Ok, just another excuse to talk about the Union. But did anyone see the Union v Madrid game? Holy smokes. The U lost 2-1, but played a great game. RM scored 2 goals in the first 10 minutes. Both times the center defenders were caught asleep. But then they woke up. I think the Union were robbed of 2 scoring chances, but they kept pressing, and RM were getting frustrated. Benzema was locked down. Ronaldo was Ronaldo, but he didn't get a lot of good looks. In the second half, both teams started putting in subs. Michael Farfan came in for Daniel. In the 80th minute, Farfan scored to bring it within 1.

The Union had a few good chances to tie it. But just as in MLS, they need some finishing. Michael Farfan's chip was sick. But Ruiz was disappointing--again. Hislop pegged him right. Good goal scorer, but that's all you get. The problem is, he kills 2nd chances. I don't like that. He made a great feed to LeToux in the box, whose shot was parried out. The Union maintained possession but Ruiz made no effort to get onside and back into the play. He stood in the middle of the box until the play fizzled.

Our kids are good. Both times they outplayed they youngsters they faced from better leagues (they beat everton 1-0 on Wednesday on a goal from a 17 y/o newbie). I tihnk the Union are making their case that they can play with the best and the MLS better watch out.

None of the MLS teams won a game, and a few mls teams have ties coming up, but so far the Union have been the best against their competition. LA Galaxy lost 4-1 to the same team and were dominated most of the game. The Union looked like they belonged on the pitch.

On a side note, I have to think that the Union could be the USMNT's farm team in the MLS. Williams, in my opinion, is almost ready for a call-up. Gabe Farfan was great against Ronaldo on the wing and that means something. Michael Farfan can score, and Mwanga shouldn't be looking at a call-up to the Congo any time soon. I doubt he'd play for the country whose gov't killed his father and forced him to flee at 12 or whatever it was.