Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 30 Jun 2019, 1:24 pm

bbauska wrote:Did anyone else have the same feeling about Amy Klobuchar that I did? She seems like a nice person trying to be an attack dog? It appeared out of sorts for her.

Biden is a no go, and he looked old. Warren did the best, and Bernie was the most bombastic. I give it Warren.

I also thought Harris was very good. Klobuchar didn't hurt herself. I did worry about most of the candidates trying to out-do their opponents by showing how liberal they can be. I'm sure the electorate will experience whiplash in the general.
Statesman

Post 02 Jul 2019, 9:03 am

geojanes
I did worry about most of the candidates trying to out-do their opponents by showing how liberal they can be. I'm sure the electorate will experience whiplash in the general.

On which issues? health care?
56% of Americans support a single payer option now...
(Kaiser Family Foundation tracking poll)
Elizabeth Warren seems uniquely able to communicate the benefits of such .... and even connected with the issue at a Fox News Town Hall..

Immigration? Maybe. I'm still wondering when any candidate is going to address the issue as an employment issue...
We have little illegal immigration in Canada because it is nearly impossible to make a living if you aren't in the country legally. Employers won't risk hiring someone - even casually - without social security numbers (Which only legally landed persons can acquire).
That's the choke point that's required in the US too, but one that is resisted by many major employers in the US....
In fact many of the illegals are part of a necessary work force in certain industries...
Does warren have a plan for that?
Statesman

Post 02 Jul 2019, 2:31 pm

Hickenlooper campaign in shambles
Senior staffers asked the former Colorado governor to drop out of the presidential race and run for Senate.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/ ... gn-1395051

Its tough being Nostradamus...
Ambassador

Post 02 Jul 2019, 2:52 pm

Ricky:
We have little illegal immigration in Canada because it is nearly impossible to make a living if you aren't in the country legally.

That's part of it … there's also the issue of geography.
Administrator

Post 02 Jul 2019, 3:44 pm

I would love to see MAJOR fines against the employers who hire illegals, as well as no funds from Federal/State/Local jurisdictions. If there are no incomes for those coming in illegally, then the flow will be reduced substantially.

I would love to see LEGAL immigration increased as well.
Adjutant

Post 03 Jul 2019, 5:36 pm

Here is some info on e-verify:

https://www.cato.org/blog/facts-about-e ... employment

As RJ said we have a big border with Mexico. US businesses dont like being held responsible if an illegal immigrant accidentally slip through. Most US businesses dont use E-verify because it is a hassle. It's not just the relatively small number of businesses that directly rely on illegal immigrants.

Instead of some cumbersome all-inclusive sanctions, we should focus on the sectors of the US economy where illegals get their jobs. Try to see if we can help the conditions in Central America that are causing some of the immigration, have some sane way of making the border tighter, and provide a method for those who have lived here a long time a path to get citizenship. But we can't come up with a reasonable solution because it is a political problem about the country getting browner.
Adjutant

Post 03 Jul 2019, 5:50 pm

If the Republican Party moved away from it's anti-immigrant base...and got more of the Hispanic vote...then this issue would lose a lot of steam. But then would the Republican Party continue to exist? I guess it's an impossible problem.

At least let's make sure these people--illegal immigrants or not-- are treated fairly and humanely. You know, the due process and human rights and we're all created equal mottos we're supposed to espouse.
Statesman

Post 03 Jul 2019, 7:55 pm

rayjay
That's part of it … there's also the issue of geography.

Maybe not as much as you may think. Consider that most illegal immigrants are in the US through airports or legal border crossings.. And many of them end up illegally employed...
In Canada most illegals are also here overstaying visas or over staying refugee claims and got here on jets, ( A ton of Brazilians a few years back). Canada is pretty decent to refugee claimants but 90% are denied and sent back... We just don't jail them or separate families while they go thru the process.

But since the opportunities for good employment aren't there.... many eventually leave.
In the US, certain industries are dependent on illegals. Meat packing, agriculture are two... The fact is the illegals in those industries are actually needed and should be able to surface and become legal with sponsorship from their employers...

