Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 09 May 2016, 12:14 pm

Sassenach wrote:
1st sentence - Dumber is a comparative between 3 or more items. Should be "more dumb".

Dumber and more dumb have exactly the same meaning and can be applied interchangeably. If you're going to be a pedant then you could at least try to be an accurate one.
And "dumber" has the twin advantages of brevity and better scansion in most prose.

Ricky - it was Dag who was swallowing the Romanian hacker/conspiracy freak line, not Fate.
Administrator

Post 09 May 2016, 12:20 pm

Hey, this is a Diplomacy site.
RUM is the abbreviation for Romania, can we give him a pass on that one? Rumanian just "seems" to fit on a Dip site doesn't it? (though, using firefox, it does show as being mis-spelled!)
Ambassador

Post 09 May 2016, 12:49 pm

GMTom wrote:Hey, this is a Diplomacy site.
RUM is the abbreviation for Romania, can we give him a pass on that one? Rumanian just "seems" to fit on a Dip site doesn't it? (though, using firefox, it does show as being mis-spelled!)

Well, yes, but that was largely to avoid confusion with Rome. It always used to be Rumania or Roumania in English until quite recently when we started to spell it the same as the locals.
Administrator

Post 09 May 2016, 1:12 pm

For someone who can be very pedantic with his facts, one would think that the correct spelling of words could be used by him.

I am not trying to denigrate. I truly wish to know how this is such an issue in the era of technology we have today.

Side note concerning the use of the word "dumber"; it became acceptable in 2001 to use dumber. I shall make a not of it myself.
Administrator

Post 09 May 2016, 1:16 pm

hahaha, I have no idea if that mistake was intentional or not!?
It would be SOOOOOO much funnier if it were an honest mistake! (Make a NOT of it)
Ambassador

Post 09 May 2016, 2:01 pm

rickyp wrote:Fate
And, again, when the details come out more fully the BEST spin is going to be that Hillary was too dumb to know what she was doing.

Well, whats dumber? beleiving a Rumanian lunatic's claims, despite any corroborating evidence,
or beleiving that a professionally conducted invetigation by a dozen (not 145) FBI agents ?

http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/justice ... s-private/

On the other hand, the offical State department email sstem WAS DEFNITELY hackd...
http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/10/politics/ ... orst-ever/

Here's what's funny: that CNN report was based on what?

"Unnamed sources"

It was not so long ago that you were railing against such practices.

Interesting.

The Rumanian is not a lunatic. He's an amateur hacker. Oh, and he has no political motivation to confess to a Federal felony, does he?

Keep throwing shade everywhere but on Hillary . . . that's the MO of a flack.
Ambassador

Post 09 May 2016, 2:16 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:The Rumanian is not a lunatic. He's an amateur hacker. Oh, and he has no political motivation to confess to a Federal felony, does he?
He thinks that he is exposing Powell and others as members of the Illuminati. He bragged about who he'd hacked and continues to.

Maybe he's not a lunatic, but he's hardly Mr Rational.

And ricky did not bring him up, Dag did, assuming that the extradition had something to do with Hillary, when it's far more likely it's about hacking Powell.
Ambassador

Post 09 May 2016, 2:30 pm

danivon wrote:And ricky did not bring him up, Dag did, assuming that the extradition had something to do with Hillary, when it's far more likely it's about hacking Powell.

ricky called him a lunatic.

Even if that's right, it does not discount the fact that he may have hacked Hillary's unsecured server--the one with more than 2000 classified messages on it.
Adjutant

Post 09 May 2016, 2:40 pm

Well, I am going to guess that Ricky is in his late 50s or in his 60s (judging by things he has written over the years) and probably grew up in a pre-computer age and never got that comfortable with the keyboard. So, he has a lot of typos. I am going to guess he did not/does not work in a field requiring a lot of writing (so he does not use the somewhat pedantic style Sass and I use), and he writes like people speak, in sentence fragments. Apostrophes don't exist in speech--we tend to have to think about them in writing--and so he doesn't much bother with those. I'm pretty sure he could clean up most if not all of the little mistakes he makes but then it would be like work, so why bother? We are all old dogs here and we ain't a-changing...
Ambassador

Post 09 May 2016, 2:42 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:Even if that's right, it does not discount the fact that he may have hacked Hillary's unsecured server--the one with more than 2000 classified messages on it.

He "may" have, but then again I don't buy his pronouncements without corroboration.

After all

"He was arrested and charged in 2011 after releasing swaths of private correspondence lifted from Romanian entertainers and footballers for no discernible purpose other than fame. He relished the media attention and cited amusement as his motive, walking away with a suspended jail sentence and a bruised ego."

"At one point he breaks into a rehearsed tantrum about Arianna Rockefeller, another victim of his hacking. “I have the secret journal of the Rockefellers – I’ve taken it from a member of the Illuminati and ran a metadata analysis to verify it’s genuine.” I suggest that sounds implausible. He continues: “G. W. Bush is a KKK member. In a picture I found and published (below) he’s wearing a white KKK hood. You can see it in the reflection in the window. Mainstream media totally suppressed that.” To me, the “KKK hood” in that picture looks more like a tablet computer Bush used to photograph one of his paintings."

"So why “Guccifer”? Lucifer is an angel who rebelled. The Gucci part is for numerology and style. “Split Guccifer into numbers and you’ll get 72, which is known as an absolute number of divinity. Google it.” It’s also a talisman: “They’d rather have me dead but I came out with this name to protect me. The services wanted to liquidate me.” He believes he’s been touched by genius. “China has whole buildings full of hundreds of employed hackers who haven’t achieved what I have. I’m guided by an external intelligence,” he says. "

Yeah, he sounds very believable...

https://pando.com/2015/03/20/exclusive- ... gardening/
Ambassador

Post 09 May 2016, 3:08 pm

danivon wrote:
Doctor Fate wrote:Even if that's right, it does not discount the fact that he may have hacked Hillary's unsecured server--the one with more than 2000 classified messages on it.

