Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Truck Series Driver (Pro II)

Post 22 May 2011, 10:02 pm

47 Health workers face military trial for helping Bahrain protesters
Ambassador

Post 23 May 2011, 3:43 am

I find this to be a very important story. I can't recall any parallels where a government goes after doctors and nurses who help protesters. Can anyone think of any comparables? I also think that specifically going after enemy medics is unusual in times of war.
Ambassador

Post 24 May 2011, 1:15 pm

It would be against Geneva to target medics who were clearly identified, as long as they were not also in combat. I don't know if Bahraini doctors take the Hippocratic Oath (UK doctors don't), but if they do then the government has zero case.

But Bahrain is our 'friend' and the upstarts are Shias who might be something to do with Iran, so a blind eye will be turned.
Adjutant

Post 24 May 2011, 10:54 pm

danivon wrote:
But Bahrain is our 'friend' and the upstarts are Shias who might be something to do with Iran, so a blind eye will be turned.

Funny thing is some people are still not understanding why we mght not win popularity contests around the world. It's not only because they hate our freedom.

Post 07 Jun 2011, 7:33 am

Dozens of doctors and nurses who treated injured antigovernment protesters during the months of unrest in Bahrain went on trial on Monday on charges that they had participated in efforts to overthrow the monarchy. The 47 health professionals were arraigned in a closed hearing in a security court. The Shiite majority had been protesting to demand greater freedom, equal rights and an elected government from the Sunni monarchy. During the unrest, the medical professionals said it was their duty to treat everyone and rejected accusations that treating protesters was akin to supporting their cause.
Ambassador

Post 07 Jun 2011, 11:10 am

Faxmonkey wrote:Funny thing is some people are still not understanding why we mght not win popularity contests around the world. It's not only because they hate our freedom.
Maybe it's our part in them not having the same freedom, then.

Neal - it's ridiculous that they've even been charged. The trials will probably be rigged.

Post 10 Jun 2011, 8:51 am

Obama hides meeting with top Bahraini

Ludo sent home