Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 23 Feb 2011, 2:50 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:You're right. It's hopeless. I think the government should just put everyone on the dole permanently. It's not discriminatory and it's simple.
It's not hopeless. It's just difficult.

I bet you say stuff like "Pull yourself together" and "snap out of it" and expect results.

No, not at all. However, in one case in particular, the man was a volunteer at a local soup kitchen. He also had plenty of time to call and ask me questions.

Yeah, I know. It's an anecdote. The problem with "depression" is it's pretty simple to fake. You will surely ask, "Why would anyone do that?"

Because they'd rather be paid for nothing and given mind-altering drugs than work.
Right, so because one guy in your opinion did it, they must all do it? Again, some people scam the system, but that doesn't mean you can assume that all similar cases do. You were blanket generalising about young people with depression, with no attempt to say that any cases may be genuine.

I think I know a bit about depressing circumstances. I lived a rather hellish young adulthood. I know plenty of people who have had difficult circumstances. Many of those diagnosed as "clinically depressed" are simply looking to medicate their way out of those sorts of circumstances.

Medically, "clinical depression" is guesswork. That's just the truth. They can't measure it and have to guess at the correct treatment.
Yes, Doctor, because depression is simply about people who had a tough time and can't cope. Simple cause and effect. Simple solution (do some work!). Or perhaps you are just basing your ideas on subjective experiences and little else.

Again, you make claims about 'many' people but provide little evidence, and don't understand that sometimes depression arises in people who aren't having a hellish time at all. There are cases which are psychological, but it's not all 'guesswork'. Causes for depression include aberrant brain chemistry (low levels of seratonin, for example).
Ambassador

Post 23 Feb 2011, 3:07 pm

danivon wrote:There are cases which are psychological, but it's not all 'guesswork'. Causes for depression include aberrant brain chemistry (low levels of seratonin, for example).

Uh-huh. That's why it's so clear--from the Mayo Clinic.

You can look and look. There are no absolutes with it in terms of symptoms and treatments.

It is "guesswork."
Ambassador

Post 23 Feb 2011, 3:14 pm

Of course there a no 'absolutes' That doesn't mean each case is total guesswork.

There are no 'absolutes' when it comes to cancer. All kinds of causes, some are benign, some clear up of their own accord. Doesn't mean that every cancer patient can be considered the same.

You write of all depressives, because it suits your world view.
Ambassador

Post 23 Feb 2011, 3:21 pm

danivon wrote:Of course there a no 'absolutes' That doesn't mean each case is total guesswork.

There are no 'absolutes' when it comes to cancer. All kinds of causes, some are benign, some clear up of their own accord. Doesn't mean that every cancer patient can be considered the same.

You write of all depressives, because it suits your world view.

Swill.

Cancer is measurable. Depression is not. However, it fits your worldview to make stuff up.
Administrator

Post 23 Feb 2011, 4:24 pm

anectotes do not equal data?
First off you wish to diminish first hand accounts by calling them anecdotes, an anecdote may indeed be factual, it's called testimony. I can testify to knowing these people who have scammed welfare. By calling it an anecdote doesn't diminish the validity and when you have enough such "anecdotes" you in fact have your real data.

Have you asked any Americans yet?
Ask just a few, go ahead, after all, it isn't true so why not take the challenge if you are so certain of your position?
Ambassador

Post 24 Feb 2011, 2:09 am

GMTom wrote:anectotes do not equal data?
Yes, that is the case. You are getting there, slowly...

First off you wish to diminish first hand accounts by calling them anecdotes, an anecdote may indeed be factual, it's called testimony. I can testify to knowing these people who have scammed welfare. By calling it an anecdote doesn't diminish the validity and when you have enough such "anecdotes" you in fact have your real data.
It's not very good quality data, and it is cherry picking. How many people do you know who do not scam welfare? How many people are there who do not scam welfare that you don't know about?

