Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 26 Mar 2016, 11:36 pm

I never saw this Spike Lee film before. Edward Norton is a drug dealer living his last 24 hours on the outside before going to prison. The film looks at his relationship with his two best friends, his girlfriend, his father and his regrets at having messed up his life. His F-you speech about New Yorkers--the film was made in 2002--is priceless. Check it out if you haven't seen it. Besides Edward Norton there is Phillip Seymour-Hoffman, the sniper from Saving Private Ryan, the guy who played one of the bad CIA guys in the Jason Bourne films.
Ambassador

Post 27 Mar 2016, 10:18 am

freeman3 wrote:I never saw this Spike Lee film before. Edward Norton is a drug dealer living his last 24 hours on the outside before going to prison. The film looks at his relationship with his two best friends, his girlfriend, his father and his regrets at having messed up his life. His F-you speech about New Yorkers--the film was made in 2002--is priceless. Check it out if you haven't seen it. Besides Edward Norton there is Phillip Seymour-Hoffman, the sniper from Saving Private Ryan, the guy who played one of the bad CIA guys in the Jason Bourne films.

Definitely a very good film, I totally concur with your recommendation.

And Philip Seymour Hoffman is always good.
Administrator

Post 28 Mar 2016, 11:00 am

PSH ...a local boy from Rochester. At least SOMEONE has done well from this burg. he really is pretty darned good, especially when he plays the bad guy. I will try to keep my eye open for that movie.
Adjutant

Post 04 Apr 2016, 2:17 pm

The screenplay was adapated (by the author himself) from a novel of the same title by David Benioff. He's a very good writer. His other book, City of Thieves, is one I strongly recommend, for anyone who likes historical novels of any kind. The setting is WWII during the Siege of Leningrad, a young boy has to go "out", behind enemy lines, to search for eggs for an NKVD officer. It's a fantastic coming of age story, and the implication is that the story might be based an real life event from the childhood of the author's grandfather.