Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 24 Aug 2012, 7:26 am

danivon wrote:Mary Poppins clearly did not prepare you for the realities of the British English set of idioms. :smile:

:laugh: so true, so true.

Seriously though, with the Kelly character, it is like she is speaking with a mouth full of socks. I really wonder if that is what the actress really sounds like or is she adding/exaggerating an accent.

I also read that for Series 4 of Misfits, the only returning character is Curtis. He is pretty much my least favorite character on the show.
Ambassador

Post 24 Aug 2012, 8:13 am

I live on the edge of the region her character is from (the 'east midlands'). It's how a lot of people in places like Leicester and Nottingham speak, as well as the actress' native Derby. So the accent is real, although Lauren Socha may be exaggerating her own speech to sound like people she knows from home.

If you are keen to hear more of that accent, I recommend the film This is England, along with it's tv series sequels, set in the East Mids in the 80s. It's a bit harrowing in places, with social and political themes. Lauren's brother has a bit part in the film as a school bully.
Dignitary

Post 24 Aug 2012, 9:53 am

Thanks for the suggestion Dan.

Actually, I do have a slang question for you. The characters sling around a word that phonetically would be spelled @#$!. It sounds like a word used over here. It is a particularly nasty slang for female genitalia and would probably fall somewhere in the top 5 most offensive slang terms. I am curious if it has a different meaning in the U.K. making it more acceptable or if it is just part of the Series pushing the envelope on vulgarity?
Ambassador

Post 24 Aug 2012, 12:04 pm

I can't see that redacted word. I've not watched it for a while and I'm not sure if you mean the c-word or a different one. Certainly there was a fair bit of the f-word and a lot of general rudeness.

It was shown late at night preceded by warnings, and we are a fair bit less hung up on the use of words than we used to be (or the US still is), and frankly, it's not unrealistic compared to reality. Channel 4 has been one of the channels that has always pushed boundaries in the past, and this - like Skins - was part of that.
Dignitary

Post 24 Aug 2012, 3:27 pm

No it is the "T" word. It doesn't really get used all that much over here, at least in my neck of the woods. When it does, it is considered only marginally less offensive then the "C" word.
Ambassador

Post 24 Aug 2012, 4:06 pm

Oh. 'That would affect things' :wink:

That's not really considered to be top-5 rude over here. Pretty mild, really. The c-word is about the rudest you can get for us, but the t-word doesn't really get taken to mean what it literally does. It usually is about the same level of offensiveness as 'idiot' or 'moron', which it's often a synonym for. It's almost a term of endearment sometimes.

Mind you, at times the c-word is used as a term of endearment, but we Brits are weird like that sometimes. We know it's still incredibly offensive.
Dignitary

Post 25 Aug 2012, 11:22 am

Ah, so it is more like the nickname for Richard over here.
Ambassador

Post 27 Sep 2013, 8:56 am

There was going to he a fifth series of The IT Crowd, but as Richard Ayoade and Chris O'Dowd are getting too much other work, it has been changed to a one-off finale episode. Which is being screened tonight over here.

Sigh.
Administrator

Post 27 Sep 2013, 12:51 pm

danivon wrote:There was going to he a fifth series of The IT Crowd, but as Richard Ayoade and Chris O'Dowd are getting too much other work, it has been changed to a one-off finale episode. Which is being screened tonight over here.

Sigh.

No Prob... The American media can take over and screw up a perfectly fine show, just like it did for "The Office".

A shame. I love that show...
Truck Series Driver (Pro II)

Post 01 Oct 2013, 6:22 pm

Adjutant

Post 13 Dec 2013, 9:41 pm

ROFL! that's perfect! (as long as anyone is familiar with the IT crowd guys...seen a few of them on the web)

I agree with the oddity that Americans have to take perfectly good UK shows and remake them into American ones. Kind of crappy of us, IMHO.

No way anyone could redo Yes, Minister. They'd fail completely if they tried, and not just because the form of government would not allow an American "translation", either.

Speaking of which, there was, back in the 1990s, a British serial called "The House of Cards" about this Tory Chief Whip who, being totally pissed off about the new Prime Minister denying him "promotion" to Home Secretary, engineers what amounts to a bloodless coup within the party, and, when the smoke clears, Thatcher's replacement himself resigns and this dude is prime minister. Not that he had it that easy from the beginning; as the Foreign Secretary in the series puts it "we look like a bunch of colonels in a banana republic."

The guy was so incredibly evil he even threw a reporter off of the roof of the House of Commons, no joke. Some it was funny though; like when in the beginning he's talking to himself, looking at a silver-framed photograph of Margaret Thatcher saying "nothing lasts forever...even the longest most glittering reign must come to an end sometime" and puts the photo face down and looks at the camera and smiles (so apparently, the series began with the ouster of the Iron Lady). That I thought was pretty funny, about Thatcher (he even later, as prime minister, tries to defeat a bill to make a statue of her on the grounds of Parliament).

Long story short, one question: is the series with Kevin Spacey, "House of Cards" (no definite article in front of the name) loosely based on the British "The House of Cards" from the 1990s? Because I heard that Spacey's character is a totally evil congressman or something (though, like I pointed out with the case of "Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister", a presidential form of government would not allow for an actual political similarity of an American series based on the British).

Just wondering....
Ambassador

Post 15 Dec 2013, 5:32 am

JimHackerMP wrote:Long story short, one question: is the series with Kevin Spacey, "House of Cards" (no definite article in front of the name) loosely based on the British "The House of Cards" from the 1990s? Because I heard that Spacey's character is a totally evil congressman or something (though, like I pointed out with the case of "Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister", a presidential form of government would not allow for an actual political similarity of an American series based on the British).

Just wondering....
Yes, but loosely. The original was based on the books by Michael Dobbs, a Conservative MP who wrote speeches for Thatcher (although the third series veered off enough for him to disavow it). The US version has the same kind of theme but is different - I have, however, yet to watch the box set sitting on my shelf.