Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 16 Mar 2014, 12:57 pm

Well, here we are...

My Cal Bears are squarely on the bubble. I fear we are going to get the most disappointing spot of all: a #1 seed in the NIT.

Anyways, is anybody else interested in filling out a bracket and doing some sort of pool? We could do it on ESPN/yahoo, one of those sites, or I guess we could come up with our own system and just keep score here.

I guess we'd need at least 10-15 or so to make it fun.
Administrator

Post 16 Mar 2014, 2:21 pm

I am in! Go Zags!!!
Administrator

Post 17 Mar 2014, 8:13 am

not a bad draw for Gonzaga?
They have a tough #9 seed, but Oklahoma State has not played well, yeah, they got Smart back and starting winning a few games again, but they lost when tourney birth was at stake! they snuck in anyways. So that game, while not easy (no 8vs9 game is easy) it could be worse! Then they go against #1 and they face Arizona, again, a number one is going to be a good team, but they lost a lot of swagger and beat up on a weak Pac12 conference so it certainly could be an upset in the making!?

sure why not?
...go Zags! (but I will not have them going too very far on my sheet)

just a few short weeks ago I was high as a kite, Syracuse was what 25-0? But Tommy is the kiss of death, I was at the game where they first lost and they have continued to lose .. a LOT since then! (the school sent me a note asking me to never come again ...at least they should send me one) And to some bad teams at that. Syracuse can beat any team out there but to string those wins together to go very far??? Gonna be hard to do when they do such a piss poor job of rebounding and lackluster scoring. Terrific defense can/will win a game or two, but they simply can't pull it off as I would love to see.
Adjutant

Post 17 Mar 2014, 4:32 pm

Why is the PAC-12 conference a weak conference? In non-conference, Arizona beat three current top-10 teams in the non-conference, Colorado beat Kansas, Stanford beat UConn, and Oregon was ranked in the top ten. We beat each other up in the conference and all of a sudden we're a weak conference...The PAC-12 did get 6 teams into the tornament....
I have to laugh at Wichita State getting a #1 seed...they played nobody, absolutely nobody and they get a #1....And their coach acts they are the best team in the country--wait until they have to go through Kemtucky, Louisville, and Michigan (teams that have more NBA players on their bench than W. . State has in their starting line-up)yeah, they made it to the Final Four last year but they are not the underdog anymore and it would be, uh shocking if they made it back.
Watch out for UCLA! Kyle Anderson is a 6'9 point forward who is very unselfish but as the year on took more advantage of his size to score at will when the offense sputtered; Jordan Adams is a superb defender, good scorer, and very good mid-range shooter coming off of screens; Jordan Powell is a good defender and very good at taking to the rim, particularly in transition; the Wear twins are finesse inside guys but they play hard and they both can really shoot; Tony Parker is a bit raw but can be really effective in the low-post and giving us some physical play inside; Zach Lavine can jump out of the building and has a good outside shot (particularly off of the dribble in rhythm); and Bryce Alford can shoot and is a good ballhandler but limited athletically.
Our offense is really good (top 10 or so in pts, fg%, and assists); not great defensively but we are third in country in steals. We also shoot free throws well (75%), which can really help in close games (this is Arizona's Achilles heel btw; I don't think they will make it to Final Four because of it)
We had some trouble in the conference because teams were slowing it down and making us play defense for 35 seconds and although we're a good shooting team, that basket can get really small when you're down, on the road and the other team is slowing the game down. I think we made some adjustments (getting shots closer to the basket and having slo-mo (Kyle Anderson) take over when a basket is needed. We crushed Oregon and Stanford in the tournament and beat Arizona, a top 5 school (we scored more points in the first half against 'zona's #1 defense than they gave up in each of the first two games of the tournament)
Still have some worries that a slow-down team will frustrate us or that against a top tier team we will get tired if our young bench doesn't get us anything but otherwise I really like our chances...
Do you hear that, Florida? That's UCLA coming for you in the Sweet 16--it's payback time!
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 17 Mar 2014, 5:49 pm

Redscape group set up at ESPN:

http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2014/en/game

Group name: Redscape
Password: Diplomacy
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 18 Mar 2014, 6:10 am

Up to ten and counting....
Dignitary

Post 18 Mar 2014, 7:46 am

SLOTerp wrote:Up to ten and counting....

This I can do. Picking up Stratomatic Baseball, was just too much. Besides, I was an APBA guy growing up. http://apbagames.com/
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 19 Mar 2014, 1:31 pm

You've got till about noon EDT tomorrow (Thursday) to join the group and get your picks in!

http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2014/en/game

Group name: Redscape
Password: Diplomacy