Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 06 Jun 2011, 3:52 am

NA, if you can intervene in your postman's diet, you can save us taxpayers a lot of money.
Truck Series Driver (Pro II)

Post 06 Jun 2011, 8:30 am

I don't think getting emotionally involved with my hypotheticals is a good idea :D
Ambassador

Post 06 Jun 2011, 12:05 pm

Neal Anderth wrote:I don't think getting emotionally involved with my hypotheticals is a good idea :D
Ah, so your postman doesn't actually exist? Or he's not that fat?

Again, you miss the point. Firstly, size doesn't necessarily have a direct inverse proportion to health. Some skinny people are very unhealthy. Some portly people are in pretty good nick.

Secondly, I'm trying to suggest that not only is there not 'one' answer for everyone, but that for most people who want to improve their health the chances are that it's a combination of diet and other factors, including exercise.

A good maxim would seem to be 'Moderation in all things, including moderation' (not sure who coined that, but it's a good one).

I agree with you that a low-fat diet, or an obsession with saturated fats, is not always the best idea. But a low-carb diet might not be either. Besides, when it comes to eggs, there aren't many saturated fats in them. If you fry them in saturated fat, that's where most of it would come from. They do contain cholesterol, but it's a fallacy that foods high in one are always high in the other.
Statesman

Post 06 Jun 2011, 3:43 pm

'Moderation in all things, including moderation'

- Samuel Clemens aka Mark Twain.

he also went on to describe his maiden aunt, who neither smoked nor drank nor had any ill habits. She took ill and went to see a doctor and he told her that she needed to loose all her bad habits or soon she would be dead.
Having none, she was like a balloon with no ballast . She soon passed.
Administrator

Post 06 Jun 2011, 3:45 pm

danivon wrote:A good maxim would seem to be 'Moderation in all things, including moderation' (not sure who coined that, but it's a good one).

Petronius. (One of my favorite quotes!)

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Moderation
Truck Series Driver (Pro II)

Post 18 Jun 2011, 11:27 pm

Uprising Interview with Gary Taubes (Warning it's 56 minutes)

A related summary:
I was just thinking about the “beneficial effects” of a low-carb diet and how it’s essentially a misnomer.

When we eat low-carbohydrate diets, our “good” HDL tends to go up, our LDL becomes larger and fluffier (less atherogenic), our blood pressure goes down, and our triglycerides plummet. Does this mean a low-carbohydrate diet is beneficial to health?

Yes and no. While it appears “beneficial,” for me, it’s more of an indicator of our serum lipids “correcting” to levels that we are supposed to find in a healthy individual. In other words, if we look at a population of people who are chronically over-consuming sugar and refined carbohydrates, their serum lipids are going to be abnormal. When they go on a low-carbohydrate diet, they’re correcting the abnormality and the associated lipids will become more “favorable” (while I would argue that they’re just trending toward a normal, healthy human being) depending on which MD or researcher you ask.

So it is with weight “loss,” water “loss,” lipid and metabolic “benefits” of a low-carbohydrate diet. There is nothing magical about restricting carbohydrates, rather it’s closer to the kind of diet that we’ve been eating and are presumably genetically adapted to eat, and any loss of weight and water, any beneficial effects on serum lipids are just a correction rather than an improvement in health.

Benefits v. Correction:

A restricted-carbohydrate diet doesn’t make you lose weight; it corrects your weight.

A restricted-carbohydrate diet doesn’t make you lose water weight; it corrects your water weight.

A restricted-carbohydrate diet doesn’t improve serum lipids; it corrects serum lipids.

A restricted-carbohydrate diet doesn’t improve health; it corrects unhealthiness.

This ties in with the earlier research summary posted showing that it's not even cholesterol that is the problem, but rather the alteration that occurs through glycation from elevated blood sugars.

It's a telling example of the value of looking for causation. A blood cholesterol profile might be a good way to tell if someone has a metabolic problem, but it has been very misleading to the medical establishment that has typically pursued statins to trick down the cholesterol numbers, rather than addressing the dangers of glycation on cholesterol.