And yeah, nice try with 'testimony'. That implies that your opinions (and those of the people you asked) would stand up in court.

Have you asked any Americans yet?
Ask just a few, go ahead, after all, it isn't true so why not take the challenge if you are so certain of your position?
I never said that it wasn't true that there are people who abuse welfare. I don't know how many times I need to repeat that point for it to get in. Perhaps some time after you accept that a bunch of anecdotes alone is not a collection of data.

I question the extent of the actual problem, and anecdotes (or 'testimony' if you insist) are not really a good way to quantify the issue. Particularly when the 'testimony' seems to be based on people making guesses about the motives of others.

Steve - The point is that depression does exist, even if it can't be measured as conveniently as you'd like, and that just because you think 'many' people are falsely claiming to be depressed doesn't mean that there are not genuine cases (even amongst the young).

Both you and Tom are extrapolating from anecdote to produce generalisations:

"I know people who know people who they think are scamming welfare, therefore huge amounts of welfare is being scammed"

"I know people who said they were depressed but just needed to do some work, therefore most people who say they are depressed are scamming us (and maybe themselves)"

Let's see if I can play this silly game:

"I know Americans who are too blinkered to look outside their own experiences and fear science so much that all they can grasp at is 'common sense' and prejudice, therefore most Americans are morons".

Nah, it's just not true. It's utter bunk. Most Americans are decent people.
Dignitary

Post 24 Feb 2011, 8:27 am

This is a fun conversation to watch in a mind numbing sort of way.

So the question is Tom, Green and Steve...Do you believe there is enough welfare fraud out there that it will cost more to investigate and prosecute the the amount lost in fraud? Dan and Ricky's contention is it will cost more and therefore is a waste of time.

Ricky and Dan - Do you guys understand though that while it may be the case that fraud represents a small percentage of the outlay, it causes an emotional response that creates enmity towards those taking public assistance. While the rational mind may understand that, the gut is stronger.

I could tell you seme stories that would make you scream why isn't that person in jail.
Administrator

Post 24 Feb 2011, 8:53 am

Actual fraud? I never said that. I was clearly pointing out the great many people who are "working the system" by having children to make more money, by purposely not getting married, and so on. All quite legal so it's not exactly fraud. What I would like to see (and it seems to be the same thought for several others at least) is to limit the benefits and rework the entire system. aside from medical conditions, limit the benefits to a certain time, make people work for it, etc. Not a simple handout to all.

and that crap about "opinion" excuse me, I know people who are scamming the system, that is not an "opinion" and it would indeed stand up in court. It's called testimony, if I know of something, it is not an opinion, it is knowledge.
If you see someone stab another, you see them die, you are trying to tell me that is an anecdote or an opinion? I know of my nephew who is not married because he gets better benefits for his kid, that is not an opinion, that is factual, I have spoken to him about it, that would stand up in any court of law! Dismissing it because you don't like it? Yes, my "poll" is not scientific, that poll would not stand up in court, but if you took those people and had them testify in court, their testimony would hold, it is not their opinion, it is what they know for fact, nice of you to decide what we know and what we think!

Take a poll and you will find everyone you speak to knows of someone who has done this. Even in a court of law, if you have overwhelming circumstantial evidence, you will be found guilty.
A gunshot is heard
You walk in seconds later and see John with a gun in his hand, a dead body at his feet
Police find gunshot residue on Johns hands
Police discover the dead man was sleeping with Johns wife

Yet John says he didn't do it and nobody saw him do it.
The evidence is circumstantial but damning. Enough circumstantial evidence and you can make a case!

...same here, again, try polling a few Americans you may know, have you tried that yet?
How can I be soooo certain of the answer if this is just so darned rare?
You are fooling yourself if you insist what individuals might KNOW does not eventually mean something, of course it does and you show complete arrogance by dismissing such personal observations, not opinions, but what we have seen ourselves.
Ambassador

Post 24 Feb 2011, 9:16 am

Archduke Russell John wrote:This is a fun conversation to watch in a mind numbing sort of way.

