Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Statesman

Post 23 Jun 2015, 6:51 am

I was wondering if the WWC 2015 has been covered or followed around the world and what everyone's perception of the competition is....
So far, the one thing that's interesting is that the gap between the super powers and the other qualifiers seems to have narrowed. The US had a ton of trouble with Australia, and 10 player Columbia...
Brazil went down to Australia. And France lost to Columbia....
Only Ecuador was blown out.

Second. Its hard to say who's the likely winner... Germany?
Statesman

Post 26 Jun 2015, 11:31 am

ruffhaus
Hope Solo still looks to be the best goalkeeper in the world.

Two enormous saves against Australia.... Saved the US's bacon. You might be right.

ruffhaus
Abby Wambach is a shadow of herself these days, and it's a disgrace to US Soccer that they are still trotting her out. I love her game, but she's way past her prime, and should have been replaced by now

Or perhaps used as a late replacement ... She is still extremely useful on set pieces.
Perhaps Both US and Canada have the same problem with holding onto too many veteran "icons" at the expense of younger talent...

ruffhaus
Canada did not look impressive against China in the opener, and eerily similar to the USA, they appear to be reliant upon the same players from four years ago just like the USA, while many other nations appear to actually be developing programs rather than a sorority house. I'll give you Christie Sinclair as a special player that transcends an era, but the fact that Melissa Tancredi is still starting for Canada speaks volumes about their failure to improve and develop players.

Actually the four best players for Canada have been 4 rookies. (2 19, 1 20 and 1 23). Buchanan has been perhaps the best defender in the tournament....
I agree with you about Tancredi but there are at least two better, younger players on the bench. Its not down to development but Heardman's seeming reluctance to turn over the spot to the new crew....Same as US...
And Sinclair hasn't been great, at least until Belanger came out of the fullback position back to striker to give her a genuinely good partner.
Can, but might not beat England. I'd say its 60/40...
US will beat China. 90%
Statesman

Post 02 Jul 2015, 8:28 am

Japan had a weak second half against England. (Although England was fortunate to be tied due to an atrocious call for the penalty.)

If the US plays like they did against Germany and Japan plays like the second half it will be the US.
Ambassador

Post 02 Jul 2015, 10:25 am

rickyp wrote:Japan had a weak second half against England. (Although England was fortunate to be tied due to an atrocious call for the penalty.)

If the US plays like they did against Germany and Japan plays like the second half it will be the US.

A very tough play for the UK captain. I don't see how she ever gets over that.
Dignitary

Post 02 Jul 2015, 5:06 pm

Ray Jay wrote:A very tough play for the UK captain. I don't see how she ever gets over that.

I agree, though it appears as if she isn't getting crucified over it. Got to respect that.

If that were here (and by here I mean Philadelphia) the vitriol would be so bad she would be afraid to be seen in public.