Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 19 Jun 2015, 9:12 pm

OK I've set up a game on acts called "Demo: George v. Colin". I am three of the factions, you are the other three. That way we can mess around with it from there. Good idea?
Dignitary

Post 19 Jun 2015, 9:40 pm

JimHackerMP wrote:Actually it's a reference to Monty Python's The Life of Bryan. Roman Governor of Judaea province, Pontius Pilate, has a speech impediment. "...but, I have a vewy good fwiend in Wome named [cough].." (can't explain the rest; you'll just have to see the movie LOL).

No, I really DID mean Princess Bride - Peter Cook as the Priest, in fact., has a pronounced lisp. Okay, you got me with the words. Good link. I was only thinking of the lisp, itself. I've watched LoB many times and it is a hoot, indeed, especially the "What's Rome ever done for us?!" scene. But I forgot Pilate had a lisp. Thanks for that.

Okay, I'll look for your account. When I was up there, I saw no way to do currency or prosecute wars, etc.
Dignitary

Post 19 Jun 2015, 9:41 pm

JimHackerMP wrote:OK I've set up a game on acts called "Demo: George v. Colin". I am three of the factions, you are the other three. That way we can mess around with it from there. Good idea?

So Colin is your real handle and Jim Hacker is just the tv character, then?
Dignitary

Post 19 Jun 2015, 9:46 pm

JimHackerMP wrote:OK I've set up a game on acts called "Demo: George v. Colin". I am three of the factions, you are the other three. That way we can mess around with it from there. Good idea?

I don't understand how to move from one character to the next one
Adjutant

Post 20 Jun 2015, 5:03 pm

Sorry, one character from the next one? Oh, my LOGIN name is JimHackerMP. I'm sorry, I thought it would show up with me as Jim Hacker, M.P., but it doesn't. My bad, buddy.

Oh no wait, you mean move from one FACTION name to the next one? So you can log in as that faction? Hmmm wait one and let me figure that out, OK? I did it last night and it worked. I was able to login as Wreath, and then as another of my factions. OK it went over my head what you meant by that, lol.

Keeping track of wars and such are best done on a thing such as Cyberboard (or here on Redscape) or something. But when you "draw" a war (just out of curiosity, how many games of ROR have you played before? How many in person vesus how many online?) when you draw a card, privately, and it's a war, it shows it for all to see. Like "Wreath drew 2ND MACEDONIAN WAR/[something or other]" I forget exactly how but you'll see as we screw around with it.

Let me log back in & then I'll let you know how to change from one faction to another.

Bummer it doesn't let us name our factions by a personal name. When we played on Redscape my faction name was usually "Cloaca Maxima"....which I felt was an accurate description of Senatorial politics! (Rome's "great sewer" which drained the forum, as well as Rome's yuckiness into the tiber for years. Perhaps we should built one under capitol hill, in Washington? LOL)

Get back to you in one sec, bud...
Adjutant

Post 20 Jun 2015, 5:33 pm

OK, log into the account, and go down to Current Games. Under "Republic of Rome" click on "1 game". Click on the name of the game you want (the only one there of course: "Demo: George v. Colin".

It will say "Choose Login Side" and it will list the three factions I've given you (mine are Wreath, Moon, and Hand; you can choose between Shield, Crown and Eagle, to login as---it will only show the ones I have set you up as.)

I will send further messages thru the game journal ok buddy?
Adjutant

Post 20 Jun 2015, 6:13 pm

I've sent a bunch of messages thru the system as you can see. If you prefer, I can keep all communication of this game through there, for now. And I'll be making up the Word file I can pass between us once we have our senators announced, the TRC appointed by mortality chit draw, and then our faction leaders chosen.

Currently, according to Section III of the rules (Scenarios/Setup/Initial Faction Phase) there are 4 legions in the Active box, no provinces in the forum, and no provinces in the forum yet, as they are created by the Punic and other wars...I'll have all this info on the Word file.
Dignitary

Post 20 Jun 2015, 9:24 pm

JimHackerMP wrote:just out of curiosity, how many games of ROR have you played before? How many in person vesus how many online?)

Well, I suppose I've played about a dozen games over the years, mostly some years ago, when it was still AH's game. I remember when I first saw the AH game and it really grieved me, because while I was in grad school I had been designing a game of Rome around the political side of things, rather than just another military game. I suppose that came about because I was doing my graduate work in ancient art history and ancient history, so Rome was always on my mind.

