Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Truck Series Driver (Pro II)

Post 06 Mar 2011, 2:36 pm

Special forces land in the middle of the night to make 'diplomatic contact' in Libya. Rebels kindly return them back to British custody. UK seems a bit weird on this, and with the strange episode where they released a terrorist to make deals with Gaddafi. (which we know thanks to Bradley Manning)
Dignitary

Post 06 Mar 2011, 5:47 pm

"Pawned"? :confused: Did you mean "pwned"?
Ambassador

Post 06 Mar 2011, 6:25 pm

You got a hard on for anything anti UK/US dont you Neal ?

Good job to the SAS, sounds like they got there mission accomplished. Hope they have a safe and uneventful return home.
Ambassador

Post 07 Mar 2011, 1:43 pm

Neal Anderth wrote:Special forces land in the middle of the night to make 'diplomatic contact' in Libya. Rebels kindly return them back to British custody. UK seems a bit weird on this, and with the strange episode where they released a terrorist to make deals with Gaddafi. (which we know thanks to Bradley Manning)
Ok, here's a quick summary of why you may be a bit confused about this...

From the bottom, up:

1) Manning (and are you asserting he's guilty?) or WIkileaks, did not tell us anything we didn't already know about the Al Megrahi situation.
2) The British government of the day (under Brown) did not release him. The Scottish government released him. No link has been established - or even suggested by any evidence - that the Scottish government did any deals with Libya or with the UK government when the Minister used the laws on compassionate release.
3) The UK had a national election last year. The government of Brown was defeated and replaced by the government of Cameron. Different parties are in power to back then (and the party ruling Scotland is different again from both).
4) It is a bit weird in the means used, given that we have a ship in the harbour nearby and another ferrying people about. But it's not really that odd that we'd want to contact the rebels.
5) They don't appear to have been attacked or subdued, it appears that they were open about their presence and were following orders.

Oh, and 6), Ray Jay is right. Your 1337-speak is atrocious.
Emissary

Post 07 Mar 2011, 1:54 pm

Yeah, we really didn't need Wikileaks to tell us that something very dodgy went on with the Megrahi release. It was hardly a secret was it ? In fact it was a massive news story at the time and quite obviously involved some shady backroom deals between the Libyans and various senior people in the British and Scottish governments. I don't buy Dan's suggestion that Brown had nothing to do with it either, that strikes me as remarkably naive. Since his retirement Tony Blair has made millions as a paid 'consultant' to Gaddafi. Is it really so difficult to imagine that part of this consultancy involved putting him in touch with senior members of the British establishment in order to facilitate deals ? Seems blindingly obvious to me. I realise that Blair and Brown are different people, but it's hardly like the government put up much of a fight over this release is it ? At the time it struck me that they were all in favour of it, and I'd be very surprised if the Scottish executive would have agreed to the release in the face of opposition from the national government.
Ambassador

Post 07 Mar 2011, 1:58 pm

Sass - I was suggesting that the Scottish had nothing to do with the deals. They really wouldn't - it would surely be in the interests of the SNP and their cause to embarass the UK by publicising any pressure and refusing to go along with it. It would be a major issue on which their separatist stance could be politically expounded for gain.

I have no doubt that the UK government was trying to further UK interests by doing deals to get UK companies into Libya. And I've no doubt that Libya wanted to make the man's release part of the deal. And I have no doubt that the Blair and later Brown governments were trying to 'suggest' ways to get things moving without going as far as to make it official.