I think bbauska you are a little soft on the employers. If they faced jail time ... then you'd get compliance. People always say that illegals are stealing jobs... The truth is they are given jobs. And the employers invariably know they are hiring someone illegal.
Administrator

Post 03 Jul 2019, 8:58 pm

I am for jail time for employers, if you're for jail time on the illegal immigrants and deportation afterwards. Sound like a trade?
Administrator

Post 05 Jul 2019, 11:51 am

Interesting results from the Washington State DNC poll at the Independence Day Festival in Walla Walla yesterday.

Warren and Harris leading. Inslee was basically a no-show in his own state.
Straw Poll2.jpg
Emissary

Post 19 Jul 2019, 9:35 pm

Ricky P wrote:

Its tough being Nostradamus...

It is.

I hereby relinquish my prediction. When I look at the 20 monkeys running for the nomination, I am at a total loss on who might emerge as the victor.

I can tell you that Peter Buttigieg is who I would like to see but as I've explained, the country isn't ready for a gay POTUS....at least not yet which is a damn shame.

I hereby retire from crystal ball work when it comes to elections but I honestly cannot see anyone beating Trump given the complete mess the DNC is in.
Statesman

Post 21 Jul 2019, 12:21 pm

bbauska
I hereby retire from crystal ball work when it comes to elections but I honestly cannot see anyone beating Trump given the complete mess the DNC is in

Oh i don't know. four of the 5 top candidates are polling ahead of Trump in face to face polls...
Plus Trump appears to have a hard ceiling of 45% support. The electoral math is even tougher than last time if that is what his election night total ends up being...

Harris and Warren have the most upside (second choice support) .... I don't see Biden or Saunders with enough 2nd choice support .
Most of Saunders supporters would move to Warren if he dropped out... And Harris seems to be everyone else's second choice.
Warren is plus five in face to face versus trump right now... Harris plus one. And they aren't entirely known commodities to many voters.... Warren charmed Fox voters at a Fox town Hall a short while ago. Maybe because she understands their grievances as real, and actually "has a plan for that".
Plus she'll teach them to understand they've been conned...
My prediction is that Biden self destructs and pulls out, and Saunders decides to throw his support to Warren after she beats him in the early states.
Warren Harris ticket... Landslide victory.
Crazy enough?
Administrator

Post 21 Jul 2019, 1:39 pm

Thank you for the recognition, but that was from Dag...

I do wonder about Biden as well, though.
Administrator

Post 15 Aug 2019, 11:28 am

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/14/politics/hickenlooper-presidential-campaign/index.html

Not come to pass...
Emissary

Post 21 Nov 2019, 1:16 pm

Gents,

Long time, no discussion.

I just want to go on record to say that I have donated $100 to who I hope is able to win the Democratic nomination for President.

My $100 beans went to Tulsi Gabbard.

I honestly believe she would be an excellent POTUS.

She is bright as hell, former military with 2 combat tours in Iraq and now Congresswoman for Hawaii.

https://gabbard.house.gov/about

I'm sure many of you will disagree with me about her and I"m interested in hearing why others will disagree but for my money, she's the best candidate the Dems have at the moment.

I could be talked into supporting Yang, though the arguments for would need to be strong. I could see voting for Mayor Pete in spite of some of his recent gaffs with American blacks but this young woman, Tulsi Gabbard is the answer for 2020.

Now, do I think she will win the nomination? No way in hell.

But if she could somehow pull off a miracle and win the Democratic nomination, she could beat Trump.

I encourage all of you to join with me and to support her with your hard earned $$$. Especially if you've had enough of "Agent Orange."

And by the way, as much as the "Orangeman" drives me insane, he has been right about quite a few things. Unlike the majority of democrats I know, I can admit that. Unfortunately, "Tiny Hands" is his own worst enemy and treats others as less than human so I can't bring myself to support him. Though I have thoroughly enjoyed watching one left leaning talking head after the next set their hair on fire due to their inability to control narratives about him.

To quote a fine alien on a planet resembling Tatooine somewhere in a galaxy far, far away,

"I have spoken."