So the question is Tom, Green and Steve...Do you believe there is enough welfare fraud out there that it will cost more to investigate and prosecute the the amount lost in fraud? Dan and Ricky's contention is it will cost more and therefore is a waste of time.
Where did I make that contention? I was making a point back up-thread that is in line with the law of diminishing returns - but I do not think that means you can't do more. Besides, a lot of what GA, Tom and Steve are objecting to is legal but to their eyes wrong.

Ricky and Dan - Do you guys understand though that while it may be the case that fraud represents a small percentage of the outlay, it causes an emotional response that creates enmity towards those taking public assistance. While the rational mind may understand that, the gut is stronger.
Yes, such effects are not unique to the US, you know...

However, it would be refreshing if policy was more considered and less based on knee-jerk reaction.

I could tell you seme stories that would make you scream why isn't that person in jail.
As could I. That is not unique to welfare, though. I never said fraud should not be punished, or that more could not be done to find it. Quite the contrary, in fact.

What I am arguing against, however is the leap from 'fraud exists' and 'some can claim things I don't think they should be able to' to a wholesale change to the system without even waiting to see if such changes would pemalise the deserving, or even to see a full qualitative and quantative analysis. Why bother whem you have gossip?
Ambassador

Post 24 Feb 2011, 9:18 am

danivon wrote:
GMTom wrote:Steve - The point is that depression does exist, even if it can't be measured as conveniently as you'd like, and that just because you think 'many' people are falsely claiming to be depressed doesn't mean that there are not genuine cases (even amongst the young).

Both you and Tom are extrapolating from anecdote to produce generalisations

Actually, I went to the Mayo Clinic Website and linked to it. The symptoms are so generic anyone with a mild bump in life might be "depressed."

Also, I did not say "there are not genuine cases." I am sure there are. However, it is far too easy to get classified as unable to work due to depression--just look at that list of symptoms.
Ambassador

Post 24 Feb 2011, 9:20 am

danivon wrote:[What I am arguing against, however is the leap from 'fraud exists' and 'some can claim things I don't think they should be able to' to a wholesale change to the system without even waiting to see if such changes would pemalise the deserving, or even to see a full qualitative and quantative analysis. Why bother whem you have gossip?

No one wants to penalize those needing help (nee "deserving"). Tightening the system against fraud might well help them as resources would not be strained.
Ambassador

Post 24 Feb 2011, 9:24 am

Archduke Russell John wrote:Do you believe there is enough welfare fraud out there that it will cost more to investigate and prosecute the the amount lost in fraud?

I know, without a doubt, there is some low-hanging fruit that could at least restore some confidence in the system. Do I think we'll find 75% of applicants are fraudulent?

Not at all. However, if it is 10% or even 5%, eliminating them will go far in giving the taxpayer confidence that the system is not being abused. It is important that people believe their government is at least trying to be responsible.
Ambassador

Post 24 Feb 2011, 12:08 pm

Archduke - As I noted, the thread appears to have been mind-numbing enough for you to have misread my position and that of GA, Tom and Steve (I’ll not speak for ricky, as I’m not totally sure what he is arguing here, but that’s ricky for you!). Steve and I appear to agree that increasing the resources spent on detecting fraud is a good thing.

Where I disagree, or rather offer a note of caution, is on the idea that you can eliminate all of the fraud without considerable investment. If, say, fraud is at 10%, then a modest investment would be likely to root out a good half of that for far less cost than the money saved/recovered. However, if it’s 5% (or we have already got it down from 10% to 5%), the chances are that halving it again will come at a greater cost. At some point, the benefits of each extra amount spent on fraud detection will be outweighed by the extra costs of doing so. Additionally, if checks are too stringent and time-consuming, this could also have the effect of slowing down the process for genuine cases. The more people you find, the more who will appeal (and some may win on appeal), which adds to the costs – and natural justice does entitle people to appeal. Thus, the law of diminishing returns applies.

