Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 29 Nov 2016, 8:37 am

OK yes. I asked you before I was playing yesterday and took a city from the Aztecs. He only had some sort of ranged unit stationed in it so it wasn't too difficult; I ended up not really needing a siege weapon, only some crossbowmen. Pretty lucky I guess. (He's been pretty blaze, he needed to be knocked down a peg!)
Adjutant

Post 03 Dec 2016, 5:34 am

Who's your favorite Civ to play on Civ 6, and why? :)
Ambassador

Post 18 Apr 2017, 11:09 am

JimHackerMP wrote:Who's your favorite Civ to play on Civ 6, and why? :)

I've played several as I've been learning how to respond to the Barbarians (in my initial games, they gave me some crazy trouble). Scythia was fun. I think that was my first religious victory. I didn't intend it, but . . . Sparta was excellent.

I'm trying to get some of the mods to work (CQUI) because some of what annoys me in this game really needs fixed--like a production queue.

I like the game, but it's still not as much fun as 2 or 4--at least not yet.
Adjutant

Post 19 Apr 2017, 6:02 pm

Hmmm I had 5 with Gods and Kings, and Brave New World. I loved playing it. VI is a little weird but neat. I haven't got to the end yet. I usually restart after a while when I'm way behind everyone else. Guess I'm a shitty ruler.
Ambassador

Post 19 Apr 2017, 6:22 pm

JimHackerMP wrote:Hmmm I had 5 with Gods and Kings, and Brave New World. I loved playing it. VI is a little weird but neat. I haven't got to the end yet. I usually restart after a while when I'm way behind everyone else. Guess I'm a shitty ruler.

I played on lower levels to get the hang of it. Slowing it down helped too.

Focus on techs you've boosted. Hit the barbarians early and often. Do not attack city-States if you can avoid it because they spam trash units. It almost always pays to attack a competitor early on, or to cheer when they attack you.
Adjutant

Post 19 Apr 2017, 7:19 pm

OK good advice :)

I hope they put out an expansion pack that has the World Congress or UN in it. I liked proposing resolutions to Congress/UN that other civs would like or would piss them off; and I found out (eventually) that you could diplomatically pressure the other leaders into voting for them as a trade. Neat. So I hope to see that.

I do not like that there are only a few Great Prophets (limited number) that can be earned, not like V, where you earned one as long as you accumulated enough faith. After a while it makes earning faith less useful since you cannot promote a religion of your own, since the number of prophets that can be born by everyone is limited. Don't like that.

I like playing Gilgamesh so far. The ziggurats your builders can pump out increase the amount of science you can earn and that's neat.

I'm not sure if they city-states are as useful in VI as they were in V.
Ambassador

Post 19 Apr 2017, 7:51 pm

JimHackerMP wrote:OK good advice :)

I hope they put out an expansion pack that has the World Congress or UN in it. I liked proposing resolutions to Congress/UN that other civs would like or would piss them off; and I found out (eventually) that you could diplomatically pressure the other leaders into voting for them as a trade. Neat. So I hope to see that.

I do not like that there are only a few Great Prophets (limited number) that can be earned, not like V, where you earned one as long as you accumulated enough faith. After a while it makes earning faith less useful since you cannot promote a religion of your own, since the number of prophets that can be born by everyone is limited. Don't like that.

I like playing Gilgamesh so far. The ziggurats your builders can pump out increase the amount of science you can earn and that's neat.

I'm not sure if they city-states are as useful in VI as they were in V.

To get a proper, pick the God-king policy. Read this. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... ities-4879

City-States do help. You want them as vassals. They will attack anyone who attacks you. Also, pay attention to the bonuses each gives you even before vassal status.
Adjutant

Post 19 Apr 2017, 8:30 pm

Yeah, I typically "double down" on the envoys to city-states, but I try to clump more envoys into fewer city-states than just evenly distributing them to try to get as many as possible. I figured quality > quantity.
Ambassador

Post 20 Apr 2017, 6:15 am

JimHackerMP wrote:Yeah, I typically "double down" on the envoys to city-states, but I try to clump more envoys into fewer city-states than just evenly distributing them to try to get as many as possible. I figured quality > quantity.

To a point. However, the first envoy can provide you with bonuses in your capital. Early in the game, those can be huge.
Adjutant

Post 06 May 2017, 12:37 pm

How much have you been playing it lately? Have you gotten to nuclear weapons yet?
Ambassador

Post 06 May 2017, 1:07 pm

JimHackerMP wrote:How much have you been playing it lately? Have you gotten to nuclear weapons yet?

Tbh, I've never built one. Then again, I've only now started the King level.
Adjutant

Post 06 May 2017, 2:56 pm

sheesh. I was playing 4th level (prince?) and three other civs declared war on me simultaneously.
Ambassador

Post 06 May 2017, 3:20 pm

JimHackerMP wrote:sheesh. I was playing 4th level (prince?) and three other civs declared war on me simultaneously.

Yup, I've had that happen.

The AI is kind of dumb. They usually declare war even while they are besieged by barbarians and under-armed. I was playing Poland in one game and 3 nations (Spain, Germany, and Japan) declared war. I took each of them out. It wasn't even that hard.

You have to be ready for it. Your exterior cities have to have some kind of defense--enough to stop any bad guys until you can send troops to the rescue.