Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Truck Series Driver (Pro II)

Post 18 Feb 2011, 10:47 am

Mission: We're engaged in an historic effort to attain and maintain stability in the Middle East, protect our friends & partners, and deter aggression.

Is it OK for the US 5th fleet to tolerate the massacre of peaceful protesters in a city where it's command is stationed?

Post 18 Feb 2011, 10:59 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Directive

I think this applies. :grin:
Administrator

Post 18 Feb 2011, 1:53 pm

It's a tough call but I think we are doing the only thing we really CAN do, we SAY the right things and HOPE for the best but we actually DO nothing. To get our military involved in foreign affairs makes them/us pick sides and we simply can not win if forced to pick a side.
Adjutant

Post 19 Feb 2011, 1:06 am

GMTom wrote:It's a tough call but I think we are doing the only thing we really CAN do, we SAY the right things and HOPE for the best but we actually DO nothing. To get our military involved in foreign affairs makes them/us pick sides and we simply can not win if forced to pick a side.

Yes we can do nothing while autocrats we supported for years shoot up their people. Perish the thought that we bring pressure to bear that could cost us economic growth if oil prices spike or the autocrats lash back.
Dignitary

Post 19 Feb 2011, 7:11 am

Bahrain ordered its military off the streets Saturday

source

I'm sure that quiet US pressure/advice could not possibly have played any role in this development. If it had, it would invalidate the snide sarcasm of N.A. and Faxmonkey and that's ... just ... unthinkable.
:eek:
Ambassador

Post 19 Feb 2011, 9:09 am

Green Arrow wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Directive

Is the Enterprise on scene?
Ambassador

Post 19 Feb 2011, 11:45 am

I think the rubber meets the road in Bahrain. It is majority Shiite, but ruled by Sunnis. It has no oil of its own, but sits right there near Saudi Arabia and Iran. And then there's the US military presence.

Apparently the US only has influence with the King and his Son, but the King's brother is a hardliner and the Prime Minister. The King's son is in charge of the armed forces. The family difference of opinion further complicates matters.

I think this one is better suited to Picard's diplomatic skills, and not those of Kirk. Kirk would end up sleeping with the King's daughter and all heck would break lose.

Post 19 Feb 2011, 12:23 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:
Green Arrow wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Directive

Is the Enterprise on scene?

The Primitive species here are not able to detect the advanced cloaking the Enterprise has. (Duh!)

Post 19 Feb 2011, 1:40 pm

Ray Jay wrote:I think the rubber meets the road in Bahrain. It is majority Shiite, but ruled by Sunnis. It has no oil of its own, but sits right there near Saudi Arabia and Iran. And then there's the US military presence.

Might as well insert the wiki on their economy:
In a region experiencing an oil boom, Bahrain has the fastest growing economy in the Arab world, the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia found in January 2006. Bahrain also has the freest economy in the Middle East according to the 2011 Index of Economic Freedom published by the Heritage Foundation/Wall Street Journal, and is tenth freest overall in the world.

In 2008, Bahrain was named the world's fastest growing financial center by the City of London's Global Financial Centres Index. Bahrain's banking and financial services sector, particularly Islamic banking, have benefited from the regional boom. In Bahrain, petroleum production and processing account for about 60% of export receipts, 60% of government revenues, and 30% of GDP.

Economic conditions have fluctuated with the changing fortunes of oil since 1985, for example, during and following the Persian Gulf crisis of 1990–91. With its highly developed communication and transport facilities, Bahrain is home to multinational firms. A large share of exports consists of petroleum products made from imported crude oil. Construction proceeds on several major industrial projects. In 2004, Bahrain signed the US-Bahrain Free Trade Agreement, which will reduce certain barriers to trade between the two nations.

Unemployment, especially among the young, and the depletion of both oil and underground water resources are major long-term economic problems. In 2008, the jobless figure was a 4%, but women are over represented at 85% of the total. Bahrain in 2007 became the first Arab country to institute unemployment benefits as part of a series of labour reforms instigated under Minister of Labour, Dr. Majeed Al Alawi.
Ambassador

Post 19 Feb 2011, 5:02 pm

relative economic freedom without political / social freedom.

Post 15 Mar 2011, 5:58 pm

Now they've brought in a 1,000 troops from Saudi Arabia & UAE as a 3 month martial law, the Administration won't condemn these actions.

Post 18 Apr 2011, 10:24 am

Bahrain appears to get a free pass from the US. They've (the US) managed to convince the world that this is a dangerous sectarian matter that the US should stay out of.

All we've seen is peaceful protest challenging the government and demanding freedoms and reform.

The US has made the largest arms deal ever (60bln) with Saudi Arabia and stood by as they stepped into Bahrain to assist on the crackdown on protesters.

Update here

Post 19 May 2011, 10:45 pm

Obama "Bahrain is a longstanding partner, and we are committed to its security. We recognize that Iran has tried to take advantage of the turmoil there, and that the Bahraini government has a legitimate interest in the rule of law."

How nice of Obama to give cover to Bahrain as they carryout their atrocities against a peaceful population.
Adjutant

Post 22 May 2011, 6:21 am

it's for america's benefit, it'd be foolish for him to otherwise
Adjutant

Post 22 May 2011, 9:04 pm

It isn't for my benefit.