Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index

Post 02 Mar 2011, 3:38 pm

What do people think the purpose of Government is?

Considering the myriad of countries represented here, what documents back up these beliefs?
Ambassador

Post 03 Mar 2011, 4:17 pm

Well, the short answer is "to govern". But I'm not simply being flippant.

I don't think it's easy to have a simple answer to this question. A lot depend on what it is that is being governed. It's not just countries that have government. Subdivisions of nations have them, don't they? And each level has a different set of purposes. It's not only geographical areas that have governance structures either - churches, social clubs, companies, etc all have some kind of government (even if it's not called that).

I suppose it's a question we could explore on many levels.

Perhaps you mean what 'should' be the purpose of government?
Statesman

Post 04 Mar 2011, 8:47 am

Everything evolves from basic need.
Government evolved as a way to reduce conflict and resolve matters between tribe members.
When we were hunter gateherers conflict had the high proability of injury and from that death... resolution mechanisms had to come into being to reduce harm. A chief became the "arbiter" in most disputes.
As we settled into villages, and they grew to kingdoms this need continued and government evolved. and continues to evolve at different rates and in different fashion in each community in the world.
My favorite example of an anarchic people desiring the benefit of government are the Slavic peoples who could not resolve decades of conflict in their land and finally invited the Princes of Rus to come into their lands and rule them, And so the vikings of Moscovy began the nation of Russia.
Dignitary

Post 04 Mar 2011, 6:22 pm

Green Arrow wrote:What do people think the purpose of Government is?

Considering the myriad of countries represented here, what documents back up these beliefs?

Perhaps you can share your own views on the subject?

Post 04 Mar 2011, 8:42 pm

Government is to provide 4 things:
1. Justice System (Common Defense)
2. Common Defense (Police and military)
3. Equality of opportunity (ensuring discrimination is punished) (General Welfare and blessings of Liberty)
4. Joint Commerce between states (Commerce clause)

Needless to say this would be the US Constitution