nonprofit status if they stray too far into partisan politics.

While other church and nonprofit leaders cringe at the deliberate mix of the secular and the religious, participants in the annual Pulpit Freedom Sunday protest hope this act of deliberate lawbreaking will lead to a change in the law.

"For governor, I'm going to encourage people to vote for Bill Haslam," said David Shelley, pastor of Smith Springs Baptist Church here, one of seven Tennessee religious leaders who plan to take part in the pulpit protest. He also will throw his support behind a Republican congressional candidate and a Republican statehouse candidate and urge his congregation to skip the spot on the ballot where a Democratic state senator is running unopposed.

"My support for these candidates has nothing to do with their party or their skin color or any other nonbiblically related issue," he said.

Shelley knows he runs the risk of provoking the Internal Revenue Service into revoking his 60-member church's tax-exempt status. In fact, he's hoping the IRS will try. But this is the second year he's baited the IRS from the pulpit, and still the agency has not risen to the bait.

"We're not trying to get politics in the pulpit. We're trying to get (government) out of the pulpit," said Erik Stanley, spokesman for the Alliance Defense Fund, an Arizona-based nonprofit that maintains linking a church's nonprofit status to its nonpartisanship is an unconstitutional restriction on the free speech of the clergy.

"This is about a pastor's right of free speech," Stanley said.

Participants in the defense fund's pulpit protest send audio or videotape of their sermons to the IRS, but so far the agency has ignored them. The agency declined to comment on the issue, other than to share a copy of its regulations for tax-exempt religious organizations.

For the past 60 years, the IRS code has drawn a line. Places of worship can hold forums on political issues, or distribute voter guides or mobilize voter registration drives. But they cannot endorse candidates or engage in partisan political activities.

First AME Church in LA is well-known as a political hotbed. You can look up the individual rallies yourself:

Hunter was appointed in 2004 to the storied church, historically the city's epicenter of African American political and social activism. With 19,000 registered members and a $25-million budget encompassing more than a dozen corporations, the church has been a de rigueur stop for Democratic political candidates over the years, including Bill Clinton, Al Gore and President-elect Barack Obama.
Ambassador

Post 27 Apr 2011, 1:00 pm

geojanes wrote:The President's a black man who goes to a black church (I guess from your description, I don't know). That makes perfect sense to me.

Fine here. But, can't he find one that doesn't preach racial hatred?
Dignitary

Post 27 Apr 2011, 1:18 pm

"[Pastor Smith] talked about how his baby grandson's gurgling is actually "talking" because he is saying 'I am here ... they tried to write me off as 3/5 a person in the Constitution, but I am here right now ... and is saying I am not going to let anybody from stopping me from being what God wants me to be.'"

That is not racial hatred.
Ambassador

Post 27 Apr 2011, 1:22 pm

Steve, there's one thing that you aren't allowed to explicitly endorse a candidate (do you have a link as to whether the earstwhile right wing pastor needed his defence fund yet?), and another to not be allowed to mention anything political, or have politicians come visit.

I still doubt that there are not issues that come up in church that have a political aspect as well as a religious or community one. Indeed, I'd be shocked if a church had nothing whatsoever to say about things going on outside its doors. A little irrelevant, perhaps? Nothing wrong with that.

But churches are not forced to be registered as non-profit, and so are not forced to abstain from overt political activity like urging people to vote for one person or party.

You are playing the victim card again.
Ambassador

Post 27 Apr 2011, 1:24 pm

geojanes wrote:
"[Pastor Smith] talked about how his baby grandson's gurgling is actually "talking" because he is saying 'I am here ... they tried to write me off as 3/5 a person in the Constitution, but I am here right now ... and is saying I am not going to let anybody from stopping me from being what God wants me to be.'"

These whiteys can be ever so sensitive, huh? Always shouting 'racism' at everything, trying to stop people speaking their minds. It's political correctness gone mad, I tells ya!
Ambassador

Post 27 Apr 2011, 1:35 pm

geojanes wrote:

It ain't racial love.

“Racism is how this country was founded and how this country is still run!… We [Americans] believe in white supremacy and black inferiority and believe it more than we believe in God.”

“Anytime you can have the kind of hate-mongering that continues in the hallowed halls of talk radio it show that Barack’s presidency has not solved the problem,” Smith said in 2010.

“Now Jim Crow wears blue pin stripes … and he doesn’t have to wear white robes anymore, because now he can wear the protective cover of talk radio, or can get a regular news program on Fox. He doesn’t have to wear his white garments anymore.”

He continued: “Even such venerable saints as Rush Limbaugh know the lines they are not to cross. But any of their constituency can hear clear the same vile filth spewing forth in their statements that was once the purview of Robert Shelton and members of the Ku Klux Klan and the White Citizen’s Council.”
Administrator

Post 27 Apr 2011, 1:36 pm

Dan is making me laugh.

The sermon (what was linked to here anyways) was in no way spewing of racial hatred, it was certainly not a "conservative" as you would hear in my wife's Lutheran church. But was it hatred? Can I honestly blame a preacher from getting maybe a tiny bit political when he has the President in the pews?
Did this minister stray from the core Easter message? Most certainly.
Was it hatred? Certainly not

Was it uncalled for? Steve thinks so, he is entitled to that. Most of the rest of us think not, we are entitled to that. But to call Obama's faith into this is simply flat out wrong, not from this lone very minor incident. Nowwwwww, if Steve can find several more such sermons, he can go with that, but this lone "incident" too much is being made of this.
Ambassador

Post 27 Apr 2011, 1:38 pm

danivon wrote:I still doubt that there are not issues that come up in church that have a political aspect as well as a religious or community one. Indeed, I'd be shocked if a church had nothing whatsoever to say about things going on outside its doors. A little irrelevant, perhaps? Nothing wrong with that.

I've never been part of a church that has been political in any way. I know we have dyed in the wool Democrats in the pews. Politics is not in the Great Commission.

But churches are not forced to be registered as non-profit, and so are not forced to abstain from overt political activity like urging people to vote for one person or party.

You are playing the victim card again.

Not at all. I would not want to be part of a church that had a political edge. I doubt you'll find many who waive their tax-exempt status voluntarily.
Last edited by Doctor Fate on 27 Apr 2011, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador

Post 27 Apr 2011, 1:39 pm

GMTom wrote: Nowwwwww, if Steve can find several more such sermons, he can go with that, but this lone "incident" too much is being made of this.

Got 2 more above and I guarantee plenty will be unearthed.
Dignitary

Post 27 Apr 2011, 1:50 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:
geojanes wrote:

It ain't racial love.

I should let this go, but, Steve, this is a good message. It tells people, yes, you were enslaved, but you aren't now, there is nothing holding you back, achieve, rise-up and be all you can be, indeed, be all that God wants you to be. I'm not a religious person, but I recognize the power that religion has to help people to change and transform their lives for the better, and this is exactly the type of message the congregations of black churches need to hear. I'm sorry if it offends you, but it shouldn't.