Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 25 Mar 2011, 1:49 pm

Ok, it's a week late, but my top 4 predictions are:

Eastern:
1. DC Pew-nited: the additions they've made will help them immensely. I think they're going to surprise people and win the conference.
2. Pink Cow New Jersey: Second could be a disappointment, but I don't see them winning. They don't seem to have a strong team mentality.
3. DOOP - I'm going out on a limb and saying that the Union will be in third. They have improved on every front, and most notably, Mondragon is a MUCH better GK than Seitz or Knighton. It's not just ability, but his leadership should prove tremendous.
4. Columbus - The crew are still a very good team, and will probably make the playoffs.

Western:
1. LA - Supporters shield again with no cup?
2. Real Salt Lake - they've been pretty solid for several years, and I don't see a reason to dethrone them yet.
3. Dallas - They could actually win the conference, imo, but I'm picking them third.
4. Colorado - The champs will make the playoffs, but won't repeat, or come close. They're the opposite of Pink Cow NJ. Not as much "talent" but a solid team.

Others who might make it up there:
Sporting KC, San Jose, Vancouver

Cup winner: DOOP!
Dignitary

Post 26 Mar 2011, 2:28 pm

I am surprised you think DC made that big of changes that they are going from worst to first. Also I am watching the Union game right now and I can't say I am all that impressed. Vancouver seems to be in complete control of this game.
Dignitary

Post 26 Mar 2011, 4:40 pm

Oh and I hate the Union's Third colors.
Dignitary

Post 28 Mar 2011, 11:01 am

In terms of worst to first, it's much more likely in the east than in the west. NYRB did it last year. However, I was still going for a long shot, but with the additions of Davies, McCarty, and Onstad, I think they made similar improvements to the Union.

What didn't you like about the last game? The U still need to get more scoring in, but defensively, I think they're the best team in the league. Vancouver is not your typical expansion team. They're pretty good and might make a playoff run.
Dignitary

Post 28 Mar 2011, 7:40 pm

Guapo wrote:What didn't you like about the last game? The U still need to get more scoring in, but defensively, I think they're the best team in the league. Vancouver is not your typical expansion team. They're pretty good and might make a playoff run.

Well it looked like they were playing a offensive minded line but most of the game tempo seemed to be controlled by the Whtiecaps. It wasn't until Hassli(sp?) got redcarded out that the Union was able to start controlling the tempo.
Dignitary

Post 29 Mar 2011, 9:34 am

Novak is certainly conservative in his style. But you have to remember a few factors with that game in particular:
1. They had just thrashed Toronto in their opener. Toronto isn't a terrible team, and everyone was pretty surprised about that.
2. The caps had a huge unknown factor.
3. What was known is that they are big and can score.
4. The guys up top are still learning each other. Ruiz is new and Mwanga is new to starting.
5. The caps did play a little dirty, and got away with a lot until Hassli was sent off.

I'm not saying that the Union will turn around and score 4 goals next week, but they certainly didn't play their most aggressive game, and I understand why.
Dignitary

Post 29 Mar 2011, 9:38 am

by the way, i'll be at the game, doopin.
Dignitary

Post 29 Mar 2011, 6:20 pm

Are you back in the area?

My wife told me she was going to buy me something like a 5 game package as an anniversary gift.....then I got laid off and all discretionary spending got put on hold.
Dignitary

Post 30 Mar 2011, 9:21 am

Nah, I'm in Arizona. My brother and I are driving out to LA for the game. It'll be on one of the comcast stations in philly. I've been trying to find other Union fans going, but it may well be just me and Eric out there. We've got some signs.

I'm sorry to hear that, man. Maybe you should look elsewhere. I didn't stay in Philly long for that very reason.
Dignitary

Post 31 Mar 2011, 8:44 am

Guapo wrote:Nah, I'm in Arizona. My brother and I are driving out to LA for the game. It'll be on one of the comcast stations in philly. I've been trying to find other Union fans going, but it may well be just me and Eric out there. We've got some signs.

That's right. I forgot the game was at LA this week. I will be watching on Comcast. Though it will be hard. It doesn't start until 10:30pm and I get kind of excited which won't be good with everybody asleep.

I'll look for your signs in the stand.

Guapo wrote:I'm sorry to hear that, man. Maybe you should look elsewhere. I didn't stay in Philly long for that very reason.

Thanks. I appreciate the thoughts. Unfortunately, moving isn't really an option at least not yet. My wife is about 10 years away from being able to retire with full pension and benefits; as well as, being only 2 years away from hitting the big money portions of the pay scale. I can't really ask her to leave that. At least without put a very big effort into finding something local yet.
Dignitary

Post 05 Apr 2011, 11:31 am

The game was a blast. We were on the camera side, in the left corner, so I don't think there were any shots of us. Interestingly enough, the cameraman is from Merion (not sure lower or upper), and said he was rooting for the U.
Dignitary

Post 06 Apr 2011, 8:50 am

Glad you enjoyed it. I watched it on Comcast. It was a little frustrating to watch. Even up one they had a hard time really getting anything going. However, I guess against the Galaxy it was a decent showing.
Dignitary

Post 06 Apr 2011, 3:12 pm

The midfield needs some changes. Carrol and Miglioranzi play the same position. But I hate when they (and the national team) play two defensive midfielders. Miglioranzi is terrible. They have nobody who can distribute. Rumor has it Drogba is considering a move to MLS. I think he'd be great for the Union. While he's not a midfielder, he's a forward and can help us up top. That said, the Galaxy have a great defense. I'm not sure where it was against RSL, but they definitely showed up at that game. Ironically, I had to go to the men's room when LA scored. Had I just peed my pants instead, my undefeated record would be in tact.
Dignitary

Post 16 Apr 2011, 9:29 pm

Well, tonight's game was fun to watch. Though the Sounders goal in the 90th minute to tie it up kind of sucked.

However the Union seemed to be playing a much more aggressive game then they have so far this season. It took a little pressure off their back line which is good thing I guess. I see what you mean about Miglioranzi. At one point, he had the ball inside the 20 yard line without a single Sounder around him and I wide open line to the net. What does he do? passes it bacl. I mean come on, take the freakin shot.
Dignitary

Post 20 Apr 2011, 11:32 am

I am so disappointed that the Union passed on Feilhaber. The one thing the Union lack right now is a distributor. Feilhaber will make a big impact on the New England Revulsion, but I think he could have been the guy to make the Union one of the best teams in the league. Most power rankings have us at 4 or 5, but we could be 2 or 3 with him. It was like a gift from the gods when he signed with MLS. When sour cream and chives passed on him, I figured the U pick him up--especially after last saturday. We don't need better finishers. We need someone who can cut up the defense and distribute the ball to the finishers. But I digress. Maybe Holden will come back to MLS. lol fat chance.

@Randy: I really liked the moves DC made. Yes, I was going for a "shocker" but it was less of a shocker pick for me than maybe someone else. I'm still expecting them to pick it up and make the playoffs.