Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 11 Jan 2011, 3:33 pm

So Netflix just advised me I should be receiving my copy of "Piranha (2010)" in the mailbox tomorrow and I'm all giddy. I KNOW it's going to be horribly-bad, but the filmmakers INTENDED the movie to be bad-but-humorous, so I'm looking forward to a good "B" horror flick.

Anybody else love a good "B"-grade horror movie? A great one that comes to mind that's recent is "Dead Snow": a Norwegian film about Nazi zombies that terrorize kids up in a mountain cabin. How can you go wrong with a plot premise like that?!

:zombie:
Ambassador

Post 11 Jan 2011, 3:47 pm

A mate of mine recommended Dead Snow. He said "nothing says 'Christmas' like Nazi Zombies"

I always like the early Peter Jackson stuff like Bad Brains.
Administrator

Post 12 Jan 2011, 9:05 am

I saw a movie waaaay back when in a drive in, just perfect B horror movie stuff and I understand it's a cult classic now...
Motel Hell
Farmer Vincent (I think it was Vincent?) sets traps on the back country road, cars crash and he takes the bodies, buries them up to their necks and force feeds them, he later harvests the bodies turning them into award winning sausage! Terrible movie that was so fun to watch!

oooh, and I see it is available on Netflix in a double set with another b grade supposed classic
Can't go wrong there?
Ambassador

Post 13 Jan 2011, 2:37 am

Bambi is by far the scariest movie ever.
Dignitary

Post 16 Jan 2011, 10:24 pm

I'll have to come back to this thread with more recommendations later on, but for now:

Deep Blue Sea
Evil Dead (1 and 2)
The Hills Have Eyes (original or remake)
Ravenous (not quite horror, but horrific, quirky fun)
Dreamcatcher
Administrator

Post 17 Jan 2011, 11:30 am

Piranha (2010) was entertaining, but not as memorable ("dis-memberable") as "Dead Snow".

Here are some recent recommendations for quality, low-budget horror films:

Let the Right One In (Swedish, 2008, IMDB: 8.1): Brilliant film! One of the best vampire movies out there, by far. No glamorized, "Beverly Hills 90210" vampire tale here.

The Mist (2007, IMDB: 7.4): terrific B-horror film aside from the attempted "twist" at the end; directed by Frank Darabont, same director of "The Shawshank Redemption", "The Green Mile" and the tv series "The Walking Dead"

The Descent (2005, IMDB: 7.4): claustrophobic and entertaining. A great ending!

30 Days of Night (2007, IMDB: 6.6): a final-standoff is cheesy, but the story is (g)ripping.

Pontypool (2008, IMDB: 6.8): "gets more muddled as it goes on" wrote a reviewer, but amazing how much can be suspense can be generated viewing just one room.
Dignitary

Post 19 Jan 2011, 7:07 am

I'll show my age by only suggesting movies from the 70's. The first two I saw when I was a teen. The fact that I still remember them shows the impact they made on me. Both of them freaked me out, seriously, but I'll admit I am a bit of wuss when it comes to this stuff. I won't even go near the modern, gory films.

First is "It's Alive". Mutant baby terrorizes city while Daddy is torn between revulsion and love. I guess it was pretty popular as there were a couple of sequels and a remake in recent years.

Second is "Squirm". Lighting creates/provokes carnivorous earthworms in backwoods Georgia. Silly, but the images of worms burrowing into flesh still remains with me.

Finally, the most harmless horror movie ever has to be "Frogs." It stars Ray Milland, who has been in so many classic bad movies. In a nutshell, a disfunctional family on some old plantation down South is attacked by hordes of frogs. This movie features ZERO special effects. The frogs hop menacingly at people, and then the camera cuts away, and then we see the poor victim lying on the ground with frogs on and around them. My girls and I couldn't stop laughing. (This one is streaming on Netflix.)