Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 08 Jul 2011, 7:51 am

Further will getting Gaddafi replaced by the rebels actually achieve the purpose of the NATO intervention, i.e. protecting civilians from atrocities. If the Rebels start to do the same thing are we going to stay in Liyba and protect civilans from them.
Ambassador

Post 08 Jul 2011, 10:33 am

Doctor Fate wrote:
danivon wrote:Read the OP, Doc

About keeping it apolitical?
All of it, Doc. About keeping about Libya and not making it all about the USA.

You know exactly what I mean, but your ODS is turning you into a zombie.
Ambassador

Post 08 Jul 2011, 10:44 am

Archduke Russell John wrote:Further will getting Gaddafi replaced by the rebels actually achieve the purpose of the NATO intervention, i.e. protecting civilians from atrocities. If the Rebels start to do the same thing are we going to stay in Liyba and protect civilans from them.
Well, a lot depends on the rebels, there. There are some indications that they are not whiter than white, but have been in many places trying to contain the 'revenge'.

But well done, Russell, for being on topic (to a point - the thread is not supposed to be about the 'impact on NATO and the operation' it's about the 'impact on Libya and the wider region').

I think there is a lot of genuine concern about what the rebels would be like if they took power. Many of the Transitional Council were quite recently ministers and/or generals serving Gadaffi. But a lot of the impetus appears (I stress - appears) to come from below.

There's not much evidence (outside of Gadaffi's speeches) that Al Qaeda are a major influence. But the Muslim Brotherhood might be.

Gadaffi seems to have chosen the end-game, no-one else. It is true that it is likely that this will only end with his death. I would hope that he can be captured alive and tried properly for his crimes, but he looks dug in. But recent reports suggest that the momentum is going against him, after a period of what looked like stalemate.

It looks like we are more likely to get a resolution than a long period (by which I mean years) of division.
Ambassador

Post 08 Jul 2011, 12:02 pm

danivon wrote:
Doctor Fate wrote:
danivon wrote:Read the OP, Doc

About keeping it apolitical?
All of it, Doc. About keeping about Libya and not making it all about the USA.

However, if it weren't for the US, this would probably not be a story.
Ambassador

Post 08 Jul 2011, 2:16 pm

Maybe not in the US. There's another 6.7 billion people on this planet, you know.
Ambassador

Post 08 Jul 2011, 2:38 pm

danivon wrote:Maybe not in the US. There's another 6.7 billion people on this planet, you know.

Yes, all of whom would THINK about lifting a finger in Libya--much like our NATO allies.

If the US stopped its attack on Libya, this would not be a story because the rebels would lose.
Ambassador

Post 08 Jul 2011, 2:54 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:
danivon wrote:Maybe not in the US. There's another 6.7 billion people on this planet, you know.

Yes, all of whom would THINK about lifting a finger in Libya--much like our NATO allies.

If the US stopped its attack on Libya, this would not be a story because the rebels would lose.

When you cut through it all, that is the argument for US involvement.
Ambassador

Post 08 Jul 2011, 3:08 pm

Ray Jay wrote:

When you cut through it all, that is the argument for US involvement.

Sure, but how much better would it be if we went in with the clear proposal that we were going to depose Ghaddafi, a clear authorization from Congress, and a clear message from the Man in Charge?
Ambassador

Post 12 Jul 2011, 11:42 am

Wait. So, the French want to settle this?

France's pivot to diplomacy was only underlined this morning when Qaddafi's son, Saif al-Islam, was quoted in the Algerian newspaper El Khabar as saying that the Qaddafi regime was negotiating with France and not the rebels. Foreign Ministry spokesman Bernard Valero has denied any direct negotiations with Libyan officials but acknowledged that "we pass messages through the rebel council (TNC) and our allies." France is also distancing itself a bit from Longuet's statements yesterday. Foreign Minister Alain Juppe clarified that NATO still needed to "keep up the military pressure" on Qaddafi and Valero noted that "any political solution must begin with Qaddafi's withdrawal from power and abandonment of any political role." Juppe added, however, that France is simultaneously working to broker a political solution based on a genuine ceasefire and left open the possibility that Qaddafi could cede power but remain in Libya.