So, I got the game and taught it to my gaming group and we proceeded to play. I also did a few games on Redscape when they first introduced it. Afraid I don't recall who I was back then.

Looking through the LR, it looks pretty close to the original game with more explanations. I've also learned that there are two sets of Living Rules: one for AH and one for VG. And it appears the ACTS setup is also based on the AH game.

By the way, I downloaded VASSAL and some RoR modules and trying to figure out how this system works. Have you used it for RoR or other games? I checked out the Caesar at Alesia mod and it looked pretty nice. Sorry, getting off topic.
George
Dignitary

Post 20 Jun 2015, 9:29 pm

JimHackerMP wrote:I've sent a bunch of messages thru the system as you can see. If you prefer, I can keep all communication of this game through there, for now. And I'll be making up the Word file I can pass between us once we have our senators announced, the TRC appointed by mortality chit draw, and then our faction leaders chosen.

Currently, according to Section III of the rules (Scenarios/Setup/Initial Faction Phase) there are 4 legions in the Active box, no provinces in the forum, and no provinces in the forum yet, as they are created by the Punic and other wars...I'll have all this info on the Word file.

Thanks, I do appreciate the information. The interface leaves something to be desired, but with some practice, I'll probably get a better handle on the site's mechanics.

George
Adjutant

Post 20 Jun 2015, 10:00 pm

Since this isn't pertinent to our particular game I'll send it here:

I am not sure but they might have altered the program slightly to be in line with the VG rules. But in all truth, there isn't much (or anything) that needs to be changed to suit the VG rules at all. I'm pretty sure. There are very few changes, but I believe them to be "good changes". And you're right: they explain things better. There were many ambiguities in the rules of AH edition which prompted lots of questions to AH staff, giving rise to the "living rules" once they had gone kaput as a company.

Stick to the VG rules then, that's what we were always using when I played a couple-few games on ACTS. The only differences would be that the provincial cards of the VG edition use the Latin: Hispania Ulterior instead of Further Spain for instance. And the rule about making a matching war immediately an "imminent war" instead of an active one, could really save us when we're overwhelmed with wars.

The thing I like is that it makes the random dice rolls that we need, fairly and in front of everyone without having to trust that a neutral person is actually doing them fairly. I haven't seen a program for one that could be plugged into Redscape. Though I could be wrong.
Dignitary

Post 21 Jun 2015, 6:21 am

One thing that is a problem if you (or I) plan to play: Treasury. Now personal treasury is private, as is everybody's hand. How can we manage the game when we know the cards? And what about personal treasury? Either we know all of it or we leave it to them to divvy up, themselves and trust them when they say Senator X has 10 Talents and Senator Y has 5.
george
Adjutant

Post 21 Jun 2015, 7:39 am

No that's not right. The FACTION treasuries are private. Personal treasuries, etc, are open to inspection. and I cannot see any of your cards unless you play them.

Besides, even if there were a way to keep Faction Treasuries private, as Ray did on Redscape, an observant player can always guess--if not actually know--how much you're putting in your faction treasury based on how you reallocate, and doing the math in his head, even approximately, based on how much you have left on your senators, etc, what you've spent.

When we played on acts before I don't recall a way of doing private Faction treasuries on cyberboard, etc. And personally I never saw any ponit to that one, really, since personal treasuries, the really important part, are open to inspection.
Adjutant

Post 21 Jun 2015, 7:54 am

more on faction/personal treasuries....
the VG ed. comes with these neat little boxes that have little wheels/windows to show # votes your faction controls, as well as a lid for the faction treasury. It shows on top of the lid, the following reminder:

Faction Treasury:
1. defending against persuasion attempts
2. paying maintenance on rebel troops
Personal treasuries:
1. bidding on initiatives (when >6 players)
2. offensive persuasion attempts
3. knights attraction
4. donations to the State
5. sponsoring games
6. buying votes
7. bribing legions
Dignitary

Post 21 Jun 2015, 5:37 pm

Yeah, I did write that all jumbled up/backwards. I reckon my point was the integrity involved in knowing what everybody's money is. Well, your point is taken that, as in FTF, you can estimate the faction treasury if you are keeping a close eye on things during the game.

Okay, I see updates on ACTS, so I'm heading over there.
Dignitary

Post 21 Jun 2015, 6:14 pm

Okie-dokie. I have the FLs assigned, a few concessions, a question or two, and the Mortality Chit selected (Manlius).

Father's Day was more active today than I had expected!

BTW what is your Time Zone? I am in Minneapolis so I am Central Daylight