Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 28 Mar 2012, 10:57 am

Sorry guys, I have been here for a VERY long time and enjoyed *almost* every minute but it's now time to say goodbye. I was GM'ing a large NWO game when one player in particular berated me and belittled me far too much. He sucked all the enjoyability out of not just that game but all things Dip. I was first driven from the Politics forum and now driven from the entire site.

I do wish all my friends a good time and I truly do hope things work out tremendously under the new management, you guys really stepped up! So pats on the back all around but sorry to say, my time has come to an end (at least for a long while, maybe I will check back in a year or so?)
Emissary

Post 28 Mar 2012, 11:14 am

The mis-spelling of this title seems almost appropriate. Godbye to a true god of Redscape...

Sorry to see you go Tom. Since I've long since been defeated in NWO I have no idea what the incident you're referring to is all about, but I find it hard to believe anybody could seriously be rude to a host who puts in such a shift as you did.

Hopefully we'll meet again soon. I'm pretty sure you'll be back.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 28 Mar 2012, 11:18 am

There is absolutely no call for berating you Tom, not after the decade of service you've provided to this site. It is simply unacceptable to give a GM a hard time (grounds for a boot from the game IMO), especially one of the hardest working GM's at Redscape. You try adjudicating an NWO game...

Someone needs to be voted off the island.

Hope to see you around again, Tom. You're my go-to when I need a good stiff punch from Chuck's beard!
Administrator

Post 28 Mar 2012, 11:20 am

haha, I DID mis-spell it!
an error? maybe, maybe not?
Dignitary

Post 28 Mar 2012, 11:41 am

Tom, you've truly been one of the Diplomacy Luminaries, not only for Redscape, but for the so-called Hobby, itself. It so happens that I registered on Redscape a whole day before you did, so I understand the "long time" sentiment! I've enjoyed your variants over the years, even though I've been humiliated in each of them.

Well, people come and go (as I have), but I look forward to seeing you on this site some time in the future. If there was a way to give you an award for the hard work you've put into this, I would help get it done. Until then, you'll just have to take my gratitude and thanks.

Are you going out of the Hobby completely, or will you set up shop at another site?
Administrator

Post 28 Mar 2012, 11:52 am

complete drop out for now and I will see how it goes. Honestly, I think everyone needs a break from time to time (so much stabbing!) and I don't know about your registering a day earlier, I was here back before we had real forums back when games were named by number, I found this site back in December of 97 or 98, you may have registered before a re-do when we moved forums? Yes, I will probably be back, but we shall see how long it lasts, if things go real well, then who knows????
Emissary

Post 28 Mar 2012, 4:53 pm

Hope you won't totally disappear, Tom. You might think about signing up for the Facebook group. I'm resolved to remain apolitical there (and I think others share the sentiment), and it's nice to be in touch with old friends. Who knows when we might pull another ftf together one of these days (when I hit the lottery, I'll fly you all to a tropical island for an invitational tourney!)
Dignitary

Post 28 Mar 2012, 7:13 pm

GMTom wrote:complete drop out for now and I will see how it goes. Honestly, I think everyone needs a break from time to time (so much stabbing!) and I don't know about your registering a day earlier, I was here back before we had real forums back when games were named by number, I found this site back in December of 97 or 98, you may have registered before a re-do when we moved forums? Yes, I will probably be back, but we shall see how long it lasts, if things go real well, then who knows????

I reckon I thought you were just referring to Redscape! If Redscape existed in a format prior to this, okey-dokey. I think some places still use Boardman numbers or numbers like them. You're right, though; you have to take a break from this. I've literally seen the game break people, spiritually. Anyway, Tom, best of luck with your family and your other pursuits!
Administrator

Post 28 Mar 2012, 8:56 pm

no facebook for me, maybe some day, one of my kids lives in California and my wife is always showing me her pictures. Eventually I will have to break down and do it ...but not yet!
anyone who wants to fly me to a tropical island, please feel free to do so, contact me by email and heck, I would even set up a facebook account right then and there! do send emails if you like. I will check things in a few months and maybe then I can be forgiven for abandoning my GM responsibilities on the NWO game? I do take that seriously but... lets just leave it at that.
Ambassador

Post 29 Mar 2012, 12:31 am

As I said in the game, Tom, you didn't deserve a load of hassle. I understand why you want to take a break. GMing is fun when it goes well, but players (probably those who have not GM'd much if at all) can forget that it's not always possible to completely avoid error. With the size of NWO and that it is hand adjudicated, more patience is called for.

hope the break is long enough to get your mojo back, but not too long.
Dignitary

Post 29 Mar 2012, 1:51 pm

I just noticed this. it's a shame that someone was entirely ungrateful and rude. I couldn't even commit the time to playing one of those, let alone GM one. I've enjoyed having you as a GM and a player.

Nothing wrong with walking away.
Administrator

Post 29 Mar 2012, 2:20 pm

Tom, Don't leave Redscape! Come join us in the A Game of Thrones. I just started a game, but could be persuaded to see if I could get players for another in a few weeks.
Foreign Minister

Post 29 Mar 2012, 7:33 pm

Never say never. Until the day we share a game again, be well, keep your blade sharp, and go Bills!
Adjutant

Post 10 Apr 2012, 3:04 am

Sad to see Tom go. Been out for a while, I guess I just assumed that redscape, Tom and few others would always be here.
Ambassador

Post 10 Apr 2012, 2:56 pm

danivon wrote:As I said in the game, Tom, you didn't deserve a load of hassle. I understand why you want to take a break. GMing is fun when it goes well, but players (probably those who have not GM'd much if at all) can forget that it's not always possible to completely avoid error. With the size of NWO and that it is hand adjudicated, more patience is called for.

hope the break is long enough to get your mojo back, but not too long.

This site needs a like button.

If you've not GM'd, you can only fantasize about how "easy" it is to GM something that large.