Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 30 Jun 2011, 7:22 am

RUFFHAUS 8 wrote:I wish there was a home game this weekend, dammit!

Uhm, there is a home game this weekend. D.C. is playing the Union in RFK saturday night at 7pm.

I will be recording it to watch on Tuesday so if you do see it, please do not comment on it until then.
Dignitary

Post 05 Jul 2011, 9:23 am

Finally got to wathc the game Randy. Your guys looked good. After all the scored 3 goals ;) as much as I wanted to see a win, I am happy with the results.
Dignitary

Post 05 Jul 2011, 7:39 pm

At least De Rosario looked like he was doing what he was brought in to do.
Dignitary

Post 05 Jul 2011, 8:09 pm

Sorry, guys, busy month. Randy, I hope you made it to the game. I'm fine with the result. As long as we have more wins than ties and losses, we're ok. DC may not win the table as I predicted, but I think my top 3 will hold. They're still a sharp team, and like the Union, they're putting the pieces together. I have a feeling I'll be making 1 more trip to HDC this year.
Dignitary

Post 07 Jul 2011, 7:43 am

Guapo wrote: DC may not win the table as I predicted, but I think my top 3 will hold. They're still a sharp team, and like the Union, they're putting the pieces together.

I not so sure Jeff. Randy's guys are good but they are currently 6th in the East and 5 pts behind the Crew in 3rd place. There are also some teams that are starting to play to a higher level. It looks like Sporting (what a crappy name btw) is really starting to surge since getting into the new stadium. I guess the question is can those teams keep up that level of play or is it just a surge due to not losing so many players to the Gold Cup (I don't know their rosters so I am not sure).
Statesman

Post 07 Jul 2011, 5:02 pm

Toronto just got thumped 0-5, and the wheel seem to be coming off the cart in Rickyland.

Wheels? What wheels?
I've never invested money in an FC ticket... but a business associate had season tickets.. Even the hard core who expected to suffer for a couple of seasons are getting fed up. He gave up most of his games.
Dignitary

Post 08 Jul 2011, 7:48 am

I just read that Jordan Harvey was traded to Vancouver. WHY? I mean seriously why would you break up one of the most effective defensive line in the league right now. I wonder who they are planning to go for with the extra allocation money.
Dignitary

Post 12 Jul 2011, 8:44 pm

I can only suspect that they are planning to make a move in the transfer window (starts in 3 days). I read an article that says Ruiz hasn't been resting. Instead, he's about to make a move to Mexico. More cash for the Union, the highest salary on the team gone. The question is--who. There are speculative rumors about Bornstein. I hope not. Not only would he be a downgrade from Harvey in my opinion, but he would use up their national team player slot on probably the worst of 40 possible players.
Dignitary

Post 14 Jul 2011, 3:51 pm

Well, I don't think he'd go with 3 defenders. If somehow Bradley were in the mix, I'd love it. But I've heard nothing, and I don't know the Nowak/Bradley connection. He's done the 2 holding midfielders before, but with terrible success. Of course, Bradley would be a marked improvement over Okugo/Miglioranzi, but I'm not a fan of 2 defensive midfielders. Bradley could also attack, so that makes it a more palatable option.
Dignitary

Post 18 Jul 2011, 9:26 pm

Dax would be a nice addition, but we really only need a striker. We can't play New England and Toronto every game.

I'd have a heart attack if Bradley signed. To be honest, I want him to stay in Europe. But I'd get over it if he played for the U.
Dignitary

Post 12 Aug 2011, 11:29 am

Freddy Adu. I'm excited beyond words. Nowak is a maniac
Dignitary

Post 12 Aug 2011, 12:32 pm

Harvey's departure has been serviced well by Gabe Farfan. But I was worried about not having a replacement for Ruiz. I don't care what position he plays, but the Union needed someone that can finish. Now Freddy is a bit more about creating chances, but I loved his play in the Gold Cup and was confused about why he wasn't playing against Mexico.