You can no more completely eliminate all welfare fraud than you can eliminate all thefts, at least not without seriously infringing the privacy of people who are innocent and spending vast amounts of money and time. But I never argued that you could not reduce it if you tried.

Tom – please stop harping on about this silly poll you did. I accept that you can testify about your nephew. However, that doesn’t mean that the other ‘testimony’ you obtained is as clear cut. Your latter example is a salient one – on the face of it, there’s a case. But there are possible explanations that could be tested for that exonerate John, or at the very least cast enough doubt on the case that he would be acquitted. For example, does the other guy have GSR on his hands as well? Was the angle of the wound very steep or nearly straight on? Who owned the weapon? Was there any suggestion that the cuckold or the wife might want John out of the way? Potentially there could be an argument for self-defence. Find a suicide note and it could completely change. The problem is that it’s very easy to see what you want to see, and fill in the gaps to meet your preconceptions. It’s called cognitive dissonance, and is a human trait that serves us well sometimes, but causes us to leap to wrong conclusions at others. Similarly with your study – both questions you asked called for the people you spoke to to not only report observable facts, but to make suppositions about the reasoning of other individuals.

As it happens, I watched Match Point last night, which has an ending in which the outcome is determined by a very small thing that alters the whole perception of a case of murder. I won't spoil it, but it's a natty twist.

I also note Tom, that in your desperation to maintain that your ‘poll’ is somehow proof of your point, you appear to have completely skipped the part where I agreed that there could be potential for a rule change. Why is that? Because you don’t expect to see it? Cognitive dissonance, Tom, it gets us all. Similarly, you don’t seem to have noted that I agree that what you say exists, but that what your collection of hearsay-based-anecdotes does not do is to quantify the actual extent of the problem. It would appear that the methodology would tend to overstate the problem, and you have said nothing to suggest to me that you did much to control for the various flaws which would increase the likelihood of false positives.

However, it seems that what you and GA are arguing is not simply a tightening up of some rules, but a wholesale reduction in entitlements, as a means of dealing with the problem that you perceive. My question is really, is that necessary, if a rule change such as I suggested (and resources to enforce those rules) would cut out a lot of what irks you? And furthermore, what would your plans for massive cuts in entitlement do for those who really are in need? Remember, of course, that each case has to be taken on it’s own merits, that someone has to be the arbiter, and that they are only able to see the evidence that is in front of them when claims are being made, and aren’t capable of reading the minds of claimants to derive their true motives.

Steve – When you said
I strongly object to young people, especially young men being given disability payments for “depression.” I think I understand the cause of many such cases: the lack of physical labor
That said to me that you objected to any young men diagnosed with depression getting disability payments. Perhaps you should have qualified your absolutist position somewhat, if it is the case that your position is more nuanced, and that you do accept that some cases, even among men in their 20s and 30s, are genuine and are debilitative, even if only temporarily.
Administrator

Post 24 Feb 2011, 12:59 pm

It is my firm belief that by cutting welfare it would indeed be the kick in the pants many need to get back to work, yes. Getting paid to do nothing is no incentive to work, it's just the opposite and the welfare state has got to come to an end.

btw, it's funny how it's me that is harping, seems to me that you keep ignoring some important facts and keep asserting you know how things are over here better than I. Face it, you don't so why keep up the charade?
Administrator

Post 24 Feb 2011, 1:04 pm

and depression?
yet another golden opportunity for those working the system to find new ways to not work.
You got yourself a case of "Depression" fine, here's a bottle of pills, now get to work.

...I have an ex-neighbor who worked that angle, both he and his wife stopped working due to depression. It was a permanent excuse to not have to work again, the BOTH of them. Funny how he had that kick in just before the plant they both worked in closed, they managed to not have to look for a new job both came down with the same "malady" at the same time ...nice.