Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 09 Feb 2012, 8:13 am

What does this mean for the three lions? Moar strife? Or is it good riddance...

I wasn't particularly a Capello fan, but his departure is not exactly in ideal conditions.
Ambassador

Post 09 Feb 2012, 10:10 am

I think he had to go. Terry's charges meant him staying as captain was untenable (given he lost it once before for diddling a fellow player's gf). If Capello had a problem with how the FA dealt with it, he should have gone to them first, not to the press.

Not that I think he was that good a manager. England played four awful games in South Africa, but Capello had obtained a lucrative contract already so would have cost too much to sack. Qualifying isn't that difficult with the players he had, but I didn't see much that would give me the impression we could get very far in Poland/Ukraine.

At least him going now means that a replacement has some time to prepare.
Statesman

Post 09 Feb 2012, 10:57 am

If the replacement is Harry Redknap, after the end of the Premier League ..
he'll be going with Capellas prep work. That is the warm up game schedule and the training and residence site in Poland.
All Harry will be doing is team selection and he won't be able to choose Terry if he retires from international.
Plus does Harry want the gig if Tottenham finally makes the Champions League next year?
Gawd Capella was making a mint for a part time job.... Is 9million pounds right? How can that be justified?
Ambassador

Post 09 Feb 2012, 11:12 am

The FA have said that the new coach can be part time if it's shared with a club manager role. They've done it before with Keegan, but he left Fulham to manage England full time after that season ended (and then he messed it up). If Spurs allow it, Harry could start after the next friendly.

And yes, Capello was overpaid.
Dignitary

Post 09 Feb 2012, 3:50 pm

You think Redknapp is the lead candidate, or would he be a personal choice? Who else is in the running?
Ambassador

Post 10 Feb 2012, 1:31 am

Well, the FA does have say over selection and captaincy, Capello's position was actually as head coach.. And whatever you think about the Terry - Ferdinand affair, it is going to court and Terry has been charged. The case won't be heard until after the EC. The FA can't have any effect on court dates, so has to live with that. If anything they should have dropped him completely.
Emissary

Post 15 Feb 2012, 2:28 pm

I think Capello knew exactly what he was doing. The FA made their decision which was something that he didn't really like but if he valued his job he would've kept quiet and soldiered on. However, his contract was up after the Euro tournament anyways and I think he would rather go out on a "standing up for his integrity as a manager" note than on a "disappointing campaign" note.

I do believe that the job is poisonous due to the insane expectations of the English media. However Redknapp would do a good job and he is the right hire to if he is willing to take the job. He probably would pick Scott Parker as his captain and I think he could get better results out of the squad than Capello. The question is will that be good enough for the English media and fans, as this is not an incredible team and they certainly have a low ceiling relative to how expectations will be for 'Arry.
Ambassador

Post 15 Feb 2012, 5:10 pm

My hope is that Harry takes the job, crashes and burns in Poland/Ukraine, and Hodgson takes over. Harry builds up teams around his favourites, while Roy takes what he gets given because he has little choice. When it comes to national management, the latter is (in my opinion) the better way to go.
Emissary

Post 17 Feb 2012, 12:00 am

Unfortunately it seems now that anybody except Redknapp would be on a hiding to nothing. Pretty much everybody in the press and within the game is talking like he's the only candidate, so if they go with somebody else it places that person under enormous pressure from the get go.

I don't like Harry Redknapp very much, don't believe that he was innocent of his tax evasion charges or various other crooked dealings over the years and don't really want him as England manager. That said though, there seems no feasible alternative right now. From a footballing point of view he'd be acceptable, and at least he's English. It's about time we stopped appointing foreign coaches. The sport was invented in England, we have the post popular and successful league in the world and there are thousands of English people who coach football teams. It's time for us to stand or fall on our own resources. If there isn't an Englishman who's competent enough to do the job then so be it, but I see no reason to be so defeatist. You don't have to have half a dozen major trophies on your cv to be a successful international coach. We can find somebody to do the job.
Dignitary

Post 17 Feb 2012, 6:33 am

danivon wrote:My hope is that Harry takes the job, crashes and burns in Poland/Ukraine, and Hodgson takes over. Harry builds up teams around his favourites, while Roy takes what he gets given because he has little choice. When it comes to national management, the latter is (in my opinion) the better way to go.

Could you elaborate on this? As a pure newbie to English Football, how do you quantify these?

One of the standards I am used to, since most of my sports teams are from NY, is how well a coach can handle egos. It seems to me that the egos in England's team can get pretty big.

Who would be the best fit for that? I know he's Scottish, but why not Fergie?
Ambassador

Post 18 Feb 2012, 3:54 am

Well, I personally rate Hodgson as a better tactical manager anyway. Fergie is also a great tactical manager, but I don't think he'd ever want to manage at national level, and England would not be his choice if he ever did (I doubt he'd want the poisoned chalice of Scotland either, to be honest).

But in your terms, Harry Redknapp seems to be to take the approach of pandering to the egos of some players. Which is fine, for a while and for those players, but not for long.
Emissary

Post 18 Feb 2012, 6:33 am

The problem with Hodgson is that he'd likely struggle to deal with the egos of the England squad. For all that England have consistently failed on the bog stage, the squad is full of superstars with inflated egos who are difficult to control at the best of times. Even though Hodgson has managed 3 international teams and had two stints at Inter Milan, his rep in England is as a guy who does an ok job with smaller teams. I can't see the England squad responding too well to him.He'd also have to face a hostile media of course, who all seem to think the sun shines out of Harry's arse.
Ambassador

Post 18 Feb 2012, 3:50 pm

Hence why it would be better for Harry to take the job and make a hash in the Euros, leaving the door open for someone better. It doesn't have to be Hodgson, but I think he's the kind of manager that England needs.
Ambassador

Post 29 Feb 2012, 4:29 pm

Firstly, it is not a 'civil' trial. Terry has been charged and criminal prosecution made by the CPS.

Secondly, a foul by Ferdinand is no excuse for racial abuse. Period.

Thirdly, any national association will have an input into selection and who gets the captaincy.

Lastly, I am not an England fan as much as I am a fan of my club, although I will support England (or Wales, or Ireland). But with the players we have, I can't see us getting to the last 4 at the Euros. Not cynical, just realistic. So I'd rather we got any pain out early so we can build under a good manager for Brazil 14:
Ambassador

Post 08 Mar 2012, 4:14 pm

On precedents...

In September 2001, Terry and three teammates were fined two weeks wages by Chelsea for an incident involving players and American tourists at a Heathrow airport bar in the immediate aftermath of the September 11 attacks.[61][62][63][64] In January 2002 Terry, Chelsea team mate Jody Morris and Des Byrne of Wimbledon were charged with assault and affray after a confrontation with a nightclub bouncer. Terry was banned from selection for the England team for the duration of the case, though he was ultimately cleared of all charges.[65][66][67][68] In the same month, Terry was fined £60 for parking his Bentley in a disabled bay.[69]

From Terry's Wikipedia entry

You'll note that last time he was charged with a criminal offence, he was suspended from the England U21 squad until the trial, and then reinstated when found not guilty.

It's not exactly unusual. Quite a lot of employers have a policy of automatic suspension when particular charges are brought. Managers don't normally get to override it because they like the guy.