He "may" have, but then again I don't buy his pronouncements without corroboration.

After all

"He was arrested and charged in 2011 after releasing swaths of private correspondence lifted from Romanian entertainers and footballers for no discernible purpose other than fame. He relished the media attention and cited amusement as his motive, walking away with a suspended jail sentence and a bruised ego."

"At one point he breaks into a rehearsed tantrum about Arianna Rockefeller, another victim of his hacking. “I have the secret journal of the Rockefellers – I’ve taken it from a member of the Illuminati and ran a metadata analysis to verify it’s genuine.” I suggest that sounds implausible. He continues: “G. W. Bush is a KKK member. In a picture I found and published (below) he’s wearing a white KKK hood. You can see it in the reflection in the window. Mainstream media totally suppressed that.” To me, the “KKK hood” in that picture looks more like a tablet computer Bush used to photograph one of his paintings."

"So why “Guccifer”? Lucifer is an angel who rebelled. The Gucci part is for numerology and style. “Split Guccifer into numbers and you’ll get 72, which is known as an absolute number of divinity. Google it.” It’s also a talisman: “They’d rather have me dead but I came out with this name to protect me. The services wanted to liquidate me.” He believes he’s been touched by genius. “China has whole buildings full of hundreds of employed hackers who haven’t achieved what I have. I’m guided by an external intelligence,” he says. "

Yeah, he sounds very believable...

https://pando.com/2015/03/20/exclusive- ... gardening/

On the other hand, Hill's server had zero protection for the first couple of months . . .

Well, and she's lied a ton--about the server and other things.
Statesman

Post 09 May 2016, 3:17 pm

Fate

Just one more thing I'm right about.

Now, I'll grant you that even lunatics occassionally fall into something. Bu the fact they are certifiable should demand corroboration even more before the socalled journalists start typing their blogs. (Even with spell check they are worthless without fact check.)

Tom
C'mon, Hillary was foolish in having her own server and her reasons were laughable for wanting it. Can't he even admit that much?

If you'd read back some pages you would see that I said that having her own server was foolish.I also said that they the law that allowed he to have one was silly. And that a cyber security system that allowed it was useless.
SInce the State department and other government agencies have all been hacked, that wasn't their only claim to sub par performances.
But she didn't do anything criminal, and as the investigation winds up, she's apparently about to be vindicated...
And now those who get unbalanced about Clinton are relying on the word of a Romanian lunatic to maintain the foofarah.

bbauska
For someone who can be very pedantic with his facts, one would think that the correct spelling of words could be used by him.

The english language is a constantly evolving thing. So is spelling.
My auto spell check only works occassionally. I know not why.
My fact check works constantly. Its a manual system.
Ambassador

Post 09 May 2016, 5:07 pm

rickyp wrote:Fate

Just one more thing I'm right about.

Now, I'll grant you that even lunatics occassionally fall into something. Bu the fact they are certifiable should demand corroboration even more before the socalled journalists start typing their blogs. (Even with spell check they are worthless without fact check.)

We'll see. It's not like he doesn't have a record of hacking.
Administrator

Post 10 May 2016, 5:41 am

nothing criminal about hiding her tracks either I suppose? Just today it surfaces that the guy who set up the whole mess, all his emails (except a Happy Birthday wish) have vanished. He works in IT, he set up her computer, he worked with her for years, he did send a happy birthday email ...but that's it?
No, nothing fishy there huh?
Statesman

Post 10 May 2016, 6:12 am

tom
nothing criminal about hiding her tracks either I suppose? Just today it surfaces that the guy who set up the whole mess, all his emails (except a Happy Birthday wish) have vanished. He works in IT, he set up her computer, he worked with her for years, he did send a happy birthday email ...but that's it?
No, nothing fishy there huh?

Whats your source Tom? Was it the WSJ?
Because the source for the WSJ story was the RNC ...
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/05/0 ... er-staffer

It follows a pattern of specific leaks, with little information but lots of innuendo by the RNC and congresss GOP staffers to provide rather meaningless stories. Its been conceded by everyone that the State Department's cyber records system, and security were a mess.
The department acknowledges that we must work to improve our systems for records management and retention. As part of this ongoing effort, the Department is now automatically archiving Secretary Kerry’s emails as well as the emails of numerous senior staff,” said Ms. Trudeau
In fact they were recently hacked by the Russians. Which means, there's no evidence Clintons private servers were hacked, but the official ones were.Which do you think should be more concerning today? (hint, no one is allowed the use of private servers now)

Do you think this is actually important information adding anything to the story or is this...
CNN has previously reported that another former Clinton employee, Bryan Pagliano, who helped set up the server has provided documents and other materials as well as interviews to the FBI, under an immunity agreement. FBI officials overseeing the probe now expect to complete their work in the next few weeks and then turn over the findings to the Justice Department, which will make a final decision on whether to bring charges against anyone. Prosecutors from the Justice Department's national security division and from the U.S. Attorney's office in Alexandria, Va., have helped coordinate the FBI probe, closely overseeing investigative steps, the U.S. officials say.

The investigation is still ongoing, but so far investigators haven't found evidence to prove that Clinton willfully violated the law the U.S. officials say.

Source for this ? FBI .
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/05/politics/ ... index.html

Fate
We'll see. It's not like he doesn't have a record of hacking.

Yes. He got into Colin Powellls private email server... And he's doing the world a favor by selflessly battling the elusive Illumanati, who rule us all from the shadows.
How did he use Powells information?