Anyway, I tihnk you're absolutely right about him, and I'm looking forward to seeing him play tomorrow. Ironic that he was already in Philly for the Nats.
Dignitary

Post 15 Aug 2011, 6:25 am

I was rather excited about the pick up of Adu and only hope that he has matured as a player. If he has, adding him to Mwanga and Le Toux upfront gives us a combo that can actually attack for 90 minutes. That combined with how well Gabe Farfan has been doing make the Jordan Harvey trade a little less aggravating.

Now all we have to do is get Paunovic out of the starting lineup in favor of Nakazawa and I think we may have a good line that can actually start to win games.

As an interesting aside there was an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer about Jack McInernney. The just of the article was how he is adjusting from being the best and star player, which he has been his entire life, to struggling to getting any playing time at all.
Dignitary

Post 15 Aug 2011, 9:44 am

RUFFHAUS 8 wrote:I went to the game at RFK last week to see DC United host Toronto. The game started off poorly for Untied, who lost goalkeeper Bill Hamid to a red card 9 minutes into the game. Hamid clearly fouled a toronto player outside the penalty area on a mishandled backpass/clearance. And while his play was reckless play, the red card was pretty harsh because the Toronto players never had possession of the ball, and the situation could never be considered a goal scoring opportunity. Still the play was reckless and foolish, and Hamid didn't help his case by wandering off and acting like he's done nothing wrong as if to hide from the ref. A little remorse and concern for the clearly embelishing Toronto player would have saved him a red card in my view. Anyway those are the breaks I get it.

What I don't get is 10 minutes later when Santino Quaranta gots chopped down in the penalty box as he's about to shoot on goal goes for no call. Utterly inconsistent officiating, and clearly the referee had an agenda to make his mark on the game, although certainly doing so in dubious fashion. The nonsense continued. For the entire game Toronto had no answer for former player DeWayne De Rosario but to foul him. By the end of the game Toronto's defenders had white #7's on thier hands and jerseys fromthe amount of contact they made with De Rosario's back, and that's setting aside all the arm swipes and ankle hacks. After a particularly aggregious offense the linesman threw his flag up to signal the refereee, only to inform him that DeRosraio had fouled the player hacking his ankles and two handing his back, and slapping his arms. The officiating was so bad that it was surrea, and then the unthinkable happened. With a 2-1 lead DC United asked for and received permission to make a substition. Before the substitute (Ethan White) took two stps on the field the referee allowe Toronto to restart the game right in front of the DC goal. Incredulous the players all sat there wondering why the official would do this. It was an absurdly partisan and irresponsible display of officiating all evening.

The game ended in a 3-3 tie, and was very exciting, but also very disappointing as the referee and his crew made a mockery of it.

DC look like the Union right now. They both have a lot of strong pieces, but neither team has yet to put it all together. The difficulty for United is that they're on the outside looking in right now, and they have to put it together sooner rather than later. The Union can skim into the playoffs before they need to go into hyperdrive.

But 2-1-2 is not a bad five game stretch, and they followed that game up with a thrashing of Vancouver. I saw a solid portion of that game. What was 4-0 could easily have been 6-0 or 7-0.
Last edited by Guapo on 15 Aug 2011, 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dignitary

Post 15 Aug 2011, 9:52 am

Archduke Russell John wrote:I was rather excited about the pick up of Adu and only hope that he has matured as a player. If he has, adding him to Mwanga and Le Toux upfront gives us a combo that can actually attack for 90 minutes. That combined with how well Gabe Farfan has been doing make the Jordan Harvey trade a little less aggravating.

Now all we have to do is get Paunovic out of the starting lineup in favor of Nakazawa and I think we may have a good line that can actually start to win games.

As an interesting aside there was an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer about Jack McInernney. The just of the article was how he is adjusting from being the best and star player, which he has been his entire life, to struggling to getting any playing time at all.

I have to disagree with you on Paunovic. In fact, I think his play against Dallas was stellar (despite missing a few finishes), and really the key to keeping us in the game (along with Califf's impeccable defense).

Paunovic was all over the pitch. He made several key passes, and a few huge defensive stops. His presence is giving LeToux the oppportunity to play his position instead of being the mad workhorse. Yes, he missed some scoring chances, but he's not a scorer--at least now in his position. Nakazawa has some great tools, and I'd use him as a second half sub, but the truth is that Paunovic gives us the best chance to win.