Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Truck Series Driver (Pro II)

Post 03 May 2011, 10:15 pm

danivon wrote:Mind you, America does have a reputation for having very little interest in what happens beyond their borders.

You don't want the US interested in your country. We send drones, look at Mexico.
Statesman

Post 04 May 2011, 6:29 am

heck
I don't really think that either platform moved that much, but looking ahead I think that anything is possible, and there may well come to be an identifiable "Independent" group which will be, in part, made up of alienated blue Liberals and red Tories, rather than any organized party that occupies the middle. I'd definitely count myself among that group, just as I would if I were an American

This American idea of identified or registered "Independents" is really an out growth of their primary system of identifying candidates for Dems/Repubs.
In Canada we're all, except for card carrying members, really Independent voters...
Its just that there has been a historical "core vote". We exist within a political spectrum that generally only allows a person to comfortably scoot left or right on the political spectrum and not move two or three positions... Its not likely that someone who usually votes NDP is going to move to Conservative...(You didn't see old Social Credit move to NDP.)
If the NDP/ Libs merge we get a two sided confrontation that doesn't allow for much choice. But, in order to attract voters, parties will probably move agendas and policies towards the middle of the spectrum. Consider that 50% of the votes Monday were Lib or NDP. 40% were Con. It may be that the Cons think they can hive off part of the 20% who voted Liberal, but I think they got all they are likely to unless they change policies and the next 4 years won't see that happen...
If you agree that Green would find Con a difficult choice as an alternative that leves the 6% Bloc voters for the Tories to chase and thats still leaving them short. (And that means elections would again be settled in Quebec?)
The important question for the next 6 months, is who will be the Liberal leader? My moneys on Justin Trudeau. Whether he then does a Peter Mckay and a courtship with the NDP or revives the party with Trudeau magic is the next question. It depends on which of his parents qualities dominate.... He has, if the scribes are to be beleived, a common touch and a way of connecting on the ground. His constituency work probably saved his seat. Something his father never would have bothered to realy attempt. But he doesn't have his fathers enormous intellect. He may have his vision however. (His attachment to, and leadership of Katmatvik comes to mind. For those in the US, it was a kind of Peace Corp organization. They love Justin on the campuses.)
...and the populace does love them a good visionary every now and then...
Ambassador

Post 04 May 2011, 10:04 am

I did hear J Trudeau was one of the few survivors of the Orange Crush. Bob Rae has been mentioned, but would that mean less likelihood of friendship with the NDP given his past and recent statements?

I don't guess Ignatieff is much mourned as leader. When he first 'emerged' as a rival to Dion, I thought why are they saying he's American? He was pontificating on UK TV for years.
Statesman

Post 06 May 2011, 12:40 pm

I did hear J Trudeau was one of the few survivors of the Orange Crush. Bob Rae has been mentioned, but would that mean less likelihood of friendship with the NDP given his past and recent statements?
I don't guess Ignatieff is much mourned as leader. When he first 'emerged' as a rival to Dion, I thought why are they saying he's American? He was pontificating on UK TV for years.

Bob might be leader until a convention. But he's got too much baggage. Shame really. He seems to actually have learned from past mistakes and might be a great leader. Its just impossible to really overcome his 4 tough years as Premiere of Ontario.
Ignatief is more admired today than at any point in the last 4. Probably for the way he spoke on election night, his conduct under stress of defeat, and as the human side of him has finally gotten some exposure. He was destroyed by negative advertising that the Tories conducted for months before the election and never had the money or emotional and intellectual steel to effectively counter. Trudeau or Chretien would have found a way to counter the ads. Generally decent guys like Paul Martin and Iggy seem ill equipped for the trench work.
Then again, Trudeau and Chretien both communicated a vision that Iggy never had either.