What explains the U.S./France role reversal on Libya? Three months of air strikes "have cost billions of dollars and failed to produce the swift outcome its backers had expected," Reuters explains, and "cracks are emerging inside the NATO alliance." An increasingly impatient France is growing "concerned about the mounting cost of the military campaign and the prospect of it running on into the start of a 2012 election campaign." The French parliament will reconsider the military campaign in Libya on Tuesday, according to France 24, but the vote is considered a "formality" and is widely expected to favor continued intervention. Still, France 24 calls France new position a "huge transformation," noting that the military campaign in Libya "is costing France a million euros a day."
Ambassador

Post 12 Jul 2011, 11:53 am

Doctor Fate wrote:

You mean the NATO allies who are actually firing missiles over Libya? The very story you quote shows that France are currently doing a lot in terms of the campaign. The UK bill is about the $1bn mark so far as well.

This is so deludedly US-centric as to be ridiculous. There was a big story before NATO intervened. Whatever the outcome there will be a big story.

So, if the US (and the UK, and France and... and.. ) stopped, and as a result the rebels lost, you think that this would cease to be a story? You think that there'd be no repercussions for Libya and her neighbours? Or even for the US and NATO members?
Ambassador

Post 12 Jul 2011, 12:20 pm

danivon wrote:
Doctor Fate wrote:

You mean the NATO allies who are actually firing missiles over Libya? The very story you quote shows that France are currently doing a lot in terms of the campaign. The UK bill is about the $1bn mark so far as well.

Has the UK outspent the US on this one?

Again, why is the US fighting this war? What is our compelling interest? What's the UK's compelling interest?

You were against this, right?

This is so deludedly US-centric as to be ridiculous.

Take it up with Obama's former SecDef, who made it sound like we were having to get our allies armed so they could drop bombs on the mighty Libyan forces.

There was a big story before NATO intervened. Whatever the outcome there will be a big story.

Sure, because if the strong man outlasts us, we will have egg on our face for going in with some quarter-measures and lying about our intent.

So, if the US (and the UK, and France and... and.. ) stopped, and as a result the rebels lost, you think that this would cease to be a story? You think that there'd be no repercussions for Libya and her neighbours? Or even for the US and NATO members?

No more than what is going on in Syria right now.

The US cannot and should not be involved when there is no compelling national interest.

If the NATO alliance wanted to go into Libya, they should have been straightforward about it, sent in enough forces to take Ghaddafi out on the first weekend, and been done with it. Instead, we've got the spectacle of NATO air units bombing Tripoli in support of a rag-tag army driving about in Toyota pick-up trucks.
Ambassador

Post 12 Jul 2011, 12:34 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:Has the UK outspent the US on this one?
It's not clear. The US DoD and Congress are far better at getting costings and making them open to scrutiny. Our government have said it's £250M, but that doesn't include all possible costs. Estimates range from £400M to £800M, the mid point being £600M is about $1Bn.

Again, why is the US fighting this war? What is our compelling interest? What's the UK's compelling interest?
Ostensibly the protection of civilians from Gadaffi's evil regime.

You were against this, right?
Yes. It was a marginal case though.

Take it up with Obama's former SecDef, who made it sound like we were having to get our allies armed so they could drop bombs on the mighty Libyan forces.
really? The UN resolutions included an arms-trading ban to all sides

Sure, because if the strong man outlasts us, we will have egg on our face for going in with some quarter-measures and lying about our intent.
Indeed. Which is one of the reasons I opposed it. The main one was that it would put us all in a very difficult position should other, more 'friendly' nations (eg: Yemen and Bahrain) attack civilians.

The US cannot and should not be involved when there is no compelling national interest.
FFS! I'm trying to get you to at least consider the impact beyond the US-sodding-A!

Syria is a 'story', right? It would be whether we'd intervened in Libya or not, I expect. And it's a big story, frankly.

If the NATO alliance wanted to go into Libya, they should have been straightforward about it, sent in enough forces to take Ghaddafi out on the first weekend, and been done with it. Instead, we've got the spectacle of NATO air units bombing Tripoli in support of a rag-tag army driving about in Toyota pick-up trucks.
Perhaps the precedent of Afghanistan should give us pause on the plan you had. Hindsight is great, but I can see considerable risks in your suggestion. What if we throw loads at it and don't get Gadaffi? What if we kill loads of civilians as 'collateral damage'? What if Gadaffi (or his successors) are able to galvanise support against a foreign occupation?

