Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Emissary

Post 26 Jun 2011, 1:48 am

It seems strange to me that the MLS would deliberately avoid the most iconic brandname in North American football. Shrewd marketing is normally a hallmark of all US sports organisations, and it seems as if they missed a trick.
Dignitary

Post 26 Jun 2011, 8:06 am

RUFFHAUS 8 wrote:Well, regardless or whether or not someone holds a copyright to the name Cosmos, MLS specifically did not want the NY team to carry that name in 1996, and the league founders went out of their way to assure that it would not be.

Are you sure about this Randy? I ask because the wikipedia entries for both the original NY Cosmos and the current N.Y. Cosmos make it sound like the MLS wanted to use the name since the 1990's but the Trademark holder would not allow it. The entries say that it wasn't until the MLS started using other NASL names that he changed his mind.
Ambassador

Post 26 Jun 2011, 11:03 am

No comments on the actual game? How did the USA throw away a 2-0 lead? I notice that Cherundolo came off early for the USA, and Salcido only lasted half an hour. Were these substitutions key to the game?