Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 01 Jul 2015, 4:51 am

Hey guys, a few of you have been through this already, so have am idea what I am feeling right now.

Solomon Ynyr Reuben Richards was born this morning at 5.12BST, weighing in at 8lb12oz. He is, naturally, the most beautiful thing in the world (except for my wife - but he has her nose luckily).

It was not smooth, but he is fine and his mother is resting well. I am having beer, and then a nap, and then back to see them.

And then I will give my dad the biggest hug I can.
Ambassador

Post 01 Jul 2015, 5:44 am

Welcome to the club and mazel tov ... I like (and am surprised by) the biblical name. May he be as wise as his namesake.
Ambassador

Post 01 Jul 2015, 6:08 am

Thanks, RJ.

Ray Jay wrote:Welcome to the club and mazel tov ... I like (and am surprised by) the biblical name. May he be as wise as his namesake.
Solomon is a family name from my wife's Jamaican side. But my dad's family also had a Jewish naming thing going on. Ynyr is for our joint Welsh heritage and my sister-in-law came up with it. Reuben is for the man who my wife thinks of as her surrogate dad.
Ambassador

Post 01 Jul 2015, 7:08 am

danivon wrote:Thanks, RJ.

Ray Jay wrote:Welcome to the club and mazel tov ... I like (and am surprised by) the biblical name. May he be as wise as his namesake.
Solomon is a family name from my wife's Jamaican side. But my dad's family also had a Jewish naming thing going on. Ynyr is for our joint Welsh heritage and my sister-in-law came up with it. Reuben is for the man who my wife thinks of as her surrogate dad.

It's all good ... Solomon, welcome to our wonderful (and improvable) planet. You will be a blessing.
Administrator

Post 01 Jul 2015, 8:20 am

Blessing to you and yours. May he grow up as wise and intuitive as his father! May the many fine traits of his mother come shining through!

Congratulations. Welcome to the new world of Fatherhood.
Administrator

Post 01 Jul 2015, 11:24 am

Congrats!
suddenly you feel the weight of the world upon your shoulders. Now you need to provide for this helpless little human being who will (for a while) look at you as superman! It's pretty awesome stuff even if it does feel a bit mind-numbing!

When you take him home without an owners manual, you will feel like a complete moron, that will go away but just when you think you have things figured out, you go and do something really stupid. That's what being a dad is all about! Just make it LOOK like you have it under control and all will be cool.
Ambassador

Post 01 Jul 2015, 1:14 pm

GMTom wrote:Congrats!
suddenly you feel the weight of the world upon your shoulders. Now you need to provide for this helpless little human being who will (for a while) look at you as superman! It's pretty awesome stuff even if it does feel a bit mind-numbing!

When you take him home without an owners manual, you will feel like a complete moron, that will go away but just when you think you have things figured out, you go and do something really stupid. That's what being a dad is all about! Just make it LOOK like you have it under control and all will be cool.

Pretty much what my dad told me today.
Dignitary

Post 02 Jul 2015, 4:03 pm

Congratulations Owen (sorry but I felt this rated a real name usage)..

Being a father is the best thing that ever happened to me. I look at my girls every day and think holy sh!t I can't believe how great they are. Then I think please don't f' them up too bad.

Based on your comment about hugging your dad, you also had the same experience I had with the birth of my oldest. Finally understanding just how much your parents love you. Everybody knows their parents love them but I don't think there is a real understand of just how much until you have your own kids.

Oh and enjoy the nap. It will be the last solid sleep you get for at least 6 months.
Ambassador

Post 02 Jul 2015, 4:50 pm

Archduke Russell John wrote:Congratulations Owen (sorry but I felt this rated a real name usage)..
I never had a problem with it, myself, but others do and that's OK. But this is human moment.

Being a father is the best thing that ever happened to me. I look at my girls every day and think holy sh!t I can't believe how great they are. Then I think please don't f' them up too bad.
I am 40, and I don't know how young kids cope with it.

Based on your comment about hugging your dad, you also had the same experience I had with the birth of my oldest. Finally understanding just how much your parents love you. Everybody knows their parents love them but I don't think there is a real understand of just how much until you have your own kids.
Also because when I was born there was a complication and he had to wait outside, and for this one we needed an emergency c-section and I was also out of.the room for what was the worst 5 minutes of my life.

Oh and enjoy the nap. It will be the last solid sleep you get for at least 6 months.
He's only a day old and has sussed how to press my buttons. I will be a happy zombie
Last edited by danivon on 02 Jul 2015, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dignitary

Post 02 Jul 2015, 5:04 pm

danivon wrote:I am 40, and I don't know how young kids cope with it.

I think you have to be young because the young can operate on less sleep. I was 37 and 39 for my two. It's why we only have 2. I was so tired I couldn't imagine trying to do the lack of sleep when I was older. :sleep:

danivon wrote:He's only a day old and has sussed how to press my buttons. I will be a happy zombie

It only gets worse as the get older. I always said I was going to be a real strict father. Now my girls at 9 & 7 just have to smile at me and I totally give in.
Administrator

Post 02 Jul 2015, 9:33 pm

I'm 51 and have 5 kids. My youngest is 4! I'm right there with the youngsters.
Ambassador

Post 02 Jul 2015, 11:54 pm

Physically, the young parents can take it. I meant emotionally.
Ambassador

Post 03 Jul 2015, 6:28 am

danivon wrote:Physically, the young parents can take it. I meant emotionally.

That's the trade off. I was 40 and 43 for my two. We were able to handle it emotionally, but it was tougher physically.

BTW, sleep deprivation has been an effective torture technique for centuries.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 03 Jul 2015, 7:57 am

Congratulations!

May your son quickly learn the joys of ordering colored wooden blocks around a map of Europe whilst plotting his enemy's demise.
Administrator

Post 06 Jul 2015, 9:13 am

no doubt plotting his fathers demise?
and in all seriousness, the day your kid beats you (for real) at something is one of those happy/sad experiences. Happy they are growing and getting good at whatever that task was but sad in your own getting older and less important to them. But you did your job in passing along your knowledge and experience. See how much you have to look forward to!?