Frankly, all of the options sucked. Not acting at all perhaps sucked least, but it still suggested that we don't care about democracy in the Middle East, or the civil rights of people beyond our borders.
Ambassador

Post 12 Jul 2011, 1:23 pm

danivon wrote:
Doctor Fate wrote:Has the UK outspent the US on this one?
It's not clear. The US DoD and Congress are far better at getting costings and making them open to scrutiny. Our government have said it's £250M, but that doesn't include all possible costs. Estimates range from £400M to £800M, the mid point being £600M is about $1Bn.

Well thanks!

really? The UN resolutions included an arms-trading ban to all sides

Um, maybe I was unclear--we're having to arm NATO.

The defense secretary was even harsher in his critique of NATO’s command of the Libya operation. After an initial bombing campaign run by the Americans, the alliance took over the air war and Mr. Gates warned that NATO may not be up to the task.

“The mightiest military alliance in history is only 11 weeks into an operation against a poorly armed regime in a sparsely populated country — yet many allies are beginning to run short of munitions, requiring the U.S., once more, to make up the difference,” Mr. Gates said.

While the Libya war was unanimously endorsed by NATO nations, less than half are participating, and less than a third are carrying out strike missions.

“Frankly, many of those allies sitting on the sidelines do so not because they do not want to participate, but simply because they can’t,” Mr. Gates said. “The military capabilities simply aren’t there.”

Indeed. Which is one of the reasons I opposed it. The main one was that it would put us all in a very difficult position should other, more 'friendly' nations (eg: Yemen and Bahrain) attack civilians.

I oppose it for other reasons, like the inevitable call for nation-building. I've had enough of that.

FFS! I'm trying to get you to at least consider the impact beyond the US-sodding-A!

Unlike the President, I don't think of myself as a "citizen of the world." And, I won't apologize for it.

Syria is a 'story', right? It would be whether we'd intervened in Libya or not, I expect. And it's a big story, frankly.

Right, but the slaughter continues. The trouble isn't over in Egypt yet either. The ultimate question is can we run from hotspot to hotspot, not the world's policeman, but its fireman for years to come?

I don't think so.

Perhaps the precedent of Afghanistan should give us pause on the plan you had. Hindsight is great, but I can see considerable risks in your suggestion. What if we throw loads at it and don't get Gadaffi? What if we kill loads of civilians as 'collateral damage'? What if Gadaffi (or his successors) are able to galvanise support against a foreign occupation?

Apples and alligators. Afghanistan was led by a group, not a strong man.

A good plan would have nabbed Ghaddafi. It's not like his location was a complete mystery--or that he could run and hide in the woods.

How many civilians are going to end up dying as a result of our bombing? As a result of us allowing a prolonged war?

Frankly, all of the options sucked. Not acting at all perhaps sucked least, but it still suggested that we don't care about democracy in the Middle East, or the civil rights of people beyond our borders.

I have no problem saying I don't care about democracy in Libya. None.

How can I be so heartless? Because the odds of it breaking out, even if we get Ghaddafi are what, one in ten?

If this was actually about that, boots should have hit the ground big time. We should have gone in and killed/captured Ghaddafi. He's not likely to surrender and will just get more desperate as time goes by.
Ambassador

Post 12 Jul 2011, 2:35 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:Unlike the President, I don't think of myself as a "citizen of the world." And, I won't apologize for it.
No need. Your attitude to the rest of humanity, all of us Gods children, is noted.

I have no problem saying I don't care about democracy in Libya. None.

How can I be so heartless? Because the odds of it breaking out, even if we get Ghaddafi are what, one in ten?
You being the expert on the region I defer to you. Do you care about human rights in Libya? You don't have to say you care enough to fight (or in your case, pay others to fight), just whether it gives you any cause for concern at all?

If this was actually about that, boots should have hit the ground big time. We should have gone in and killed/captured Ghaddafi. He's not likely to surrender and will just get more desperate as time goes by.
And our track record of imposing democracy by force in the Middle East is what, exactly?
Ambassador

Post 12 Jul 2011, 2:53 pm

Anyway, who cares what you think, Steve? I mean, we already know what you think and no amount of repetition is going to make it any more or less clear. Yes, to you Obama is the bad guy, and the only effect that matters is the effect on US politics.

For those interested in the actual events, rather than the US-based partisan politics, here's a report from the area I was talking about:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/ju ... ar-tripoli