Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 06 Jul 2015, 12:00 pm

GMTom wrote:no doubt plotting his fathers demise?
If he isn't, I will be disappointed!

and in all seriousness, the day your kid beats you (for real) at something is one of those happy/sad experiences. Happy they are growing and getting good at whatever that task was but sad in your own getting older and less important to them. But you did your job in passing along your knowledge and experience. See how much you have to look forward to!?
I need to get through the likely colic first!
Dignitary

Post 06 Jul 2015, 4:13 pm

danivon wrote:I need to get through the likely colic first!

My second had colic. It was the longest 3 months of my life.
Ambassador

Post 06 Jul 2015, 5:57 pm

Archduke Russell John wrote:
danivon wrote:I need to get through the likely colic first!

My second had colic. It was the longest 3 months of my life.

so did my eldest ... it was incredibly hard ... she's a joy now.
Administrator

Post 07 Jul 2015, 11:14 am

My oldest had it, I don't know how many late nights were spent in the reclining chair sleeping with her on my chest while Mom caught a few Z's of her own.
Should you run into this problem, we did find a bit of a "cure"
We propped up her crib so she slept at a bit of an incline, that seemed to help a LOT.
My wife also discovered "the hold", a position that immediately calmed a finicky baby down almost immediately (our young neighbors call her the baby whisperer after she shared this gem with them)
Hold the baby so that your hand is under their chest and your thumb/pointer finger support their chin a bit, it looks crazy but the babies love it, it takes pressure off their belly and they get to see what's going on, I think they desire to know what's going on all around them as well and this allows them to be inquisitive (always a good thing?) Funny thing too, my wife developed freaking "guns" on her arms, to this day she still has well defined arm muscles (not gross muscle bound stuff, just well defined nice arms)
Ambassador

Post 23 Jul 2015, 12:40 pm

Congratulations, Owen! (I rarely check the "other" forums).

I'll warn you right now about the toughest moments:

1. When you have him all to yourself and he decides, for no apparent reason, to just cry. You pull out every trick and . . . he keeps crying. At that moment, may I offer this comfort: cherish the moment. They're only little for a short time. One day, you'll want that painful moment back.

2. When you realize he's doing all these things and you only get to see glimpses of them. Just resolve to see as many glimpses as you can without turning into a video camera operator (the trend of "helicopter parenting" comes to mind).

3. When he moves out on his own. Oh, you may think this will be euphoria. It will be--for about two days. On the plus side, it's kind of cool when you get to be the advice-giver as he makes his biggest decisions (and asks).

Without being a parent, you never make it to the best thing in life: being a grandparent. :)

Footnote: is "Ynyr" pronounced "In-eer?"
Ambassador

Post 23 Jul 2015, 1:40 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:Footnote: is "Ynyr" pronounced "In-eer?"
The first "Y" is pronounced as a "U" as in "umbrella". The second one is more like a "y".

Welsh is a bit like that.
Ambassador

Post 23 Jul 2015, 2:08 pm

danivon wrote:
Doctor Fate wrote:Footnote: is "Ynyr" pronounced "In-eer?"
The first "Y" is pronounced as a "U" as in "umbrella". The second one is more like a "y".

Welsh is a bit like that.

Love the name. I'm used to a bit of uniqueness. I have all manner of grandchild names. The unique factor has become as common as the commonality of names used to be.
Ambassador

Post 24 Jul 2015, 12:04 pm

GMTom wrote:My oldest had it, I don't know how many late nights were spent in the reclining chair sleeping with her on my chest while Mom caught a few Z's of her own.
We propped up her crib so she slept at a bit of an incline, that seemed to help a LOT.

This is probably because what people tend to refer to as "colic" (which actually doesn't mean anything) is actually reflux. Not saying yours had it for sure, but a lot of babies get it. My 4.5 year old is still taking medication for it, but we're hoping to ween her off it soon. In any case, propping her up would have helped if she did have a little bit of reflux. Something to think about for all the new parents.

Also, grats Danivon! Welcome to the best and most exhausting part of your life. :)
Ambassador

Post 24 Jul 2015, 12:09 pm

Sendric wrote:
GMTom wrote:My oldest had it, I don't know how many late nights were spent in the reclining chair sleeping with her on my chest while Mom caught a few Z's of her own.

This is probably because what people tend to refer to as "colic" (which actually doesn't mean anything) is actually reflux. Not saying yours had it for sure, but a lot of babies get it. My 4.5 year old is still taking medication for it, but we're hoping to ween her off it soon. In any case, propping her up would have helped if she did have a little bit of reflux. Something to think about for all the new parents.

Also, grats Danivon! Welcome to the best and most exhausting part of your life. :)

Worth a check. My sister's kids have been on medication for just that.
Ambassador

Post 26 Jul 2015, 9:57 pm

Sendric wrote:

My understanding is that reflux is when they can't keep it down, or get stomach indigestion, but colic is trapped wind in the intestines/colon. Neither are nice.